clinics

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
A week ago my 11 yr. old stepson was hit in the head with a baseball and has been in and out of the clinics with complications. The pattern has been that he gets a bit better (ie. pain subsides, vomiting and fever subsides) then it comes back. They moved him from a clinic in POP to Clinica Corominas in Santiago on Tuesday where he was doing good with the treatment, a little better each day, until today. My husband is waiting to see the doctor but is so worried and beside himself that he wants to take him to another clinic in Santo Domingo. Does anyone have any advice with regard to doctors or clinics that might be helpful? Is this clinic as good as the clinics in Santo Domingo? If he does not have insurance would the hospital still do everything they can to help him? Any information or advice would be appreciated.
Thank you,
Nelly

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Nelly, you and your husband are justified in being worried. I am sure anybody else reading your post would be, too.

Generally speaking the best doctors are in Santo Domingo, but Santiago, being the second largest city, also has very good doctors, too. Hillbilly would be a good person to comment on Corominas versus Santo Domingo. I hope that he will soon read your post.

I am certain that the doctors at Corominas know who the best doctors for your son are and where they are located. If there is a clinic with better facilities for treatment and doctors who are as good or better, they will know that. If I were your husband, I would ask the doctor where he would take the boy if he were his son.

My wife and I live in Sosua but almost all of our doctors are in Santo Domingo. The first doctor we went to there was recommended to us by a doctor in Puerto Rico we had confidence in. All the other doctors were recommended to us by doctors in other specialities who were also recommended to us. I have thought about our doctors but none has the specialty that you need, unfortunately.

But the doctors at Corominas will know they would take their son. Wherever that is, that is where you want to go.

Not having insurance is not a problem, but you will have to arrange payment in some other way.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Sorry this happened to your boy

Okey, what to do.
First who is your neurologist?
Second, have they done the CAT scans> or MRIs or whatever they need to look insid the boy's head.

Sounds to me that he might have some bruising or maybe a teensy, tiny drip going on there and it is worth of your worrying.

If they do the studies, they should be able to tell you what's up with the fellow. Generally speaking the neurologists are very good.

As a last option you might think of consulting Dr. Jos? Joaqu?n Puello at the Clinica Abreu in Santo Domingo. However, the guys in Santiago should be able to deal with this.

Let me know, via PM or email if you want to stop by the hovel for some coffee and a talk..we're just 5 minutes from Corominas.

HB

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Gracias a todos

Thank you all for the advice, good wishes and prayers. The doctor thinks that yesterday's incident was possibly due to anxiety as there were a lot of people visiting and calling. They gave him something and by suppertime he was feeling better. His condition is back to improving a little each day, which is great news and my husband's faith in el medico y la clinica has been restored. Hillbilly, I may take you up on your offer another time but thank you so much for all the advice.

Cuidate,
Nelly

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Nelly, I hope all is well with you son. Could you please let me know the names of the doctors in Santiago who treated him, and if you are happy with the treatment. My novia needs a second opinion regarding a cyst on her brain. I believe she is being referred to Dr. Gaton and DR. Manuel, but I'm not sure. HB, hope you are reading this. I hate to keep bothering you, but any info will be appreciated. I will be calling Dr. Puello after her visit in Santiago. I will fly down to Dr. Puello if it comes to that. Thanks, Danny

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I emailed Nelly to see

What happened in her case.

With a cyst, it is almost certain that some surgery will be needed, so study your options carefully..

Regards,

HB

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Hillbilly said:

With a cyst, it is almost certain that some surgery will be needed, so study your options carefully..

Regards,

HB

It is a colloid cyst. The doctors in Clinica Bournegal told her it was not dangerous and put her on phenobabrdital. They also gave her a list of doctors for a second opinion including Dr. Puello in SD and doctors Gaton and Manuel in Santiago. They want to see her again in a month, and in the meantime I will make sure that we have see the best doctors we can. I asked her to find out from the doctors where the cyst was located and she said masa cefalica. Unfortunately there is a language problem and Marisol is essentially uneducated and determined to believe that the doctors are correct and that it's not serious. She has 2 young children and has been through alot in the last few years. Again, thanks HB - D

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Hillbilly said:

Regards,

HB

Our son is doing great. He is not permitted to participate in any physical activity and must take medication daily but otherwise he is completely back to normal. Gracias a Dios. He has a final sonografia in a few weeks that will verify this. Danny, I'm sorry your novia is having problems but she is very fortunate to have you. I will ask my husband the doctor's name and will get back to you later today.