first time in dr

HDS

Jul 21, 2004
Hi!
I am going to be in dr for a week in august ( I am coming for work Santo Domingo for a couple of days, and have decided to stay a few more days to explore).

But I couldn't find any friends to go with me. I would really like to visit Puerto Plata and the surrounding towns. If I had company, I would take the bus and not follow the tourist crowd.

I have read other posts about sankies, getting followed on the beach..., prostitutes, and I'm getting a little scared i might spend my stay in the hotel and never venture out

Does anyone have advice on the safest places/things to do for a woman traveler who speaks english and a little spanish?

thank you!

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
My advice is this...

If you are going to Santo Domingo for a very quick job thing and then you have a few extra days of "Vacation", you should not toy with going to Puerto Plata (POP for short). POP is just way too far away for such a limited time.

I would suggest for you to head into the Zona Colonial of Santo Domingo (the oldest European city in the Hemisphere) and discover its nooks and crannies. Very atmospheric and historic part of town. Plus, it has a lively bar scene and some nice restaurants. If you want a taste of beach life, head for Boca Chica or Juan Dolio for one day.

That should whet your appetite of the DR. Hope you decide to return later on, but on a real 2 weeks vacation! Then head to the north coast!

HDS

Jul 21, 2004
Nal0whs said:
If you are going to Santo Domingo for a very quick job thing and then you have a few extra days of "Vacation", you should not toy with going to Puerto Plata (POP for short). POP is just way too far away for such a limited time.

I would suggest for you to head into the Zona Colonial of Santo Domingo (the oldest European city in the Hemisphere) and discover its nooks and crannies. Very atmospheric and historic part of town. Plus, it has a lively bar scene and some nice restaurants. If you want a taste of beach life, head for Boca Chica or Juan Dolio for one day.

That should whet your appetite of the DR. Hope you decide to return later on, but on a real 2 weeks vacation! Then head to the north coast!

Actually I will be in Santo Domingo for 4 days (work) and I have 7 days of vacation after that. I am guessing I might have some tours organized through work in those 4 days. What happens in Santo Domingo on August 16th ( I understand it is a holiday). Do all the shops, banks, museums close for the holiday?

KenoshaChris

Jan 4, 2002
Safe Company

In Sosua, you can always hang with myself and Marco and you'll be in good and protected company. Worst case scenario is Isabel and I can shift a couple of kids and you can have a room for yourself. We've done it a couple of times now. Marco has the hotel rooms at his place which are very clean, safe and $15.00 U.S. per night. P.M. me or Rocky (Marco) and you'll be well taken care of and safe in Sosua. Not a problem for any of us. We enjoy doing this for people and you'll find many people througout the country that would enjoy having you as a guest. Don't be bashful.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Stay in the Capital

There a tons of threads on this site about the happenings in the Capital, nice sightseeing, gambling and partying. Get a map and adventure there will be plenty of things to keep you occupied. Leave jewelry in the hotel safe, walk around with Pesos only! Don't carry your cell phone on your hip and stay out of dark alleys :bandit:
Have Fun!

ps. Take a cab to Boca Chica RD$500. Sunday's are really crowded.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
I don't know any reason you would want to spend any more time than needed in the Capitol. 4 days work will give you ample evenings to visit Zona Colonial and many other places. Get out of that HOT, UGLY, Gawd Forsaken City and see what this beautiful country has to offer.

I only go to the capitol when I have to. Rest of the country is beautiful and every place is a view!

Scott

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
KenoshaChris said:
Worst case scenario is Isabel and I can shift a couple of kids and you can have a room for yourself. We've done it a couple of times now.

I love seeing things like this. KenoshaChris just offered to share his home with a perfect stranger. Chris, I don't know if you realize how brilliantly this reflects upon you.

There are several people who post on here who attempt to project the image of do-gooders. They lash out at the slightest hint of racism and attempt to make themselves out to be solvers of all that is wrong with the world; and at the same time place themselves slightly above the rest of us as they preach with their condecending tones....but when do I ever see them open their doors to strangers like this? Where are they now?

KenoshaChris, your true colors are shining brightly. I would like to meet you and shake your hand.

Larry

Last edited:

HDS

Jul 21, 2004
KenoshaChris said:
In Sosua, you can always hang with myself and Marco and you'll be in good and protected company. Worst case scenario is Isabel and I can shift a couple of kids and you can have a room for yourself. We've done it a couple of times now. Marco has the hotel rooms at his place which are very clean, safe and $15.00 U.S. per night. P.M. me or Rocky (Marco) and you'll be well taken care of and safe in Sosua. Not a problem for any of us. We enjoy doing this for people and you'll find many people througout the country that would enjoy having you as a guest. Don't be bashful.

Thank you KenoshaChris for your kind offer. However I have decided to stay in SD and explore the area around SD on day trips. A friend of mine has decided to come with me. So I will be soaking up the local culture and keeping away from the AIs etc...

I will take you up on your offer if I decide to come back for a trip to the north coast...
thanks again,
Rose

NubeLuz

Jul 23, 2004
HDS said:
Hi!
I am going to be in dr for a week in august ( I am coming for work Santo Domingo for a couple of days, and have decided to stay a few more days to explore).

But I couldn't find any friends to go with me. I would really like to visit Puerto Plata and the surrounding towns. If I had company, I would take the bus and not follow the tourist crowd.

I have read other posts about sankies, getting followed on the beach..., prostitutes, and I'm getting a little scared i might spend my stay in the hotel and never venture out

Does anyone have advice on the safest places/things to do for a woman traveler who speaks english and a little spanish?

thank you!

There's only 1 advice I can give you, don't ever stay in your room just because of what you heard about sankies and prostitutes. They're not dangerous. Of course you always have to use your common sense like you would do anywhere else. Sankies might sometimes be annoying but not mean or disrespectful and pros mind their own business and won't bug you or give you problems. As I said you have to use your common sense but remember that if you are in a touristic area (discos for example), there will be sankies and pros but my opinion based on MY experience, you will not get in trouble with them and would miss a wonderful time by staying in your room !!!!!! I'm sure you'll make a lots of new friends by working in SD (santo domingo) for a couple of days and they will all want to take you around to have you discover wonderful DR, so you might want to consider spending the rest of your vacation near SD or La Romana region. Good luck and enjoy your stay !!!!
Nubeluz