What does everybody pay their maid?

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I am interested to know what other people pay their house keeper in the DR.

Besides salary, include days and hours worked per week, please include any other benefits such as food, medical, vacation - if any.

Right now my muchacha works 8AM to 2PM and gets RD$ 1,200 per week but no benefits. Its probably more than most people pay but I was very happy to get her as she's honest and good.

With the peso in the doghouse I was thinking about voluntarily including benefits or putting her on the company plan.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
On "Average" you are paying about double what others pay!

First of all,she is basically working little more that 1/2 a day.Does she work Saturadays,all do,at least until noon.You are paying 5,000 a month!!Make it 6,and I'll send my wife to work for you! "Benefits" are out of the question.Give her double pay in December.Cris Colon

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Conchman, if you and your maid are happy, I wouldn't worry if you are paying her more than somebody else.

I recall this subject coming up once before, and that there was quite a difference in what was being paid and that foreigners tended to pay more than Dominicans.

I also recall a report, posted by Hillbilly, I believe, indicating that fewer and fewer women are taking work as maids/housekeepers because of the low pay.

cr8tions

May 20, 2004
Conchman said:
I am interested to know what other people pay their house keeper in the DR.

Besides salary, include days and hours worked per week, please include any other benefits such as food, medical, vacation - if any.

Right now my muchacha works 8AM to 2PM and gets RD$ 1,200 per week but no benefits. Its probably more than most people pay but I was very happy to get her as she's honest and good.

With the peso in the doghouse I was thinking about voluntarily including benefits or putting her on the company plan.

Wow.. she is living pretty good with you. I have a maid and pay her 2500 a month. She works from 8:00am to 5:00pm Monday - Friday and until noon on saturday.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
You all confirm what I thought. But if you knew the nightmare stories of previous maids I had, you would know why I'm quite happy with the status quo where I pay more.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Conchman said:
You all confirm what I thought. But if you knew the nightmare stories of previous maids I had, you would know why I'm quite happy with the status quo where I pay more.

Me too, Conchman. I pay 40 pesos an hour plus her concho fare, she is with me 3 mornings a week for a total of 12 hours a week. She has lunch with us before moving on to her afternoon work. Obviously, working 4 hours each morning she is with me, there is no "down" time, she is doing something from arrival to departure. I have a retirement pension plan for her, which will be sizable when she reaches that age, & in the event of prolonged sickness necessitating removal from the work environment, she is able to access part of this plan for cash (but it means less in the pension). I also pay double each December & there are other perks, like my old fridge & cooker when we bought new. And after nearly 10 years with me, she is worth every penny!

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
Our maid

cooks, cleans and washes clothes. We pay $1200 per week and includes eating what is cooked and anything else in the house. Works M-F 8:15 til 4:15. Lunch is at 12:00 and once done, eating and cleaning up, relaxes (ie tv, sleeping or going outside til 1:30.

We supply a cell phone whenever it breaks, and have bought 2 pasolas (sp?) over the last 3 years.

Our general workers are paid $2,000. per week and we buy them clothes, cell phones, shoes etc when needed. Usually pay any medical bills they have and also give extra money for gas when they go on errands on their bikes etc.

2 Night watchmen $1000 per week plus we supply uniform.

Live on property day watchman $800. per week.

We also feed them quite often and often take them out to restaurants. (Usually 3-4 times per week for dinner) and many other perks.

lizzyjl80

Jun 16, 2004
Got Any Openings???

hey pop badboy

do you have any openings
i might be willing to relocated and work for you
sound like theyve got it pretty good :knockedou

Chester4

*** Sin Bin ***
Feb 12, 2004
Ken said:
Conchman, if you and your maid are happy, I wouldn't worry if you are paying her more than somebody else.

I recall this subject coming up once before, and that there was quite a difference in what was being paid and that foreigners tended to pay more than Dominicans.

I also recall a report, posted by Hillbilly, I believe, indicating that fewer and fewer women are taking work as maids/housekeepers because of the low pay.

I agree with Ken ... if you are happy with your maid pay her a fair rate. I pay my maid 300 pesos per day .. she works for me 3 times a week. She cleans, cooks, washes and irons the clothes. I will give her a bonus once in a while so she has some extra money.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The way I see it you are living in a much different

environment than "normal" Dominicans do. However, in most households in middle and upper class families with two or three or four working members or one really good job, the number one "servicio", is paid between RD$3000 and $4000 a month, plus double at Christmas, vacations and time off for illness and help with illnesses. Normally, they eat two meals at the house, some will "takeout" food for home. Live-ins are less frequent, and more trouble.

RD$40 an hour? Absurd! That is the wage for a talented sewer in a factory. And figures out to nearly three times the minimum wage (admittedly much too low at the present time). But, if you live in that atmosphere, that's fine. It's your money and your personnel. I am sure none of the Dominicans in POP pay close to that.

Yet, as rich foreigners living in the Third World, you can pay whatever you want. It is laudable and your people are very lucky. I would hope that they know how lucky they are, and appreciate the fact.

As for conchman, lots of executives have their "servicio" enrolled in the Social Securuty System, as company employees. While this can complicate firings, it has a lot of benefits for the personnel. This provides health care and a small pension, and under all the new provisos a much better pension for those that come in at a younger age. So do it.

HB

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
I pay 2000 pesos 2x a month for 5x per week and till she finishes her work which most often is noon but I don't care. She will cook or do just anything I ask her which isnt much, but will bring pants into be shortened if I ask or buy supplies. She brings me different plants 2-3x a week because she knows that I like them.

I love my maid. Nice person, nice family and sweet as the day is long. I think I may bring over some beer to her home Sunday night and sit outside with them drinking with them tomorrow evening.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Yes, HB, she DOES know how lucky she is & she does know she is getting way over the average. And I know how lucky I am, she is totally trustworthy, works nonstop, is punctual, dependable, reliable AND uses her own initiative. And that, here, is priceless.....as the advert says!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Here is some up-to-date information

In Santiago, for washing, ironing and cleaning, non-live-in, RD$3500: Mom and Dad plus two little girls-2 BR, LR, Den, DR and Kitchen APT. Live-in "Ama de llaves" with responsability for one two year old and one two month old, cooking and supervision of cleaning. Was at RD$3500, then increased to RD$4000 and lately RD$5000. Butlots of "extras" like a bag of rice for the family, a knapsack for the daughter, a little 'present" for this or that person...etc. etc. every month or so. Plus at 200+ pounds, the food was very good. Upon her recent dismissal, due to incorrect behavior on the two year old-too rough and abrupt-she received the proportion of her Christmas "?xtra" salary and her vacation time acquired. A total disbursement of RD$7500

This can serve as a more up-to-date guide line for those who want to know.

HB

Wales

English Twit!
May 21, 2004
cost of a maid.

Hillbilly said:
In Santiago, for washing, ironing and cleaning, non-live-in, RD$3500: Mom and Dad plus two little girls-2 BR, LR, Den, DR and Kitchen APT. Live-in "Ama de llaves" with responsability for one two year old and one two month old, cooking and supervision of cleaning. Was at RD$3500, then increased to RD$4000 and lately RD$5000. Butlots of "extras" like a bag of rice for the family, a knapsack for the daughter, a little 'present" for this or that person...etc. etc. every month or so. Plus at 200+ pounds, the food was very good. Upon her recent dismissal, due to incorrect behavior on the two year old-too rough and abrupt-she received the proportion of her Christmas "?xtra" salary and her vacation time acquired. A total disbursement of RD$7500

This can serve as a more up-to-date guide line for those who want to know.

HB

How about doing your own cooking : delicious

How about doing your own cleaning : does not take long

How about doing your own washing and ironing : My wife knows how I like it

Total cost : $ US 0000000000,00000000
Wow!!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
That is your option, Wales. Nobody forces you to hire a housekeeper.

But please clarify for us how much of the responsibility are you proposing to take with respect to the cleaning, the cooking and the washing and ironing and how much will be the responsibility of your wife.

It would be interesting to get her thoughts on the subject.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Wales said:

Wow!!
Will your wife be doing the cooking and cleaning while you are milking the cows?

Brian, it is a quality of life issue. You will find out soon enough.

I haven't had my maid cook my first meal but have had many delicious Dominican meals at friends homes cooked by their maids.

Besides you will be supplying employment for someone that needs it.

Scott

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Lord!!!

Wales said:

Wow!!
Some people would just do anything to save a few pesos!!!!. And I thought that retirees wanted to retire to have a better "old age". "TACANOS OR MACETAS" al ataque!!!!!!!

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
I personally don't think I would ever have a maid. I don't care if I hit the lotto and become rich beyond my wildest dreams. I would rather take care of my own place myself. To each his own I guess.

Larry

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Ken said:
That is your option, Wales. Nobody forces you to hire a housekeeper.

But please clarify for us how much of the responsibility are you proposing to take with respect to the cleaning, the cooking and the washing and ironing and how much will be the responsibility of your wife.

It would be interesting to get her thoughts on the subject.

A perfectly valid question, Ken, & politely worded. Wonder if you'll get a response?

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Wales said:
Wow!!

How many times have you gone to shop for the fresh meat abd condiments for your main meals?

Cleaning? try dusting EVERYDAY and mopping EVERYDAY for a week and see just how LONG it really takes.

Washing and ironing?? C'mon!

How much money have you saved compared to how much grief you've added to your wife's life (because I KNOW YOU wont be the one to take over these responsibilities!)

Anyway - to answer the original question, the average a Dominican pays the maid about 4,000 Pesos + the other little perks of the food (including takout) and a ride.