Does anyone of you guys live Costanbar?

doudou

Jun 30, 2004
Hi all,
Can anybody throw any light on the area known as Costambar, my husband and I have been offered a reasonable 6 month rental of a condo while we look for a Villa.
If anyone lives there or has been there, could you please give us some info on the area?
Is there any community social life? bars, restaurants, discos?
We know nothing about the area, is it a ghost town or is it a perfect get-away from Sosua/Cabarete where our business will be?
Is it safe, is it an ex-pat area, tourist area, locals, and so on?
Is the area somewhere for kite-surfers and through Dec-April the place will be packed or is it a hidden secret or somewhere to cross off the list completely?
Any feedback to help in this decision would be appreciated.
All the best,
Doudou

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Costambar is the far side of Puerto Plata, viz not the Sosua side. Would you be driving every day from Costambar to Sosua/Cabarete? The road is pretty bad now with potholes, & journey will take 35-40 mins. Best not to do that journey in the dark.
Yes there is an expat. community in Costambar, yes they play darts on a Tuesday evening. Not an area for kite surfers, no overcrowding. Safety? Some of the residents themselves had better comment on that. There are quite a few that post here. Some people love Costambar, some hate it. Your own transport is a must.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Greetings Doudou,
Costambar is a quiet locality on the western side of Puerto Plata. It has a good beach area but NO windsurfing facilities as the wind/surf just isn't sufficient for this activity!

Yes there is a large Ex-Pat community in Costambar, there are bars/shops/restaurants & a Gym, but NO discos that I am aware of. You WILL need a car as getting around the north coast without one from Costambar will be extremely difficult (& expensive). You will need a car (better a 4x4) with GOOD springs & shock absorbers, as the road into Costambar is generally always in poor condition!!

There are a few small privately owned hotels in Costambar but the "Residents" always seem to be more visible than the tourists. There is also a 9 hole golf course, but the condition of the course is pretty poor & it is rarely maintained!!

What is the name of the Condos you have been offered? I go to Costambar every two weeks for a chiropractor visit & can give a quick once over of what you have been offered if you would like me to! - Grahame.

doudou

Jun 30, 2004
Hi Grahame,

Unfortunately I do not know the name of the condos, it is a friend in Sosua who told me that he has a friend with a condo that will be available for 6 months by the beach in Costambar.

My main concern is:-
Is Costambar a ghost town or is there life outside of chilling and relaxing?
For instance do the bars and restaurants make a living from the local population of expats - if they do then it will tell me more about what to expect?
Are there plenty of shops and grocery/supermarkets?
Is this a weekend beach town?
Is it a closed gate community?

I have tried to see pictures of Costambar on line and find more information on various websites, while I managed to get plenty online for Cabarete and Sosua before we went there to conduct business meetings, but I can not seem to find anything on Costambar?

Grahame, do you have an email address, we could contact you on?

Doudou

BushBaby said:
Greetings Doudou,
Costambar is a quiet locality on the western side of Puerto Plata. It has a good beach area but NO windsurfing facilities as the wind/surf just isn't sufficient for this activity!

Yes there is a large Ex-Pat community in Costambar, there are bars/shops/restaurants & a Gym, but NO discos that I am aware of. You WILL need a car as getting around the north coast without one from Costambar will be extremely difficult (& expensive). You will need a car (better a 4x4) with GOOD springs & shock absorbers, as the road into Costambar is generally always in poor condition!!

There are a few small privately owned hotels in Costambar but the "Residents" always seem to be more visible than the tourists. There is also a 9 hole golf course, but the condition of the course is pretty poor & it is rarely maintained!!

What is the name of the Condos you have been offered? I go to Costambar every two weeks for a chiropractor visit & can give a quick once over of what you have been offered if you would like me to! - Grahame.

doudou

Jun 30, 2004
Many thanks Lambada for responding.
Seems like Costambar is a bit of an enigma, I can not find a single picture of a main street (is there one?) or is this a gated comminity resort>, I just can not work it out?
I don't want to seem like an alchy but as we are in the business so bar/restaurant references tell us a lot.
How many bar/restaurants are there in Costambar?
One or two or loads like Sosua and Cabarete?
Is there a healthy customer base of it is like a ghost town every night?
Is the town a weekend sun bathing destination for Dominicans or a secret hide-away for ex-pats.
Thanks for trying to help so far, any more info or a website that may have a picture of the town itself would be fantastic??

Doudou

Lambada said:
Costambar is the far side of Puerto Plata, viz not the Sosua side. Would you be driving every day from Costambar to Sosua/Cabarete? The road is pretty bad now with potholes, & journey will take 35-40 mins. Best not to do that journey in the dark.
Yes there is an expat. community in Costambar, yes they play darts on a Tuesday evening. Not an area for kite surfers, no overcrowding. Safety? Some of the residents themselves had better comment on that. There are quite a few that post here. Some people love Costambar, some hate it. Your own transport is a must.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Costambar has a handful of little stores, no large supermarket, the residents go into Puerto Plata to shop. I can tell you a lot about shopping in Puerto Plata, but I don't think this is your main concern at present. Costambar is mainly a residential area....years ago it was an upmarket residential area & had hotels also. Noise from electric plant caused closure of Bay View Hotel, I think it was called. There are bars & restaurants in Costambar, but they have never been "jumping" when I've been there in last few years. Not quite a ghost town, but nothing like Sosua/Cabarete. Certainly, very few tourists in Costambar, the foreign population is mainly resident. And I wish some of them would come on & talk to you, because they are the ones with the inside knowledge!

doudou

Jun 30, 2004
Thanks again Lambada, The Noise from the Electric Plant sounds ominous.
I'll investigate more and shoulf be over in the next few weeks so i'll get to have a first hand look then I suppose, many thanks.
Doudou

Lambada said:
Costambar has a handful of little stores, no large supermarket, the residents go into Puerto Plata to shop. I can tell you a lot about shopping in Puerto Plata, but I don't think this is your main concern at present. Costambar is mainly a residential area....years ago it was an upmarket residential area & had hotels also. Noise from electric plant caused closure of Bay View Hotel, I think it was called. There are bars & restaurants in Costambar, but they have never been "jumping" when I've been there in last few years. Not quite a ghost town, but nothing like Sosua/Cabarete. Certainly, very few tourists in Costambar, the foreign population is mainly resident. And I wish some of them would come on & talk to you, because they are the ones with the inside knowledge!

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
DD,
I shall be going into Costambar on Thursday of next week. Get me as MUCH information on the Condo in question & I will look for it & then report back. Is your friend Dominican or an Ex-Pat?

Is Costambar a ghost town or is there life outside of chilling and relaxing?
It is NOT a ghost town, but it is fairly sleepy & little to NO commerce activities other than the bars & colmardos.

For instance do the bars and restaurants make a living from the local population of expats - if they do then it will tell me more about what to expect? - Generally YES.

Are there plenty of shops and grocery/supermarkets? - Already answered by Lambada.

Is this a weekend beach town? - No, it is a week long beach village rather than town.
Is it a closed gate community? - YES, of sorts!!

Grahame, do you have an email address, we could contact you on? - Best to PM me or use the e-mail facility of this board to start off with. Tell me what the offer is for the 6 month rent, where in Sosua/Cabarete you will be working, why you are thinking Costambar when Sosua/Cabarete is where you will be working (the road from Costambar to Sosua is LONG & very pot-hole orientated!!). - Grahame.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Nice Beach

Costambar has a very nice beach. It is a very peaceful beach with a break some distance from shore. The waves hit the sand softly. The beach is a nice white sand with zillions of tiny seashells. We go there all the time as it is closest to Santiago and great for my daughter. The people on the beach tend to be an older group. The town is laid back and peaceful and very clean. The houses are well kept. There is Costambar on the hill which overlooks the ocean and then there is the bottom section.

It would make a nice place to hang out for 6 months if you are not going to be driving to Caberete every day. But you gotta check out Caberete first because the two are very different. Caberete is much more lively.

caro

Sep 24, 2003
I live 3 month in costambar in the apart-hotel villas mexico on cristobal street.it s was a nice place with a pool , maid, 5 minute of the beach , 24 h electricity ,water for 10 000 pesos month.but my opinion you need a car when you live there...I do it without but next time I will look for a car or to have appartment in puerto plata.

BostonMary

May 18, 2002
For pictures of Costambar go to this site

www.incostambar.com

I have been going to Costambar fo about 17 years and have purchased property. It is quiet and very much a community full of expats and people like myself who come and go during the year. Currently, the only there are a few small places for tourists to stay. ex. Blackbeards and Vill Jazmin. It is an easy drive to POP, however it's not a party place like Sousa and Cabarete. You have to decide what you are looking for and if it quiet then Costambar is for you.