A Computer Question

brian richards

Jan 2, 2004
We have our Computer in the UK. it works on 240v over here, now we would like to bring it to the DR in November. We have it set up exactly as we need it. so would it be possible to run it on the 110v supply in the DR, or would it be better for me to strip the guts out and bring them with me and install them in a new tower with a 110v supply. Its just the hardware that we require to bring with us, Motherboard, Hard drives, modem, graphics card cables etc. Also would we have to pay duties for bringing them in.

Thanks
Brian

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
At present computers do not pay any import duties, they do however pay and "exchange commission" which I believe to be somewhere around 10%.

Customs will determine on its own how much to charge you 10% of, they will most likely not take any invoice you show them into account. If you stress the fact that this is used equipment, this should not be much.

About the power, it's not your computer itself that uses 110, it's the power supply. Most of these have a switch in the back that selects 110 or 220, (it's usually red and recessed) If not, the power supply itself can be replaced very economically.

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
UK PC Hardware

No problem, I just totally rebuilt mine here from UK componenets using my 110V power supplied tower.
Brought all the stuff in a small case slung over my shoulder through POP - again - no problem - no customs!!
Only local problem is keeping the damn PC on at all times to prevent (hot/cold) condensation and rusting of the power pack, drives and MB!!!
Good luck
Peter

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
"Switchable" power supplies for PC's.

Did you know that the red switch on the back of a power supply is no longer legal in the UK and consequently they are becoming rare? All new PC's sold in the UK must not have this very useful function (More EU nonsense). There was a time when you could open up the power supply and still find the switch inside but I think they've changed the circuit board designs now, but as was discussed they're cheap enough to buy here.

A friend of mine who owns a pc support company did tell me of the time he asked a client to throw the switch on the back of the unit .....boom!!!!

Simon

KrackedKris

On Vacation!
Apr 8, 2004
Simon & Nicky said:
Did you know that the red switch on the back of a power supply is no longer legal in the UK and consequently they are becoming rare? All new PC's sold in the UK must not have this very useful function (More EU nonsense). There was a time when you could open up the power supply and still find the switch inside but I think they've changed the circuit board designs now, but as was discussed they're cheap enough to buy here.

A friend of mine who owns a pc support company did tell me of the time he asked a client to throw the switch on the back of the unit .....boom!!!!

Simon

I don't know about other "brands," but Sony and Compaq (HP also) have dual voltage auto sensing power supplies

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Explain how much of a problem this is....

Simon & Nicky said:

Simon

Because I have my computer in Santiago that I have been running for a year and I never have experienced any problems...but of course it may be around the corner. Where are you located and how would I check my computer for this problem?

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
No problem

Snuffy said:
Because I have my computer in Santiago that I have been running for a year and I never have experienced any problems...but of course it may be around the corner. Where are you located and how would I check my computer for this problem?

- Unless you intend to take your computer to the UK you have no problem. We have different power to that of here or the US. The UK uses a body convulsing 240V whereas here (when available) and in the States it's a tingly 110V.

You shouldn't worry so much!

Simon

Dec 9, 2002
Hmmmmm

Body convulsing and tingly - brilliant choice of words!
My PC is a year old, just looked at the back out of curiosity, you're right - no voltage selection switch.