Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Question to bring or not to bring furniture to DR

I understand that as a permanent resident one can bring personal goods to DR
    Is it worth the cost and hassle?

What about bringing an automobile?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

No.

Lots in the archives about the problems and pitfalls of importing cars and furniture.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely seconded. Those are problems you can do without.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

The general recommendation is to buy your car here.

http://dr1.com/living/settling/9.shtml

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Nightmare...

From what I hear lately this is a potential minefield!!
    People we know locally just did it and had the most hassle you can imagine!! Cost them a s***load of money too!
    (We must have been really lucky 30 months ago as we brought in a 20ft container for nothing and no hassle)! Gracias a Dios.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

You can buy great furniture there at a fraction of US prices.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Furniture

It is much easier to buy there. It is worth it to avoid the hassle and headache of importing your furniture.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Sell there, Buy here

My advice in a nutshell is sell there and buy here. The disadvantage of doing this is you may sell at less than market value and the advantage is you do not have pay the transportation costs, taxes, duties, and there is no threat of loss or damage in transit. You do not have the anguish of having to wait weeks-months to get the shipment through customs.

Regards,
    PJT

Post Thanks / Like

Default Taste of furniture

I would say it depends of where you are from and your taste of furniture and how important that is...
    Coming from Northern Europe I can say I found the furniture too old-fashioned and double or triple the price at home. Then I was for one week constantly running around in Sto Domingo in all furniture stores I could find, including "ferreterķas" etc. However, in our case, the company paid the transport including import taxes. We could therefore even buy new furniture at home for export and have the VAT taken away, making it even cheaper. The transport took a little bit more than a month and it worked fine, though you need some par of extra eyes when you are at the Customs, as a lot of people tend to gather around you when the boxes are opened. We brought less then 20 squaremetres but no electro-domestics, therefore import taxes was quite low.