Property question

kellieLL

Oct 16, 2003
Hi all. Not sure if this is the right forum for this question, but I'll give it a shot.

My boyfriend and I would like to buy about an acre (I know the term for property division is different there) near the ocean on the north coast.

Question is this: If we buy the property, but have no intention of building on it for five years (or living in DR until then, for that matter) how closely do we have to keep an eye on it in the meantime?

Can people squat on the property? Do we need to watch for neighbors building on our area? How carefully do the laws protect property owners?

The main reason for this question is that we're going to be super busy for the next three or four years and may not have time to return to DR.

ANy advice?

Gracias,

K

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Yes, people can and do squat on vacant land. Where is the land you have in mind located? Inside a development is one thing, open land that is not part of any development is another. You are more likely to have trouble with squaters if it is the latter. But there are ways to protect yourself. Tell us a little more about the land you are considering.

kellieLL

Oct 16, 2003
Yes, we're interested in land in the open and not in a development. It's on the north coast.

Can you tell me what we could do to protect squating?

Ken said:
Yes, people can and do squat on vacant land. Where is the land you have in mind located? Inside a development is one thing, open land that is not part of any development is another. You are more likely to have trouble with squaters if it is the latter. But there are ways to protect yourself. Tell us a little more about the land you are considering.

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
Squatting

It is a common problem there. I would suggest you pay someone to keep an eye on it. And if possible, fence it off. Barbed wire around an acre would probably be well worth the expense.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
stewart said:
It is a common problem there. I would suggest you pay someone to keep an eye on it. And if possible, fence it off. Barbed wire around an acre would probably be well worth the expense.

I would specifically pay a police officer, and pay him well. People usually are more afraid of them and if anyone does try to squat, he should have enough influence to scare them off...