Ok, time to get serious about a DC Area DR1 Party!

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
I'm starting a new thread, so that DC area people can't say that they didn't notice the discussion of a BBQ in the other thread!

My family enjoyed meeting Deni (Deelt) and Alonzo (ALB3) tonight. Sorry no one else managed to make it! Carolina's has some authentic Dominican food, done well. The Presidentes were indeed cold. And the staff is quite nice. Recommend it if you're ever in the neighborhood.

Now, we have to get this BBQ idea moving! I open the floor to suggestions of dates & hours. Natasha (dcareamama) and her hubby have offered their house as long as the date is ok (if not, I might persuade my wife to relent and offer ours ).

My personal preference would be Sat., Aug. 14. How would that be for folks?

Jon S., any chance you can come up from Norfolk for it?

kingofdice, Jaminican, ccarabella, dw2004, ladyday, dsupastar, ElPulpo, Hormiga, Superstar, kjdrga, DCfred, JWB, Sancochojoe, vmarchosky, how about we hear from you guys?

Lina & Betty & Bugs -- time to see if you wre just blowing NY steam or actually would make a road trip to bless our event with the Three Graces!

And I know that there are many, many DC Area lurkers out there -- STOP BEING SHY and intro yourselves! We are nice people, and we won't force you to post! Just come have a good time, find out we're human beings and dance the evening away with a Presidente in your hand.

Keith R, trying to get this party started!

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
badpiece33 said:
Hey I'm up for a road trip from NY how bout you guys? Larry, Lina,Bugsey and Betty?
Badpiece
All riiiiigggghhhhttt, Pat! That's the spirit! See if you can get those guys movin'.

And hey, if the folks from NYC are willing to give it a go, what's stopping the folks in NJ, Del, Pa?

Best Regards,
Keith

ALB3

Sep 15, 2003
Let's get it started

Even if I can't make it I'll make sure that there are plenty of extra Presidentes around.

Keith R said:
All riiiiigggghhhhttt, Pat! That's the spirit! See if you can get those guys movin'.

And hey, if the folks from NYC are willing to give it a go, what's stopping the folks in NJ, Del, Pa?

Best Regards,
Keith

Jwb

Jan 10, 2002
VA, DC Reunion.

JWB reporting in from Woodbridge VA.

Name the place and time.

kingofdice

Jan 16, 2002
I think I can make August 14 for a DR BBQ. :cool: Let me know a time and location. Meeting super intellect Natasha would be definitely cool.

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
Hey Keith,

I'm good for August 14. Let me know how to get to Tasha's place.
ALB3 will have left by then. :disappoin Hopefully, he will be able to make it
once he's back in town. :knockedou

Abrazos,
D

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
deelt said:
Hey Keith,

I'm good for August 14. Let me know how to get to Tasha's place.
ALB3 will have left by then. :disappoin Hopefully, he will be able to make it
once he's back in town. :knockedou

Abrazos,
D
Glad you can come! I'm bummed that ALB3 can't make it for the 14th or thereafter. We could try to schedule it sooner, but I wouldn't be able to attend (not that that matters!) and as I understand it, Natasha & Bob wouldn't be able to host it before then.

Oni & I would like to try to hook up again before he leaves; we'll be back by Sun the 8th. If that's not possible (I know how rushed folks can get before a big trip), then we'll definitely do something to welcome him back from Iraq if you or he alerts us to the return, ok?

Un abrazo,
Keith

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
badpiece33 said:
Hey I'm up for a road trip from NY how bout you guys? Larry, Lina,Bugsey and Betty?
Badpiece
Pat, what's that dead silence I hear from the NYC gallery? :laugh: C'mon, guys, you going to let my trip to the NYC reunion last year stand as the DR1 record??? Worse, yet, you gonna let Pat drive alone???? Lord help I-95! LOL

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
Hey Keith,

On the 14th don't worry, it's a good day. I'm just sad he has to go...call me selfish, anti-bushist for that matter. :( On getting together during the week I don't see why not, but I gotta run it by him. The more DR1ers the merrier as always.

On the return gathering, yup! will let you know. :D ,

Abrazos,
D

Keith R said:
Glad you can come! I'm bummed that ALB3 can't make it for the 14th or thereafter. We could try to schedule it sooner, but I wouldn't be able to attend (not that that matters!) and as I understand it, Natasha & Bob wouldn't be able to host it before then.

Oni & I would like to try to hook up again before he leaves; we'll be back by Sun the 8th. If that's not possible (I know how rushed folks can get before a big trip), then we'll definitely do something to welcome him back from Iraq if you or he alerts us to the return, ok?

Un abrazo,
Keith

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
We'll you don't have to do I-95 all the way. If money is an issue you can do NJT (exit 9) to Route 1 South to I-295 South to I-95. That will make it more interesting and cheaper (<$10). I can already see that you are not like typical NYers that thinks there is no world beyond NY (and DR). Come and get your grub on. We can hang with the best of them. It's only a few hours trip keep your foot on the peddle and you will be here in no time. I've done it in 3 hours but I wasn't always legal. Oops did I say that out loud? :rolleyes:

Look forward to meeting all of you.
D
badpiece33 said:
Looks like I gotta make it on my own :( Noone seems to want to brave I-95 down to DC
Badpiece

ALB3

Sep 15, 2003
Good Luck for Me??

Looks like I MAY be able to attend because they MAY be moving my departure date back by 2 days. I certainly hope so because I would hate to miss yet another DC area gathering. Plus I'm a bachelor and I could use a real meal.

dcareamama

Jul 22, 2004
This looks real good! Hubby and I are still up for hosting a get together.

Last edited:

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
It would be great if you could attend! :classic:
I'm glad you noticed you're just skin & bones...admission is the first step to recovery. :laugh:

ALB3 said:
Plus I'm a bachelor and I could use a real meal.

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
Need a Ride for Saturday, 8/14

Hey DC folks!
Keith, if you know anyone that will be attening and is around my way please have them holler at me-- I NEED A RIDE. The address is still needed. Now we need to start getting serious since the date is approaching. Below is a list of what I think is needed. Feel free to add to it as you see fit, I'll adjust the list accordingly to keep it centralized. Please post what you will bring to the event. This way we can tabulate what's to be expected and see what is still needed. I'm sure 20-20 people don't want to fight over 4 pots of rice, a half eaten toston and half a chicken leg. Know that God loves a cheerful giver. ALB3 just finished donating a case of presidente to the cause (thanks are in order from everyone).

I guess we need to get/make:
Appetizer dishes:
pastelitos de carne (and of cheso for the vegetarians, if any)
picadera (shrimp cocktails, veggie plate, etc.)
Brie cheese w/ water crackers
tostones maduros y verdes

Condiments:
seasoning sause for meat (with beer)
ketchup, mustard, relish, pickels, salt/pepper)
Cheese (for hamburger)

Meat section:
chicken (in bulk for bbq, pref. dark meat, but that's what I like)
Hamburgers
hotdogs (in bulk for bbq)
Pernil

Rice dishes:
Arroz con guandules
Arroz con pollo

Salad:
Ensalada casera
Ensalada de papa

Dessert:
Flan ( I can bring this or arroz con leche)
Arroz con leche

Libations:
Presidente (1 case has been donated by ALB3, already purchased)
Mavi
Jugo de tamarindo
Ron/Coca cola
Soda

General Items:
Platos desechables/Disposable plates (pref. biodegradable)
Cups
Utensils (plastic knives, forks, etc.)
Napkins
ICE (estimate 8 medium sized bags of ice, 5 to keep the case of presidente cold and 3 to drink, more if more beer is brought).
Mints (prefer life savers pepperment)

Entertainment
Music (Keith R, did I hear you volunteer to bring this already, right?)
Radio (dcareamama, do you have something for outside or do we need a radio? I have a mini-box. If someone had an ipod to where keith r can down load to that is another option, i guess).

Last edited:

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
fiesta?

Can I come???........ Montgomery co. Md. Ps...can bring lots of Presidentes. How many cases would you like?

Last edited:

Buck69

Jul 29, 2004
Presidente?

I have never seen Presidente for sale in the us. Does anybody know if you can buy it in Pittsburgh?? If so please let me know, it would really brighten my day. Thanks a lot.
Buck

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Don Juan said:
Can I come???........ Montgomery co. Md. Ps...can bring lots of Presidentes. How many cases would you like?
Of course you can come! The more the merrier, I say! And definitely bring the Presidentes! Alonzo (ALB3) is donating a case, but you know Dominicans and DR1er's -- that won't last long! ;)

I'll be posting details here in next day or so. Or better yet, E-mail me or PM me for details on how to link up.

Best Regards,
Keith