Jul 28, 2004
I understand that as a permanent resident one can bring personal goods to DR
Is it worth the cost and hassle?

What about bringing an automobile?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
No.

Lots in the archives about the problems and pitfalls of importing cars and furniture.

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
Nightmare...

From what I hear lately this is a potential minefield!!
People we know locally just did it and had the most hassle you can imagine!! Cost them a s***load of money too!
(We must have been really lucky 30 months ago as we brought in a 20ft container for nothing and no hassle)! Gracias a Dios.

ALB3

Sep 15, 2003
Furniture

It is much easier to buy there. It is worth it to avoid the hassle and headache of importing your furniture.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Sell there, Buy here

My advice in a nutshell is sell there and buy here. The disadvantage of doing this is you may sell at less than market value and the advantage is you do not have pay the transportation costs, taxes, duties, and there is no threat of loss or damage in transit. You do not have the anguish of having to wait weeks-months to get the shipment through customs.

Regards,
PJT

Linda de Suecia

Apr 12, 2004
Taste of furniture

I would say it depends of where you are from and your taste of furniture and how important that is...
Coming from Northern Europe I can say I found the furniture too old-fashioned and double or triple the price at home. Then I was for one week constantly running around in Sto Domingo in all furniture stores I could find, including "ferreter?as" etc. However, in our case, the company paid the transport including import taxes. We could therefore even buy new furniture at home for export and have the VAT taken away, making it even cheaper. The transport took a little bit more than a month and it worked fine, though you need some par of extra eyes when you are at the Customs, as a lot of people tend to gather around you when the boxes are opened. We brought less then 20 squaremetres but no electro-domestics, therefore import taxes was quite low.