life's not fair

RICARDO 333

Jul 27, 2004
I had a fantastic holiday in RD and spent a huge amount of money which I hope stays in the country but I have one incident that I remember. I was in the Caribe Tours bus waiting room in Sosua waiting for a bus back to SD ..the room had about 6 ameriacan people , a couple of well off Dominicans and a young Dominican chap about 19 who looked fairly low income.
As we were waiting for the bus an old man bent over with arthritis came and asked for money... everyone looked away except for me who gave him only a very few pesos because that is all I had because I was going to cash a TC in SD but the young Dominican guy seemed to empty his wallet for the old man.
We drove to Santiago where we all got off for a drink except the young man who drank water apparently because he had no more money for a soft drink. Then some of us on the bus heard little chirpy noises and the driver hopped off his seat , confonted the young Dominican and threw him off the bus because he had two chickens in a box under his seat.
I do not know what the moral of the storey is but I have felt very bad about it.
When I was in RD I have never met such nice people who are facing great difficulties in their daily living with power outages, low incomes and lack of proper ammenities..but in spite of all I found them to be a most couteous people when I was shopping and dining and walking around. ON the way back home I sat next to a guy in the plane who was from Denver who , on hearing where i had been, said he did not understand how I could go to such third world countries with such corrupt people and I thought of all the American and European pigs I had seen at the Hilton Hamarca at Boca Chica with plates overflowing with food far more than they needed ..all because they had pre paid for food and drinking enough drinks to be ill just because they had pre paid their drinks and then becoming loud mouth and boring and I wondered which was the third world country.
Again I do not know if there is any moral to the tale. All I can is that I related very well to the Dominican people and hope that they have a turn in their economic fortunes ... Ricardo 333

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
I'm not sure......

.....that there was a moral to the story, but I thought it was some interesting observations.

appleman

Dec 18, 2003
Human nature

So on the one hand we have Dominicans who gave almost everything they have to help others, and on the other hand there are Dominicans who treat others with disrespect. While I firmly believe that the vast majority of Dominicans fall into the first catagory I think you are describing a slice of life no matter who you are talking about.

I am sure not every American or European ate and drank like pigs at the resort you were at. We see good and bad in every culture in every country. Sometimes it makes more of an impression based on what we have just seen or where we have just been, but basically it is human nature-some good, some bad. Just because I am European or American does not make me a pig because I can afford to go to a resort that certain others cannot afford. I feel for those less fortunate than me, but there will always be some with less and some with more. The main thing is to respect everyone no matter what they have because they are a person deserving of respect.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
RICARDO 333,
I DO hope you'll come back!! Tourists as observant as you, with that much sympatico, one does not meet every day.
With regard to the non rich man giving to the old man....he could have been very religious, you know, better to give than to receive etc. It gets to you, though, doesn't it? I find all these very humbling experiences. Like the shoe shine boys......give one a biscuit & if another appears he'll break it in half to give half to the other one, even though he's hungry! At 6 years of age! You could walk around with tears in your eyes in this place, at the generosity of the very, very poor.

Wales

English Twit!
May 21, 2004
Smoking

Lambada said:
RICARDO 333,
I DO hope you'll come back!! Tourists as observant as you, with that much sympatico, one does not meet every day.
With regard to the non rich man giving to the old man....he could have been very religious, you know, better to give than to receive etc. It gets to you, though, doesn't it? I find all these very humbling experiences. Like the shoe shine boys......give one a biscuit & if another appears he'll break it in half to give half to the other one, even though he's hungry! At 6 years of age! You could walk around with tears in your eyes in this place, at the generosity of the very, very poor.

Marjorie

How on earth can you preach this junk when on a previous thread you were posting that people smoke Marlboro cigarettes. Why not suggest instead of buying these lethal drugs, they donate half to one of your - Tear jerking organisations - don't ask me: I do not smoke --- ANYTHING!!

Glad to hear you have a gen set. Was it new or used? If the latter, good luck. We bought brand new. No thanks to Graham.

Brian

Brian

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
RICARDO 333 said:
I had a fantastic holiday in RD and spent a huge amount of money
HUGE? or was it really HUGE?

Did you sign over one of your TC's to the poor boy to help him get home? What the heck is one travelers check when you had spent a HUGE AMMOUNT OF MONEY in the poor DR?

So tell me just exactly how HUGE it was?

Scott

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Bottom line is that you returned home with this panging of guilt in your belly. Explain what you plan to do to alleviate it, if anything. If you don't plan to do anything then just lose the guilt now because it will wear off eventually anyway.

Larry

KrackedKris

On Vacation!
Apr 8, 2004
Wales said:
Marjorie

How on earth can you preach this junk when on a previous thread you were posting that people smoke Marlboro cigarettes. Why not suggest instead of buying these lethal drugs, they donate half to one of your - Tear jerking organisations - don't ask me: I do not smoke --- ANYTHING!!

Glad to hear you have a gen set. Was it new or used? If the latter, good luck. We bought brand new. No thanks to Graham.

Brian

Brian

What in hel... does you post have to do with anything let alone the original post?

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
KrackedKris said:
What in hel... does you post have to do with anything let alone the original post?

You got it in ONE KK - Nothing!
He obviously does not know Lambada who signed off once (very sarcastically as I remember) as Marjorie Proops!

Having a side swipe at me when I had not contributed anything to this post, just proves I was right to remove what assistance I had been giving (see previous threads IF anyone is interested) & suggest that he find other friends to help him. I have (until now) let him be & will go back to that same mode as his behaviour seems to demand this!

Ricardo.
Your post was well received by the "thinkers" of this forum. Observations of this nature will hold you in good stead should you ever come to live down here AND enrich your life in your home country. Take your experiences with you through life & benefit well from them! - Grahame.

HDS

Jul 21, 2004
appleman said:
I am sure not every American or European ate and drank like pigs at the resort you were at. We see good and bad in every culture in every country. Sometimes it makes more of an impression based on what we have just seen or where we have just been, but basically it is human nature-some good, some bad. Just because I am European or American does not make me a pig because I can afford to go to a resort that certain others cannot afford. I feel for those less fortunate than me, but there will always be some with less and some with more. The main thing is to respect everyone no matter what they have because they are a person deserving of respect.

I am very sad to read Ricardo's story, and I agree with you appleman. After living in America for so many years, I forget how poor yet incredibly generous and loving people can be, it is very humbling...sigh...I'm glad I'm coming to the DR, and I will be extra careful to tip gererously, and I will bring lots of books, crayons for the kids, though I have to figure out where in SD I can drop them off

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Humankind is not fair

The OPer made some observations about things in the DR that caught his attention. I can appreciate this way of posting, mostly because I, too, observe this behaviour on a daily basis, but am sort of immune to it. I see it all the time.

As one person noted, sharing is very much a part of the culture, no matter how poor. It makes us realize just how fortunate we are. If you do just a little out of kindness, so much the better. Thanks.

Since no single person can solve all of the problems (see the AARP ads) it is good to see that visitors feel that they can do just a little, and then do it.

As for the chickens, I can understand the driver. Having ridden on trains, buses and airplanes with live animals of various sorts-all over the world-it creats an image that the bus company is trying to avoid. If he had not removed the passenger and his chickens, there would have been another poster that would be complaining that the nicest buses were now transporting chickens for Christ's sake!! BLA BLA BLA... That said, I am sure that there wre alternatives other than putting the fellow off the bus..which was illegal..

HB

TEHAMA

Feb 3, 2004
Reason??

Ricardo 333,
There is a reason why you observed that you did. Nothing happens by chance, in my opinnion. The onus is on you to determine how this experience may alter your life, or not. I find it interesting that it obviously affected you and probably more than others with you.

Similar to the guy on the plane, I have NEVER understood why people choose to vacation at an AI. Travel thousands of miles for a HYATT with a beach??? There are plenty of those in California and Florida. Staying at an AI limits exposure to a different and very REAL world.
TEHAMA