Total Collapse Of The Grid (no Electricity)

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
Hey guys, at this moment the whole country with one or two exceptions is indulge in darkness 99% percent of the population has no electricity due to the total collapse of the GRID......................

DAM YOU HIPOLITO!

i have no water neither since everything works with electricity.

CON~OOOOOooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
That would explain why I haven't had electricity in over 24 hours... how nice... adoro este pais a veces!!

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
We have power...........

.........in Costambar POP. Had it most of yesterday, went off last evening around 10 and came back 3am this morning.

Still have it now......

It's actually been better here for the last 5 days or so.

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
EL MILLON IS IN TOTAL DARKNESS im waiting for it to come back i need to take a shower man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this is unbearable.......Freaking A!

QUE MALDITA VAINA CONASO!

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
MANY parts of santiago are in total darkness. i never have lights at night in my home and rarely have lights in the daytime in my office. There are businesses in santiago who run generators all day and the ones who don't have such luxury suffer heavy financial losses. The bars who don't have generators to run A/C are dead broke. No one goes in to buy semi-cold beer and sweat in heat. The bars / discos who do have generators get some clients. There are more and more dominicans spending less cash to prepare themselves for the worst months ahead. Surprisingly the bars and discos / restaurants are packed as always on the weekends.
The total loss of power grid has caused many businesses to close down and many are about to close down. Some will not be able to pay their electric bill. The businesses and homes are billed almost the same as before, so in effect, we are paying for blackouts. Carlos (my friend) got a bill for 6,600 pesos when he had absolutely no lights all months in his house (maybe 2 hours / day). He is told to pay up or get cut off completely.
If this abuse stays up for a few more months, dominican republic will collaspe financially and riots will be the norm all over the country. Leonel better come up with an emergency plan or suffer greatly. People just can't stand it any longer.
AZB

solituna

Jan 26, 2004
Riots - Co?o - Diablo

Something will have to happen, and this soon!

Co?o - Diablo!!

When I ask around the office, "why is it that people here are so "patient" with the situation"? The reply I get is that:

A: We are used to it. It has been like this ever since the Dictator was removed...

and/or

B: We will have to wait for Leonel to enter office and do something about it.

My question to the forum and people with a historical knowledge regarding the topic about riots in DR would be:
How many days/weeks of grace will the people give Leonel before the riots break out and the s*it hits the fan??

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
solituna said:
Something will have to happen, and this soon!

Co?o - Diablo!!

When I ask around the office, "why is it that people here are so "patient" with the situation"? The reply I get is that:

A: We are used to it. It has been like this ever since the Dictator was removed...

and/or

B: We will have to wait for Leonel to enter office and do something about it.

My question to the forum and people with a historical knowledge regarding the topic about riots in DR would be:
How many days/weeks of grace will the people give Leonel before the riots break out and the s*it hits the fan??

People are already starting to depend on Leonel even though he isn't president yet so I don't think they'll be willing to wait too long... I'm surprised there hasn't been more riots yet...

I've been here 8 years now and when the "luz" goes out, I do the same as everyone else, head out to the balcony and wait for it to come back. Last night I actually fell asleep on the floor until my phone rang and woke me up...

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
A Few Scraps...

Leonel only needs to throw these people a few scraps here and there of power, of water, etc... and they will remain docile. These people are the most docile people I have ever seen. They will take abuse after abuse after abuse. It amazes me how they sit in those barrios and sweat without water, or power...the price of food so high...no healthcare.

If they were just a little more threatening this would turn around very quickly...but the government is going to squeeze the turnip and squeeze some more until they meet sufficient resistance. That is the way it is in most of the world and especially in the third world.

Unfortunately, sometimes real change must come about through bloodshed. There...I said what is on everyones mind.

But this Hippo fella needs to be locked up in chains. This guy is just pure evil.

solituna

Jan 26, 2004
Bullets - Bloodshed

Snuffy, You hit the nail on the head. As I have understood, some of the riots do claim lives. That is normally when things start improving, if only for a while...
This too might bring some more international attention to the matter in the form of the World bank...??

Co?o - Diablo!!

Yan-Yan

Sep 22, 2003
As soon as Leonel swears in as President strikes will start. He will have to do as he did in his last presidency and actually BUY the "Sindicatos" to stop them from striking for the slightest little thing.

What has kept the Dominicans so quiet in the last 4 years is that most sindicatos are affiliated to the PRD and everytime the PRD is in power, you see a huge drop in protests and strikes... It's a real shame, as Hip?lito should have been kicked-out by the masses three years ago...

God help us! :(

Yan-Yan.

Last edited:

quejeyoke

Jun 20, 2004
food for thought...

"Man, I must be really lucky or something."

Well, JDJones, you're playing the electricity game how it's supposed to be played but you haven't realized it yet. If you live in DR it is IMPERATIVE to have as many batteries/inverters in your house as you possibly can so that when electricity retires, it affects you the least due to your personal power grid. That's Y you don't hear upper middle class and up, some government people and smart civilians complain about power outtages, because they have their fix at home. Not having or saving up to buy a bunch of batteries/inverters set up at home in DR is like going on a vacation with no money to have fun...