FAO Peter/Alex

poppy1

Jul 26, 2004
Hi :)

I've been given your name by the wonderous Gregg from Debbie's travel forums as he says you may be able to answer a question for me.

My husband and I have finally managed to persuade my inlaws to come to DR with us and are treating them for their 50th wedding anniversary in April of next year. My father-in-law has stable angina for which he has to take a cocktail of drugs every day. I should add that he is very active and providing he does as he's supposed to (more or less) he has a great life and is rarely ill. He usually upgrades his insurance policy so that he is completely covered. We are staying at the Riu Bachata and did notice a medical centre at the resort when we were there last year, there is also apparently a doctor on site. I suppose really my question is what happens if the worst were to happen.

Would we be able to get my FIL to a hospital quickly and would we be completely covered by insurance or have to stump the money up front and claim after. I am more than sure from reading various boards that things would be absolutely fine but for my FIL's peace of mind I'm making sure I have all the answers to put his mind at rest.

Many thanks

Sara

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Fao?

What's FAO? Schwartz, the toy company?

Where is Riu Bachata, what town? I'd want to be as close to the capital or maybe Santiago (I am assuming Santiago has something akin to say, Clinica Abreu) for a good North American standard hospital since I would not trust a resort doctor with my dog and he's dead.

You insurance company is a good place to start - do they have recommended hospitals in the DR? Will they arrange direct payment? My plan will tell you that in advance.

You may want to look at this site, if he's under 75 years old (and their Diamond Plan if over) - http://www.medjetassistance.com/ who will scoop him up and run to the USA to wherever you want after day one of a hospital. For US$195 a year it seems appropriate and there is no pre-qualification.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
ricktoronto said:
What's FAO? Schwartz, the toy company?

Where is Riu Bachata, what town?

You insurance company is a good place to start - do they have recommended hospitals in the DR? Will they arrange direct payment?

QUOTE]

Come on Rick, .... I'm sure YOU can work out FAO = For Attention Of!! It is very commonly used in business circles on e-mails/faxes etc!!

I think the Riu Bachata in question is the one at Maimon Bay just outside (on the Western side) Puerto Plata. If this is the case, then the nearest DECENT medical centre is Centro Medico de Bournigal & the Chief Administrator is Dr Redondo. They have a GOOD reputation re medical attention, but I have heard comments that they might operate first & ask questions afterwards!! NOT good if going for a hernia operation on males, as they might remove appendages that would be prefered to be kept attached to the body!! YES, the chances of the accepting (& being accepted by) the insurance company policy you have, is VERY high.

Poppy1. I suggest you do a search on Peter & Alex as posters, find one of their posts & then click on Private Messages section. Send them a PM & I am sure they will reply! - Grahame.