Arriving in September any advice

happyhammer

Jul 10, 2004
Hi all
Coming to Bavaro in Sept. first time in DR, any advise on what to bring and what not to (price wise) such as insect repellant, sun tan lotion, cigarettes.
any advice would be great. (coming from England)
Cheers

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
If you can smoke Marlboro don't even buy duty free cigarettes on the way out, much cheaper here. A carton of 200 is 314 pesos, at today's rate to the pound that is just under 4 pounds sterling.

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
Buy your insect repellent here - at least it's got loads of DEET in it!!
Lambada correct on the cigarettes - much cheaper here!
Sun screen? Bring it - you'll need it!
Enjoy our little island

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
happyhammer said:
Hi all
Coming to Bavaro in Sept. first time in DR, any advise on what to bring and what not to (price wise) such as insect repellant, sun tan lotion, cigarettes.
Cheers

Just drink and Enjoy !

happyhammer

Jul 10, 2004
Cheers for advice

Peter & Alex said:
Buy your insect repellent here - at least it's got loads of DEET in it!!
Lambada correct on the cigarettes - much cheaper here!
Sun screen? Bring it - you'll need it!
Enjoy our little island
Thanks for advice, looking forward to the DR. Will be staying in Bavaro at the Grand Paradise. Have you heard of it?
Thanks for help
PS Whats DEET?

Last edited:

happyhammer

Jul 10, 2004
Thanks

Lambada said:
If you can smoke Marlboro don't even buy duty free cigarettes on the way out, much cheaper here. A carton of 200 is 314 pesos, at today's rate to the pound that is just under 4 pounds sterling.
Cheers for advice, must admit I am not a fan of american cigarettes, but will have a go if I have to. any other brands I might try
Cheers

BigCity27

Mar 4, 2004
happyhammer said:
Thanks for advice, looking forward to the DR. Will be staying in Bavaro at the Grand Paradise. Have you heard of it?
Thanks for help
PS Whats DEET?
DEET is short for "diethyl-m-toluamide," it is the active ingredient in repellant. The higher percentage of DEET the more protection you'll have.
happyhammer said:
I am not a fan of american cigarettes, but will have a go if I have to. any other brands I might try
Nacional, Palace, Cremas

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
happyhammer said:
Cheers for advice, must admit I am not a fan of american cigarettes, but will have a go if I have to. any other brands I might try
Cheers
Probably the nearest to an English cigarette is local brand called Lider, & they're even cheaper than Marlboro!!

laura-jane

May 30, 2004
dont forget!

hi there
dont forget your malaria tablets!!!!!!
Am moving to bavaro myself in november, hope all goes well. have you got a job and a place to stay out there yet?

Wales

English Twit!
May 21, 2004
Smoking

happyhammer said:
Cheers

Does not matter what you smoke, they will all kill you eventually, some of it more quickly than the rest. RIP

Brian

Wales

English Twit!
May 21, 2004
Advice

happyhammer said:
Hi all
Cheers

Yes! Lots of advice. STOP SMOKING. I lost my wife after 33 years, she died in my arms from smoking. Is that any advice or What? Numbskull!!

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
happyhammer,
Don't be put off by "The Odd Couple"! If you want further real info without the opinions, you can always PM people who have given you factual help, like Peter & Alex who gave a straight answer to a straight question, or me, or a myriad of others. Have a great holiday!

happyhammer

Jul 10, 2004
Only On Holiday

laura-jane said:
hi there
dont forget your malaria tablets!!!!!!
Am moving to bavaro myself in november, hope all goes well. have you got a job and a place to stay out there yet?

Hi
Not so lucky as you only going to Bavaro for Holiday 2weeks of Sun and Sand
from England. Will take the Tablets
Hope all goes well.
Happyhammer :bandit:

happyhammer

Jul 10, 2004
Some one sane

Lambada said:
happyhammer,
Don't be put off by "The Odd Couple"! If you want further real info without the opinions, you can always PM people who have given you factual help, like Peter & Alex who gave a straight answer to a straight question, or me, or a myriad of others. Have a great holiday!

Thanks Lambada
I must admit I was thinking of giving up. to be attacked on e mail is crazy and faceless. One thing you could help with is ATM's are their many in the Bavaro area as drawing money as you go seems a good idea. I understand you might not come from that area but thought it worth a chance
Cheers
Happyhammer :) :)

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
happyhammer said:
Thanks Lambada
I must admit I was thinking of giving up. to be attacked on e mail is crazy and faceless. One thing you could help with is ATM's are their many in the Bavaro area as drawing money as you go seems a good idea. I understand you might not come from that area but thought it worth a chance
Cheers
Happyhammer :) :)
They sent you an email as well? My, my, crazy & faceless is right. If I say testimonial-less you'll probably get my drift! :knockedou Now, ATMs. I live in Puerto Plata & I don't know about ATMs in Bavaro, but I would advise traveller's cheques. The reason? Go to search function & read thread started by Al from Texas about Banco Popular ATM machine. Then read other threads in same vein - type in ATM machines, or something similar. Get your cheques in dollar currency (U.S. dollar that is). Dollar is pretty weak against the pound at present, as were some of the hot air comments you got. Do not give up. The sane DO exist, although we're pretty well interspersed with the other lot.
We don't, however, talk to them! :cheeky: