What will change after August 16th?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I've been following the DR1 news coverage of the power crisis and the forum threads dealing with it.

My question is: what do people think will happen once power is handed over to Leonel Fernandez? Will the power companies give him a chance to sort out the multi-million debts or will the relentless blackouts continue?

My flight home is booked for August 18th so I want to know what to expect. I can honestly say this is the first time in eight years that I am not looking forward to coming home.

Chiri :(

Paulino

Jan 4, 2002
Chirimoya said:
I've been following the DR1 news coverage of the power crisis and the forum threads dealing with it.

My question is: what do people think will happen once power is handed over to Leonel Fernandez? Will the power companies give him a chance to sort out the multi-million debts or will the relentless blackouts continue?

My flight home is booked for August 18th so I want to know what to expect. I can honestly say this is the first time in eight years that I am not looking forward to coming home.

Chiri :(
If PLD's track record from 96-00 is anything to go by, don't expect much. And this time around the list of inherited problems is that much longer.

T

TiberiusMineola

Short Term Solution?? US $400,000,000.

My understanidng is that the root of the current electricity problems is that the generating companies are owed US $400 million; & will not increase the electric supply to adequate until this sum is received. Optimistically, Leonel is in the process of negotiating a short term $400 million infusion / loan / assistance of some kind. In exchange the DR must reduce gov't spending, increase taxes, & taake some other harsh measures. Drugs? It is interesting that the US is pressuring the head of the DR Supreme Court to invetgate certain judges for suspect drug activities, probaly as judges. I think that the US Gov't is the 800 lbs. gorilla in this scenario; the IMF, the ExIm Bank, etc. will do what the USA instructs them to do. For the Dominican poor & the country as a whole, I think that this is wonderful news; 1 man's opinion. Food for thought: after Aug. 16, should Hipolito & has close associates be prosecuted for what crimes [plural] they have committed & for the intentional evils they have done to this country? Food for thought?

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
food for thought,

TiberiusMineola said:
My understanidng is that the root of the current electricity problems is that the generating companies are owed US $400 million; & will not increase the electric supply to adequate until this sum is received. Optimistically, Leonel is in the process of negotiating a short term $400 million infusion / loan / assistance of some kind. In exchange the DR must reduce gov't spending, increase taxes, & taake some other harsh measures. Drugs? It is interesting that the US is pressuring the head of the DR Supreme Court to invetgate certain judges for suspect drug activities, probaly as judges. I think that the US Gov't is the 800 lbs. gorilla in this scenario; the IMF, the ExIm Bank, etc. will do what the USA instructs them to do. For the Dominican poor & the country as a whole, I think that this is wonderful news; 1 man's opinion. Food for thought: after Aug. 16, should Hipolito & has close associates be prosecuted for what crimes [plural] they have committed & for the intentional evils they have done to this country? Food for thought?

Would be nice, should be done, but won't happen.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Chirimoya said:

This is such a sad statement... nevertheless, the basic wonderful friendly nature of the Dominican people is still there. Yes, there is poverty, yes, people are having a very hard time, yes, the relentless blackouts will continue for a while yet, but, the people are still wonderful.

I cannot say that we expect anything will change fast after LF takes over the reigns of power. In my opinion, the problems are so endemic and run so deep at the moment, that it will take some time for a change to take place. I am simply hoping that LF used his four years out of power to make plans and lay foundations that he can build on now. He has been out of the country quite a bit since the election, and I trust that he has gathered around him a group of people/countries that would work together to change things. I know what I am saying sounds a little weak, and possibly has no basis in fact, but that is what I hope.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Chiri,
We've just bought a 15KW generator to be able to recharge the inverter batteries, so obviously we're not expecting much of a change after Aug. 16th. Dolores did a best guess estimate on when power situation would be likely to improve in another thread......I think I recall she said a 50% chance of improvement by November. And by "improvement" she defined as back to only 6 hours without power daily, as opposed to current situation. I'd go along with that.....sorry, but I think you have to adjust to a fairly grim power situation for your return. Oh....and welcome back!