How much U.S. cash should we bring?

Casey 1956

Jan 12, 2002
Hi Everybody!

We plan to go to the D.R. for three weeks this august. Our budget,

my ladyfriend and I, will be $100 U.S.D. per day. We plan to bring

two credit cards, two ATM cards and some U.S. cash. As far as cash

is concerned what would you recomend that we bring? Are the ATM

outlets so good that it will not be necessary to carry cash?

Thanks for your time,

Steve and Helen

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
On ATM cards, don't want to unduly alarm what sounds to be a very nice couple.....but, go into search function & look up Banco Popular, ATM problems, or similar words. This may answer that question. If you are bringing cash/travel cheques dollars probably the best currency.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Bring enough cash for your trip and don't mess with ATM's or credit cards. How much you need to bring depends on your budget. I, myself bring about $100.00 USD per day for myself ( that includes hotel room) but never spend it. Do a search of what things cost and decide for yourselves.

Larry

Casey 1956

Jan 12, 2002
Thanks

Thanks for your replies.

We plan to bring everything: ATM cards, Credit Cards, Travellers Checks

and U.S. cash about $1000.

Steve and Helen

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Just a word to the wise

Keep the cash out of sight.

You can use your CCs at your hotel or any of the main commercial establishments.
Change as little as you need for a day or so of making merry. Do NOT EVER change money on the street. Go to a Casa de Cambio and get a receipt.

Beyond that, bring good sun block and a bit of bug repellant and you are all set!

HB :D:D:D

Casey 1956

Jan 12, 2002
Thank You!

Hi,

You are all right never change on the street and bring more TCs and less

cash. Our new plan of action is to bring $1800 in TCs and $300 in cash

plus the ATMs and credit cards.

Tipping? Should we tip in Pesos or U.S. dollars or a combination

of both?

Thanks,

Steve and Helen

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
If the bill is in pesos, I'd tip in pesos. Some establishments have dollarised, so again tip in same currency as the bill. It's less hassle than having to work out the exchange rate & paying in 2 currencies. On your bills you'll see a 12% charge called ITBIS, this is a tax, & in some places 10% service charge is added. If you have had good service (& a few dance lessons thrown in!!) I would still tip on top of the service charge - even a small amount is appreciated.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Don't forget

Don't forget to hold on to your yellow receipt if you change money at the airport and would like to change your left over pesos back to "good ole green backs" If you lose that receipt, they will only change up to $20USD.

ps. I only use RD$ and I leave my US$ at the hotel.