Bachata and Merengue from Cumbia songs?

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
The other day they were announcing a Cumbia concert and most of the music in the background are popular Bachata and Merengue songs but played as cumbia.

Two examples are my very favorite songs right how: Raulin's Hay Hombe and Toros Band's Vuelve Mi Reina. They are now playing the Cumbia versions more often on the radio. I'm upset that Raulin's version is only played during Domincan programs or special times, not during regular programming. I also will like to add that they sound TERRIBLE as cumbias!!

I KNOW it is very popular to just steal some music, specially in with this genre. But I really want to give both Los Toros Band and Raulin the benefit of the doubt since both are very popular and usually pretty credible...

I'm wondering who took from who here? - and I sigh because I know the answer, but still! What gives??

Lesly....

Indie

Bronze
Nov 15, 2002
So?

All we have to do is make "La Pollera Colora" a merengue sung by Oro Solido. How's THAT for retribution?

-Indie

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
most of the songs are originally Cumbias turned into Merengue.

Two Merengues that I like : El Desdichado - Hermanios Rosario and Losa Caminos de la Vida - Alex Bueno are originally cumbias.

I even think La Mangulina is originally a cumbia...I have to dbl check that

thick_neck

*** Sin Bin ***
Apr 6, 2004
Indie...

By Oro S?lido? Co?o, MamIndie, THAT was funny.

Tall,

Did you know that some bachata and merengue tunes were first done by cumbia groups?

-The Kid

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
thick_neck said:
Did you know that some bachata and merengue tunes were first done by cumbia groups?

OH Yes Thick I know that. Merengue and bachata are like Hip Hop, not much is original anymore...

Maybe is because I cant stand Cumbia. Just like many people say they hate the sound of bachata's guitars, I hate the accordion soooo much! I guess that's why it bothers me to hear the original - I have to come to terms with this, they werent Bachatas to begin with ...

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Here you go...

TD,

Not to take away from bachata and merengue artists because you know I would never do that but most bachatas (especially) are former vallenatos and cumbias. A classic example of borrowed songs made into other genres is much of the bachatas by Monchy and Alexandra. Their first album which was great don't get me wrong is full of remade vallenatos. The song "Hoja en blanco" is an original vallenato as well as other songs on the album. So I guess if the tide is going the other way "we have to take it" because a lot of bachatas and merengues are vallenatos. For example there is one merengue by los Toros Band from their album "Pa' la Calle" called "No pude quitarte las espinas" which is an original vallenato that I listen to and I was shocked when Los Toros Band converted it to merengue and bachata both versions on the same album. So far I have not heard any bachatas in a cumbia version as yet maybe I will soon. However, last weekend I went dancing and I did hear Ay hombe by Raulin in merengue borderline merengue-t?pico which shocked me but after I saw how the people were dancing I thought to myself: "Lo hicieron bien en merengue. Suena bien". So who knows. As well, I do like cumbia and vallenato so I may judge the versions differently but if I hear one I will let you know asap.

Talldrink said:
The other day they were announcing a Cumbia concert and most of the music in the background are popular Bachata and Merengue songs but played as cumbia.

Two examples are my very favorite songs right how: Raulin's Hay Hombe and Toros Band's Vuelve Mi Reina. They are now playing the Cumbia versions more often on the radio. I'm upset that Raulin's version is only played during Domincan programs or special times, not during regular programming. I also will like to add that they sound TERRIBLE as cumbias!!

I KNOW it is very popular to just steal some music, specially in with this genre. But I really want to give both Los Toros Band and Raulin the benefit of the doubt since both are very popular and usually pretty credible...

I'm wondering who took from who here? - and I sigh because I know the answer, but still! What gives??

Lesly....

Last edited:

Indie

Bronze
Nov 15, 2002
Semi-vindication...

Talldrink, good news! I heard "Carnaval" in bachata last night. We're getting there, sister!

-Indie

Indie

Bronze
Nov 15, 2002
You know the song Celia Cruz sings...."la vida es un carnaval"......well, I heard it played as a bachata. I'm not sure who was singing the bachata due to my untrained-bachata ears, but it was one of the more popular singers.

Anyway, from a semi-cumbia (or whatever genre "Carnaval" is......tropical salsa?) to bachata.....doesn't that make you happy? :classic:

-Indie

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Indie,

You didn't say how it sounded. I can't imagine such a nice & lively song being converted into a slow bachata. Was the bachata version good? The reason why I ask is because yesterday I was in the music store once again and I saw a bachata cd that's called "Tribute to Celia Cruz" en bachata. So I was wondering. Don't keep me in suspense.

Indie said:
You know the song Celia Cruz sings...."la vida es un carnaval"......well, I heard it played as a bachata. I'm not sure who was singing the bachata due to my untrained-bachata ears, but it was one of the more popular singers.

Anyway, from a semi-cumbia (or whatever genre "Carnaval" is......tropical salsa?) to bachata.....doesn't that make you happy? :classic:

-Indie

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
Indie said:

-Indie

Indie- I heard a verson it was by Elvis Martinez on one of his CD's " Tres Palabras". Not sure if it's the one you heard. I'm a huge fan of his and a friend gave me the older CD because I loved some of the songs on it and that's when I heard the Carnaval song. I know the song well from Celia Cruz's album and was a bit shocked :surprised to hear it as a Bachata?? As it had me a bit confused it wasn't bad. I do love the Salsa version of course and as you said it's a classic!!
I love my bachata music :laugh: !

Can't wait to go dancing later :classic: !

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Oh boy!!

Anybody who is a music lover (and please, don't tell me that you know music just because you like bachata and merengue) knows that most, not all, bachatas and merengues comes from cumbias, vallenatos and boleros. Merengueros and bachateros have been doing it for years and years.

Go back a few years and you will find out that 90% (more or less) of Jochy Hernandez's merengues were cumbias recorded by Pastor Lopez.

Someone once told me: "that merengue by Fernandito Villalona, "Dominicano Soy", should be another dominican anthem", to which I responded: "just don't tell Ignacio Roman since he wrote it for Chiquetete back in 1983 as "Gitano Soy"!!!!.

It's easier to "piratear" a song than to write it!.

Oche

Jan 6, 2004
I know what you mean, even some "fusilamientos" can be even better than the originals. Example: Susana...i love this 80's merengue classic song, it is even nostalgic for me even though i was only a kid in the 80's when i first heard it. But on the otherhand, there can be horrible "fusilamientos", i just heard by accident a few days ago, the crappiest version of Sting's "Every breath you take" in spanish and in bachata.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
In general I think remakes from one version to another are horrible. In my opinion there are very few genres that cross over well into another. As I mentioned earlier in my previous post most merengues and bachatas are original cumbias and vallenatos. But my question is why the lack of originality on the part of the artists? However, not all are "pirates". Raulin Rodriguez is one the most original although he does have a few borrowed songs in his repertoire but for the most part he is one of the few bachateros that stand out in my mind as "original" because he writes is own songs.

Oche-

I could imagine how horrible that must of sounded.

Last edited:

Indie

Bronze
Nov 15, 2002
Lesley, I didn't like it. The bachata version isn't good at all, I guess because I'm used to hearing the livelier, original upbeat version of the song. It was slow and choppy....like a bachata, but a really bad one. And as I listened I remembered Talldrink's amargura regarding cumbias from bachatas and merengues.

The song might be included in the CD you mention. Again, I don't know who was singing it but the voice seemed familiar.

Music, most likely it was Elvis Martinez since there aren't many "Carnaval" bachata songs out there. Anyway, enjoy and have fun dancing tonight!

-Indie

Last edited:

Joeviocoe

Aug 20, 2004
Bachata song driving me crazy

Does anyone know the name of the song or at least the title of this bachata song:
(Girl Crying)
Mi Amor, perdoname....

(Guy)
No puedo

(Girl)
Porque? Porque?...

(Guy Sings)......

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Joeviocoe,

Where did you hear it? It doesn' t ring a bell (yet)? I would love to help.

Joeviocoe said:
Does anyone know the name of the song or at least the title of this bachata song:
(Girl Crying)
Mi Amor, perdoname....

(Guy)
No puedo

(Girl)
Porque? Porque?...

(Guy Sings)......

LaPinea

Mar 18, 2004
I've heard it in a few bachata mix cd's I have to see what is the name. I actually hate it, it is so annoying!