Cell Phone

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
It's Time for Jeopardy!

mankind said:
Going to study in Santiago what would be the best cell phone.

This answer needs to be in the form of a question.

Signed Alex Trebek.

Get an Orange phone for about US$30-50 and keep it going with the cards. Phones are phones are phones. If you like Codetel/Verizon and the phone is cheap enough, buy one of them instead.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Coverage areas

I used to have an orange phone that I plugged cards into. Only problem was the damn thing rarely worked!!! Their coverage area is awefull. I have found Verizon to be much more dependable.....

Just my 2 cents worth...

Paulino

Jan 4, 2002
Orange works fine in Santiago

mankind said:
Going to study in Santiago what would be the best cell phone.

As far as I can tell Orange has good coverage in Santiago and most other built-up areas, with one notable exception - still in my personal experience - being Luperon on the North Coast.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
coverage

I do disagree on coverage areas. My experience has been that Orange was awefull here. If I went inside a hotel at playa dorada, I lost coverage. If I went inside a store, I lost coverage. Many areas of Sosua and Cabarete - no coverage. The road to Santiago - very little coverage. Carretera Turistica - no coverage. Parts of Santiago - no coverage.

I guess it depends what you are going to use the phone for and how important coverage vs price is! For me - I use it for business and it is critical that I have coverage!

T

TiberiusMineola

Combination PDA & cell phone!! Yes!!

Consider this combination. Most useful. You can synchronize all of your P I M data with nearly any PC. Great for entering dates & notes. Handsrping Treo seems to be the best. Samsung makes 1; I think that the other major cell phone manufactureres do also. More $, but worth it. Codetel wants 20,000 Pesos for the Samsung model it has in stock. Too much $. Shop around. I have a Treo 270 & orange servie, in POP. So far, I'm well satisfied.