Which nations people make the best tourists?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Listerrose

May 31, 2004
As the DR gets 100's of 1000's visitors each year who in your opinions are most welcome back and why?

Who would you prefer stayed away and why?

Please also state if you are a DR national or expat (incl orginal nation)

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Listerrose said:
As the DR gets 100's of 1000's visitors each year who in your opinions are most welcome back and why?

Who would you prefer stayed away and why?

Please also state if you are a DR national or expat (incl orginal nation)
Yesterday evening I was speaking to a Dominicana who was working
at a bar restaurant after asking me where I came from said she prefered Americans. Not sure if this was because I was an American but that is what she said.

Scott

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
All tourists are nice to have

Some are not as nice as others. French-Canadians are notorious for not tipping, but they are nice to have around.

Tourism can never play favorites.

Some places are catering to the very, very wealthy, and some are looking to provide Joe Schmoe a decent holiday. It is the same in Mallorca, or Cancun or Havana.

HB, DR resident curmudgeon

thick_neck

*** Sin Bin ***
Apr 6, 2004
Well, I'm Dominican from Higuey, and know lots of people that have worked in Punta Cana, B?varo and Bayahibe, including some relatives whom are still working there.

According to them, the very best tourists come from Puerto Rico and Canada. They say that PRicans are the most generous and complain the least, and that Canadian women rock.

A typical complain about certain nationalities is lack of personal hygiene.

-Joseito

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
On fait le party

French-Canadians are notorious for not tipping, but they are nice to have around.
Whuuuuuuut? No way, man. French Canadians are well versed in restaurant etiquette. Even those of the most meagre means know how to order the wine and don't chintz on the tip. Locally, we give 15% right off the bat, and more if service is above average.

When I was waitressing in Sosua, I was left things like a menta-Halls (thanks, German dude), pocket lint (Spanish), a condom (good ole American sense of humour).

Back on topic: I love the Dutch.

xamaicano

Apr 16, 2004
thick_neck said:
Well, I'm Dominican from Higuey, and know lots of people that have worked in Punta Cana, B?varo and Bayahibe, including some relatives whom are still working there.

According to them, the very best tourists come from Puerto Rico and Canada. They say that PRicans are the most generous and complain the least, and that Canadian women rock.

A typical complain about certain nationalities is lack of personal hygiene.

-Joseito

Well, that goes without saying. :cheeky:

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
xamaicano said:
Well, that goes without saying. :cheeky:

I live in Canada... I agree that Canadians/some Americans are welcome back a lot more..... I am Polish....... but theres not too many Polish travellers that go to DR, so my answer is Canadians !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
What a "loaded" question!

Just like Dominican girls answer the question,"Which country's men are the "BEST",by saying "American" to Americans,Italian,to Italians,German,to Germans,etc.The same will go for Tourists.Dominicans will always tell you what you want to hear!

This is,however,a good oportunity to use my "Canadian" joke......

What is the difference between a canoe,and a "Canadian?????

Sooner or later,a Canoe "Tips"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tust mean "French Canadians" right???? :D :p ;) CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Yan-Yan

Sep 22, 2003
This is a great question.... I'm a Dominican who worked in the DR Hotel/Resort industry in PUJ and POP for many years... And believe me we DO have favorites!

Most favorite: Canadians and Italians (friendly, polite; not too generous (with tipping), but great people to deal with under the worst circumstances!). :D

Americans can either be the best or the worst, you just never know... Some can be the meanest and rudest persons you can find... Others can be the most generous and friendly... It's a lottery. :confused:

The worst: I have NEVER found anything worse than an Argentinean!! Second place goes for Russians! I'll give the 3rd place to the French!... There is a frog in the garden, they complain; the balcony is not 4 feet 3 inches high, they complain; the water is too cold, they complain; the water is too hot; they complain; the sand is too white, they complaint; there is too much food, they complain... "This" or "that" is not like in Argentina/Russia/France, more complains!! :disappoin

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Chareena said:
Anybody of you Dominicans or expats who has an honest opinion about Scandinavians tourists? Perhaps there are so few of us that nobody has noticed us...

Just curious.

I have met some Finns and Swedes, they don't complainat all, then again they where not into the AI type of set up, so that, off the bat, makes for a more tolerant-adventorous traveler.

Finns drink like they have no liver. Hence, they are fun.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
In my youth I worked in tourism in many countries and in the US. There was one common complaint.

CANADIANS ARE CHEAP!

They don't tip. They don't spend money. Of course the French Canadians were the worse offenders.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Tony C said:
In my youth I worked in tourism in many countries and in the US. There was one common complaint.

CANADIANS ARE CHEAP!

They don't tip. They don't spend money. Of course the French Canadians were the worse offenders.

Tony, when you get a clue, come back and comment, please. Your Canadian-bashing is getting rather old and tiresome. I've worked in a Canadian bar for years, making $150/night in a 6-hour shift, having entirely Canadian clientele. I myself never tip less than 15-20% (especially in the DR, where I know the waiters/hairdressers need it more than I do), unless the service is really bad, and in that case, I will tell Management and the waiter and classify the tip. Attitude is everything...poor attitude = poor tip...hmmmmmmm

I could say Cubans are rude and ignorant, but then I'd only be basing my opinion on one person...

Last edited:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Good post, Yan Yan. I'd really like to hear from more Dominicans on this one. I've worked in tourism here, too, quite a while back, but I'm not Dominican. I know who I thought were whiny, arrogant, racist, impatient etc etc, but it is quite likely that the Dominican perception is different.
One small anecdote....2 adults book a tour, knowing they suffer from coach sickness, knowing how long the drive is.....then complain that the tour guide (me!) is not equipped with anti travel sickness pills! I'm ashamed to say they were Brits.
Come on, Dominican workers in tourism, let us have it!

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
Americans as a group not always seen as the best - BUT in the north coast strong favoriblity towards the midwesterners i.e. Minnesotans, Wisconsonites, from the dakotas - usally high tippers and laid back people.

Red_Girl

Mar 5, 2004
I think it has to do with those gazillions of us who have worked in the service industry...I have seen plenty of great Canadian tippers and plenty of El Cheapos. On my last vacation, the friend I was with couldn't believe that I was tipping the bartender at our resort. She thought that you didn't have to tip at AIs. Maybe a misconception? Who knows...I know I'm a good tipper, and I can only be responsible for ME! I heard complaints about French people not tipping, though, from my tour guide friend in the DR.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
trina said:
Tony, when you get a clue, come back and comment, please. Your Canadian-bashing is getting rather old and tiresome. I've worked in a Canadian bar for years, making $150/night in a 6-hour shift, having entirely Canadian clientele. I myself never tip less than 15-20% (especially in the DR, where I know the waiters/hairdressers need it more than I do), unless the service is really bad, and in that case, I will tell Management and the waiter and classify the tip. Attitude is everything...poor attitude = poor tip...hmmmmmmm

I could say Cubans are rude and ignorant, but then I'd only be basing my opinion on one person...
A case of another hysterical woman getting all emotional and lashing out at the Messenger.
All I did was just state what everybody else says. Don't like it? Too Bad. But then canada always had self-esteem issues. What do you expect? Canada isn't even a real country.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Tony C said:
A case of another hysterical woman getting all emotional and lashing out at the Messenger.

Typical Tony answer, but then they do say it takes one to know one. I won't even dignify the rest of your answer with a response, no one needs to help you look like a complete fool, you do quite a great job yourself.

Last edited:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Tony C said:
All I did was just state what everybody else says. Don't like it? Too Bad. But then canada always had self-esteem issues. What do you expect? Canada isn't even a real country.

What's your definition of a real country. You must have had a women stolen from you by one of us real men(Canadian) to be so anti- Canada.
On the tipping issue, yea there are lots of Canadians, Americans....etc that don't tip. There is more to being a good(polite, respectful) tourist than tipping. Respecting another countries(Dominican Republic) people and culture would be at the top of my list.

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Belgians, hands down !!!

While working at POP Village, we had weekly arrivals from Canada, US, England, Germany, Belgium among others. My experience was the Belgiums were the most relaxed, most appreciative, and in general, the sweetest people. These people have had to learn 3 languages right off the get go because of the location of their country so they are very adaptable. They are extremely polite as well. Next inline I would have to say the Brits were full of life and fun to be around. Then there was a toss up between the Americans and Canadians. American midwesterners would top the Americans and west coast Canadians and east coast Canadians were the better of all Canadians. Germans would be next and French Canadians would be at he bottom of the list.
With having said that, do not jump all over me if you feel offended. I am basing my opinion on my own experience. The reasoning for French Canadians at the bottom was I saw way too many times the Dominican waiters being treated like dirt by them. One time a lady demanded the waiter to speak French to her, not English, when he replied that he didn't know enough French she went on a tyrant. She came up to me and spoke to me in French, when I said I did not understand, she said "what kind of Canadian are you, you are dirt!! Then, the waiter, who I thought was very bold, said "Tell me, when I come to Quebec, will you speak to me in Spanish then!!!!
So, that and many other experiences lead me to these conclusions.
Marlie

Status
Not open for further replies.