Is there a Semena Ferry

D

Dianne Christy

First, does anyone know if there is a Ferry between Semema and Sabana Da La Mar. On my map, a line appears between the two, but does not indicate what it is for. It the US it would be ferry crossing. Please let me know. Thanks. Dianne

D

DR One

There is a project for a ferry to begin this year. Could be any month now. The ferry would allow for vehicle crossing. At present, there is a passenger boat that makes the crossing.

D

David

Re: Is there a Samana Ferry

There is a passenger ferry that crosses from Samana to Sabana de la Mar. I believe it goes three times a day. I took the 9 am ferry from Samana in May and it cost RD$25 and took about an hour and a half. There are seats inside or outside on the deck if you prefer. Note that when you get to Sabana de la Mar, the harbor is too shallow for the boat, so it anchors about 200 yards from the pier. You then transfer onto a smaller rowboat (actually pulled by locals who are up to their necks in water) to the pier. This will cost you an extra RD$10. There is very little to see or do in Sabana de la Mar but there are frequent guaguas to Hato Mayor and San Pedro de Marcoris.