Education levels equivalent

P

pedroA

Does anyone know what would be the equivalent in US or Canada
for what is known as ' 8vo ' level in a private college in RepDom??
(is this post-highschool level, or equivalent to highschool?)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Far from it

Octavo is the 8th Grade. The last grade of primary school on the old tradition or the second year of Junior High School in the Grammar, Junior High and Senior High scheme.

In no way is this an academic level of any stature.

The person:
Probably demonstrates the ability to read a newspaper headline with a few mistakes and cannot write his name or address without some help.

Sadly it makes little matter if it was a private school or a public school, they all suck...

HB

Caveat: Unless the person is over 70. Way back when they really TAUGHT in the schools. And if they are in their 80s, their penmanship is a wonder to behold, and their grammar will be outstanding.

P

pedroA

Education levels ??

Tks HB.
I'm probably not reading the document properly.
I have a 'record de notas de estudiante' from Colegio Evangelico Miguel Limardo (Macoris). For studies representing 7 semestres, ending in 1999 and including courses in Biologia, Fisica, Engles, Frances, Matematica I-VIII, Informatica, etc.... Courses taken from 1995 to 1999: the report says primer grado y 2do grado (each grado includes 2 ciclos each). The person who graduated was about 21 yrs. old. Is that post-highschool level?? or about 2 yrs of college??
(the certificate de 8vo was probably the level the person had when he
started at the Colegio).
It's important for me to know what level this may be to get the provincial government to give him his equivalency. Tks.

lizzyjl80

Jun 16, 2004
dont take my word for it

im not too sure but that sounds like this person did some kind of high school work
8vo is indeed the eigth grade but the rest seems to be courses that you would take in high school
check for the word bachiller or bachillerato
if so then indeeed its high school

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Hillbilly said:
Octavo is the 8th Grade. The last grade of primary school on the old tradition or the second year of Junior High School in the Grammar, Junior High and Senior High scheme.

In no way is this an academic level of any stature.

The person:
Probably demonstrates the ability to read a newspaper headline with a few mistakes and cannot write his name or address without some help.

Sadly it makes little matter if it was a private school or a public school, they all suck...

HB

In my wife's small(300-400) private school in Jarabacoa(kindergarden-grade 7), they do an excellent job of teaching both language skills and math. Although they lack in many extra's in terms of teaching aids a child is not passed onto the next grade until they have reached the objectives that Yris has put in place.
Is the system as well developed as North American/European schools? no, but there are many Dominican children that at age 7-8 can read equally as well as any American/Canadian child. Yris has had a ****** of students go to New York and receive excellent grades in the New York School system.
If teachers in the Dominican were actually paid well and there were controls put in place to ensure all teachers had the qualification for teaching, the public system would be able to produce better results. Perhaps with a president that puts more value on education coming back into power they can achieve something.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The caveat should have included something that said

except for those few schools with dedicated teachers. I do not doubt for one moment the quality of your wife's school. Ask her how her students stack up against the students from the other schools...

As for the OPer's new information, I think that Lizzy has it right.

A "colegio Evangelico" can be a 12 year school or it can be just the high school. Is this in San Pedro or San Francisco? I can get to the bottom of this.

While the "paper" says that the person took the courses, the content, library facilities and laboratories were (a generalization again) pi$$ poor. They just don't pay--as Saunders has already said, the money needed to get good people into the Primary and Secondary schools.

At most this might be a "Record de Notas" for a couple of years of High School or even his entire transcript.

If you want, you can fax it to me at 809 226 5833 and I'll check it out "con lujo de detalles"

As should be obvious by now I like to get to the bottom of the academic thingys...

HB