A plea for sensitivity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Not sure if this belongs here, but I think it belongs somewhere.
This country is going through one of its most difficult periods, many people are hurting economically, today someone died because they couldn't afford a few hundred pesos for materials for kidney dialysis....and some of us gringos have nothing better to do than wage some sort of personal battle through at least 2 of the Forums of this Board? One appears to have been deleted - well done, AnnaC. What must the Dominicans present think of us?
I know we all need humour & that is where Rocky's wonderful letter to Edenorte was so apt. Hilarious & cathartic at the same time. But....this other stuff? Not even funny.
Dominican brothers & sisters, we gringos are not all like this. We do not all wave our dollar incomes in the face of hungry Dominicans & say "I'm all right, jack, bad luck you didn't do better". We do not all say "not my problem, you voted this lot in". And we do not all pursue self-serving, juvenile, personal battles at a time when you must be wondering "have these foreigners nothing better to do?"
Please, for the next few months at least, show some sensitivity & those who have a deep-seated need to post this sort of stuff, write yourself an email.

KrackedKris

On Vacation!
Apr 8, 2004
Lambada said:
Not sure if this belongs here, but I think it belongs somewhere.
This country is going through one of its most difficult periods, many people are hurting economically, today someone died because they couldn't afford a few hundred pesos for materials for kidney dialysis....and some of us gringos have nothing better to do than wage some sort of personal battle through at least 2 of the Forums of this Board? One appears to have been deleted - well done, AnnaC. What must the Dominicans present think of us?
I know we all need humour & that is where Rocky's wonderful letter to Edenorte was so apt. Hilarious & cathartic at the same time. But....this other stuff? Not even funny.
Dominican brothers & sisters, we gringos are not all like this. We do not all wave our dollar incomes in the face of hungry Dominicans & say "I'm all right, jack, bad luck you didn't do better". We do not all say "not my problem, you voted this lot in". And we do not all pursue self-serving, juvenile, personal battles at a time when you must be wondering "have these foreigners nothing better to do?"
Please, for the next few months at least, show some sensitivity & those who have a deep-seated need to post this sort of stuff, write yourself an email.

Lambada

Could you elaborate a bit, I don't understand

Thanks

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Yes please elaborate, I can't tell if I am being implicated here or not.

I certainly have no pity for those who voted for baldy, and I frequently deride those who did. I insist that Dominicans are responsible for their own problems. I pay my employees more than a Dominican boss would, as a foreigner I pay more taxes than a Dominican in my position would, while my government and others continue to lend theirs more money to steal - and their supreme court justice thinks it is unreasonable to expect that the theives will be punished.

As a "lucky" foreigner, I am not immune to:
blackouts
rampant inflation (my business purchases in Dollars and invoices in pesos)
corrupt officials
surging crime rates

So why am I here, you ask? Aside from that being none of your concern, I have responsibilities to my wife (Dominican) my employees (Dominicans) and their families all of whom depend on me to help them shoulder the crisis they and their countrymen willingly or through negligence in their duties as citizens of a "democracy" allowed to take place.

So if I and others groan and complain under the weight of a burden placed on us by others, it is our right, as it is yours to stop listening.

gmiller261

Dec 29, 2002
Very well put, MrMike

He said it best.

The idea behind the thread 'cHANGE FROM WITHIN!' is correct. Let the people who steal from you know that you know and want it stopped.

These criminals are only perpetuating the 'pain' this country endures. You really can do something about it.

The only issues that the DR politicians are transparent about are their 'stealing', is it a macho thing?

The Dominican people have to say NO more?.

Start with the Supreme Court Chief Justice. Anyone in that capacity should be completely objective and is obviously not. If he cannot fathom who is responsible for the bank debacle then he should be removed. At the very least someone should ask questions.

Gary

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
KrackedKris said:
Lambada

Could you elaborate a bit, I don't understand

Thanks
I was referring to a thread in Living Forum, where 1 poster used another's access & it provoked a personal "battle" between them, with various others joining in. Subsequently spread to another Forum, where it was deleted. I find this sort of stuff so petty, it made me concerned over what Dominicans think of us foreigners, to be spending time on this sort of stuff when there are bigger concerns we should focus on! And no, MrMike, no way was I implicating you! You are a serious minded, responsible person who does focus on the bigger concerns. I was just asking for the juvenile, personal battle between 2 gringos to be deemed inappropriate at the current time. Hope this clarifies!

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Lambada, I ask you...What do you expect ANY self-respecting person to do when he looks around and sees the INJUSTICES perpetrated upon it's own people by their ELECTED officials?
Do you REALLY expect us to be quiet and merely accept such societal transgressions?
Perhaps if you and others who live here were to be as vocal as we, some of the things which take place would cease to exist through fear of the consequences of public outcry.
Have you ever considered speaking out in public, as we do, against these occurrances we constantly refer to?
While people like you make excuses, blame everything on outside forces, sit back and accept being raped by your own government and don't say a public word about it, at least we have our eyes and minds on the problems and are actively seeking solutions which you can take or leave at your pleasure.
And I don't see too many posters bragging about their income to locals. That is a very private matter, although I personally have been asked many times what my total income was by Dominicans. Is that being sensitive? My answer??? None of your business, and don't be so intrusive into my private life. That's being blunt and insensitive!
You ask for sensitivity. Has it ever occurred to you to offer that same ingredient to those of us who weren't raised in your society? Do you have any idea how much of a problem it is for a foreigner not familiar with all the ins and out of your society to adjust to those nuances and alien mores?
Many people who arrive here go immediately into culture shock and remain so until departing, never to return. Others arrive here, deal with that culture shock, adjust to the culture, go into business, marry into the society and ARE STILL TREATED LIKE STRANGERS by the people around them. I could recite a number of personal horror stories about the treatment I have received, and i don't throw mi financial weight around nor treat the people like sh**; quite the contrary. nevertheless I am constantly beseiged by people who will attempt to scam me one way or another. Is that being sensitive?
If we seem insensitive to you, then take into consideration that we react to circumstances here in the same manner that we would where we come from.
If that is offensive to you, be sensitive enough to realize that we're merely being honest and forthcoming with our thoughts and comments. Read them and digest them, you just might learn something that will help you help solve the problems facing the DR today. I say that, not with arrogance, but in an honest effort to explain that we're not a bunch of insensitive ogres who delight in making our felow man uncomfortable through commentary.

Texas Bill

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I did not read the threads that you are referring to and simply glanced at them. I'm amazed that anyone would take either Escott or AZB seriously on the board. (No harm intended to either of these two or to Lambada). As to what the people in our host country think of these nonsensical fighting threads, with respect, I wonder if they are not equally disinterested?

KrackedKris

On Vacation!
Apr 8, 2004
Lambada said:
I was referring to a thread in Living Forum, where 1 poster used another's access & it provoked a personal "battle" between them, with various others joining in. Subsequently spread to another Forum, where it was deleted. I find this sort of stuff so petty, it made me concerned over what Dominicans think of us foreigners, to be spending time on this sort of stuff when there are bigger concerns we should focus on! And no, MrMike, no way was I implicating you! You are a serious minded, responsible person who does focus on the bigger concerns. I was just asking for the juvenile, personal battle between 2 gringos to be deemed inappropriate at the current time. Hope this clarifies!

Thanks for the clarification, of course you must realize certain members must be treated with "baby gloves" for a variety of reasons :cool:

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
So being open, honest and Frank is a bad thing? I suppose you think that if you ignore the problems it will go away?

Hippo was elected because almost 50% of the voters checked his name. That is every other voter. I for one thing that Dominicans need to be reminded of that every day.

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
sorry, but...

I couldn't be less interested in hearing when I'm free or not free to exhibit a sense of humor. Should we all wear black and carry signs to show how great our compassion?

Life goes on here, and people I know, including myself, find ways to contribute all the time to those less fortunate. Unfortunately, even the wealth of Bill Gates wouldn't ease the suffering of everyone in this country.

I look only to my own conscience as to how I live, including when I wish to laugh.

Dawn

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
It took some time,and a little "digging" but I think I finally got it!

Azb was cooking,"The PERFECT RICE" at Escotts house,he pulled the handle off Scotts stove,Scott responded like a "Typical New Yourker" by yelling and screaming(Which is "Newyork" for "It Doesn't Matter") :rolleyes: ,Now AZB is a Pakistani,but grew up in NewYork,so should be use to this sort of "Abuse"! He,AZB,was offended,and Scott got tired of explaining sooooooooooooooo,it became a "Tempest In A Teapot"!
Now,Lets kiss and make up!For the sake of "THE CHILDREN!" :rolleyes:

Thread Closed! Cris Colon

Status
Not open for further replies.