Dominican Retirement?

dreamin

Jul 25, 2004
Hi all, what a great forum with lots of good information. I must say I'm confused about all the negative comments about living in DR, yet there is a lot of you who do reside there. My wife and I have been to the DR many times and love it. We are not the kind of people who stay on the resort and say " wow the DR is a great place".... that is not the Dominican Republic!. We like to get out amongst the locals and see exactly what it's really like, and we have found that you have to be very cautious about everything you do. (common sense) We try to remember that we are the visitors! My wife and I are planning our retirement and the Dominican Republic is on our list of possible places to live. Obviously some of you live there because you love the weather, you love the people, or maybe cheap retirement etc. Our plan would eventually have us buying a small two bedroom house (no mortgage) and a vehicle to get around in, and hopefully live on $1800 US a month. I'm thinking this would be enough to live on in the Dominican Republic. Comments, suggestions? :classic:

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Si, senor!

dreamin said:
Hi all, what a great forum with lots of good information. I must say I'm confused about all the negative comments about living in DR, yet there is a lot of you who do reside there. My wife and I have been to the DR many times and love it. We are not the kind of people who stay on the resort and say " wow the DR is a great place".... that is not the Dominican Republic!. We like to get out amongst the locals and see exactly what it's really like, and we have found that you have to be very cautious about everything you do. (common sense) We try to remember that we are the visitors! My wife and I are planning our retirement and the Dominican Republic is on our list of possible places to live. Obviously some of you live there because you love the weather, you love the people, or maybe cheap retirement etc. Our plan would eventually have us buying a small two bedroom house (no mortgage) and a vehicle to get around in, and hopefully live on $1800 US a month. I'm thinking this would be enough to live on in the Dominican Republic. Comments, suggestions? :classic:
I am NOT even going to say anything about the negative comments because as I always say "you don't like it, LEAVE"!!!. Now, about living with your wife on US$1,800 a month, if buy a home, OF COURSE YOU CAN LIVE ON THAT AMOUNT!!. Now, if you are planning to go out with your friends every single day and pay their ways, then forget about it. That amount, if you and your wife are simple people, would be more than enough.

dreamin

Jul 25, 2004
Thanks Miguel

Thanks Miguel, my wife and I have simple requirements. We like gardening and maybe go out for dinner two nights per week with other expats, but they can pay there own way ha! ha!

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
I think you can live on this amount. I myself am building a 3 bedroom house for about $20,000. You must be aware the nearest hospitals that I would use are in Santiago. I think food would cost you guys about $200 - $300 a month roughly. (Home cooking). You could dine out a few nights a week as well for another $100-$200 a month. I would skip the car, too many hassles and stick with public transportation.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Hi dreamin I moved here in 96 and rented for 2 years and then bought some land and built a house at a total cost of $6,000 dollars. As there are no building codes or inspectors you can build as you wish and I belive it would be cheaper then buying a house already built. Plus there is the fact that in reality the house construction here is poorly done by or standards. In the 8 years that I have been here the only real problem that I have had is if my Dominican wife or my son should get sick as the medical profession leaves a lot to be desired. I live pretty well on my $1,300 retirement check and get around on my 125cc motorcycle and my wife has her 70cc motorscotter, otherwise we use public transportation. Hope this helps in your decision making.
Rick

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Dream no more, dreamin, DO it! Yes, U.S $1800 per month after house & car are bought, is sufficient for 2 people, simple lifestyle, which I assume does not include the "party set" propping up the gringo bars! (Someone is bound to take offence at that, but hopefully you get my drift!).
If you gravitate to an area where there are lots of gringos, you will find prices for everything reflect that. So, do your homework, there are plenty of places which the newer residents haven't moved to......yet.
I agree with Jimmydr's cost of living analysis. Our home cost a lot more than his & we built ourselves, but, different strokes for different folks. We deliberately chose an upmarket area surrounded by Dominicans.....it would have been a lot cheaper if we had chosen an area more in the countryside, & these can still be found.
Disagree on the car though, I spent the first 2 years here being too scared to drive & the last 10 years driving & not exactly loving it, but certainly beginning to get used to it. Wouldn't be without a solid, safe, high off the ground jeepeta now. Good luck to you.