Unrest Outside Cabarete

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
It's awfully quiet! Did we imagine it?
Did no-one else bump ino the unrest, stone throwing, road blocking and general melee just outside Cabarete on the road to Sosua at lunchtime today 30.07.04??
Some very angry and enojado Dominicans creating a big scene on the main road just past the end of kite Beach.
It appears that the army have been around and chased all the squatters off the lands and out of their houses??
Hope that my tourists got through okay with their taxi to the airport, (I did a 'U' turn with all the other drivers)!
Strange that no-one else reported it?

Last edited:

Kimadj

Oct 23, 2003
Still going on at 4pm, my son had a hell of a job getting through to work in Sosua.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Peter & Alex said:
It's awfully quiet! Did we imagine it?
Did no-one else bump ino the unrest, stone throwing, road blocking and general melee just outside Cabarete on the road to Sosua at lunchtime today 30.07.04??
Some very angry and enojado Dominicans creating a big scene on the main road just past the end of kite Beach.
It appears that the army have been around and chased all the squatters off the lands and out of their houses??
Hope that my tourists got through okay with their taxi to the airport, (I did a 'U' turn with all the other drivers)!
Strange that no-one else reported it?
Personally, I don't have too much sympathy for squatters. If you try to steal someone's land, you deserve to be kicked off, and throwing stones at innocent people driving by doesn't help.
Someone was just saying to me how unfair it was that the army just showed up without warning to kick them off and bulldoze down their houses.
It's quite clear that if they had warned them it would have turned into a battle and a lot of people would have been hurt.
Funny how people who commit crimes make so much noise when justice catches up to them.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
My son came by there in a little open jeep. One of the Big Guys loaded up with weapons, knives etc., jumped into the jeep and promptly loaded up 2 more, saying that they are sure that nobody would mind driving the police around. Sonny boy dropped his hat kinda over his face so that no-one would recognize him and had a hard time convincing these guys to get out of the car when they got to Cabarete. Afterwards a moto conco driver said that "this is clearly Leonel's fault.... This is what Leonel did the last time that he came into power..."

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
This is not something unique to Cabarete. It has happened before in other parts of the country. And like Rocky, I have no sympathy for the squatters when they are evicted from public or private land.

Here is what I received via email

Cabarete, Friday, July 30, 2004 - Television and eye-witness reports from Cabarete today tell of an unnanounced raid by the Dominican military against long time residents of the Cabarete area in a strip between the Cabarete-Sosua Highway and the North Atlantic from Costa Azul to the new Kite Beach hotel. Witnesses say that the military arrived with caterpillars and bulldozers around noon today to evict what was termed "illegal residents" and proceeded to destroy all properties in the zone without warning. Many residents confronted the soldiers with their legal land and property titles but were rebuffed and their homes destoyed anyway. Some people returned from work only to find that their homes or business had been destroyed with all of their possesions still inside. Around 2:00pm witnesses say the crowd of displaced homeowners confronted the army and the army responded by firing on the growing crowd of homeless people. It is presumed that the shots were fired into the air and that no one was injured but that can not be confirmed at this time. The mayor of Cabarete is quote as saying that he was not informed of any pending action and described this action as a "big crime" that will "severely harm tourism" in the area as no one will be willing to buy property in the area if their legally granted titles do not protect their investment from wanton destruction and appropriation by military authorities. Neither the mayor nor anyone else has any information on who was behind the order to remove the structures, which included at least three business, two owned by foreigners, and most of which were substantially constructed 2-3 story concrete buildings, not simple wood and tin shacks. The property destruction and the ensuing protests closed the main north coast highway, route 5, at Costa Azul for several hours this afternoon. The road is open at the moment but down to one lane in the area due to crowds of displaced people scavenging for their belongings among the ruins of their former homes. Many of the residents were quite poor, and those displaced and now without a place to sleep tonight include women, very young children, elderly, and the infirm.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
How about due process in the DR? It seems like behind every problem is the fact that the Dominican Republic does not seem to be a nation of laws. - D

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Hlywud said:
Cabarete, Friday, July 30, 2004 - Television and eye-witness reports from Cabarete today tell of an unnanounced raid by the Dominican military against long time residents of the Cabarete area in a strip between the Cabarete-Sosua Highway and the North Atlantic from Costa Azul to the new Kite Beach hotel. Witnesses say that the military arrived with caterpillars and bulldozers around noon today to evict what was termed "illegal residents" and proceeded to destroy all properties in the zone without warning. Many residents confronted the soldiers with their legal land and property titles but were rebuffed and their homes destoyed anyway. Some people returned from work only to find that their homes or business had been destroyed with all of their possesions still inside. Around 2:00pm witnesses say the crowd of displaced homeowners confronted the army and the army responded by firing on the growing crowd of homeless people. It is presumed that the shots were fired into the air and that no one was injured but that can not be confirmed at this time. The mayor of Cabarete is quote as saying that he was not informed of any pending action and described this action as a "big crime" that will "severely harm tourism" in the area as no one will be willing to buy property in the area if their legally granted titles do not protect their investment from wanton destruction and appropriation by military authorities. Neither the mayor nor anyone else has any information on who was behind the order to remove the structures, which included at least three business, two owned by foreigners, and most of which were substantially constructed 2-3 story concrete buildings, not simple wood and tin shacks. The property destruction and the ensuing protests closed the main north coast highway, route 5, at Costa Azul for several hours this afternoon. The road is open at the moment but down to one lane in the area due to crowds of displaced people scavenging for their belongings among the ruins of their former homes. Many of the residents were quite poor, and those displaced and now without a place to sleep tonight include women, very young children, elderly, and the infirm.
If this is so and they were not squatters, then I sympathise with them completely.
I still don't think it gives them the right to throw stones at people passing by.
I wonder if we'll ever know for sure what went on and who's right and who's wrong in the land dispute.
I can imagine owning a piece of investment property for years and finally deciding to develop it and find that I can't because there are squatters there and it costs me a fortune in court costs and lost years battling these people, then finally getting a court injunction that sent forces in to physically remove them, on the other hand, I can also visualize some mafioso scam artist who has bribed all the right people to wrongfully take over a property that does not belong to him.
I just don't know.
Hope nobody gets hurt.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
If they were squatters, then hurray! Those theives were going to get it one day, I guess for Cabarete today was the day!

If they were not squatters, then oh well, there is nothing that can be done. However, I'm sure that only a few had legal titles and the rest were squatters. Sometimes, the innocent pays along with rest I guess.

The one fault the military did was simply destroying the structures. They should have borrowed one of those trucks that they use to deport Haitians en masse and use them to take all those criminals to the local jail. Those squatters will squat the land again.

Overall, its good the military did that. Squatters and the government lack of doing anything about that problem was a main reason why most of the Jews who settled in Sosua left. Many of the squatters were jealous countrymen of the success the Jews made out of nothing in Sosua and as such, the squatted and squatted and squatted.

I'm glad the squatts are getting their piece of the justice pie.

The military and national police have alot of work ahead of them, especially in the slums of Santo Domingo. Those slum are a squatters dream.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
And about the squatters protesting by throwing rocks, that simply shows the stupidity and ignorance these criminals have.

I always wonder what's the point of burning tires, throwing rocks and such as protest. The only thing that changes is a slight decrease in the local population by bullets, inconvenience, and more garbage. After that, everything stays the same!

Remember the last "huelga" that pretty much paralysed the country. It was suppose to make Hippo get on track as president. Look at us now, and Hippo is still no good. So, what was the point of those Huelgas other than hurting Dominican businesses and the economy?

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Why would the mayor call the military's action "criminal"? Don't you think he would have some idea as to the legal status of the property, or is mayor a meaningless office in the DR? With all of its development and foreign residents, I would think Cabarete would be about the most orderly town in the country. - D

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
When is everyone going to finally get the picture here?

If the Dominican Constitution means nothing,do you think that a "Title" to a piece of land has any value? It just means that no one with more "Power" than the title holder wants that land!
I live above the Zoo in Santo Domingo.Have for 6 years.There was a large parcel of land that belonged to the Zoo,undeveloped,but still an asset to the Zoo.It was basically "jungle".About 5,or 10 (Hard to tell without going in)squaters had built their tin shacks there,grew their "Platanos,Juandiles,etc.A little over a year ago,I started seeing some articles in the SD papers stating how terrible that these people were squating on the Zoo's precious land!The zoo director agreed.I "sensed" that something was up! Sure enough,the "Bulldozers"arrived early on morning,and bulldozed first the houses,then the trees,then anything "green",then they flattened the hills,and filled in the valleys!This "destriction" went on for about 6 months,and then the "construcion" started.An "Urbanizacion',of about 20 houses,and 10 low rise apartment building.All built on "So-Called" Zoo land,now owned by Bisono!
So just remember,if someone has more "Power,read Political or military power,or more money than you do,and they really want your property,they WILL get it!
THe DR has huge books of "LAWS",and then there is "Real Life",where all those "Laws" are selectively enforced,or forgotten, to the advantage of those in power!
Don't get me wrong,those of us who "Survive" here use the system to our advantage,but one must never forgetthat;"Those Who Live By The Sword,can also,"Die" by the Sword "!
Cris Colon,CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
You are the voice of experience & reason, CCCCCCC, but I bet you have just sent some shivers up the spines of the newer folk, who maybe didn't realise this.......particularly those who have just bought land or property in that area.

timelessdreams

Apr 5, 2004
Criss Colon said:
If the Dominican Constitution means nothing,do you think that a "Title" to a piece of land has any value? It just means that no one with more "Power" than the title holder wants that land!
I live above the Zoo in Santo Domingo.Have for 6 years.There was a large parcel of land that belonged to the Zoo,undeveloped,but still an asset to the Zoo.It was basically "jungle".About 5,or 10 (Hard to tell without going in)squaters had built their tin shacks there,grew their "Platanos,Juandiles,etc.A little over a year ago,I started seeing some articles in the SD papers stating how terrible that these people were squating on the Zoo's precious land!The zoo director agreed.I "sensed" that something was up! Sure enough,the "Bulldozers"arrived early on morning,and bulldozed first the houses,then the trees,then anything "green",then they flattened the hills,and filled in the valleys!This "destriction" went on for about 6 months,and then the "construcion" started.An "Urbanizacion',of about 20 houses,and 10 low rise apartment building.All built on "So-Called" Zoo land,now owned by Bisono!
So just remember,if someone has more "Power,read Political or military power,or more money than you do,and they really want your property,they WILL get it!
THe DR has huge books of "LAWS",and then there is "Real Life",where all those "Laws" are selectively enforced,or forgotten, to the advantage of those in power!
Don't get me wrong,those of us who "Survive" here use the system to our advantage,but one must never forgetthat;"Those Who Live By The Sword,can also,"Die" by the Sword "!
Cris Colon,CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Cris,

This CERTAINLY places a huge damper and questions on our plans to settle in Cabarete, and initiate construction plans for our new business venture! If what you say is true, than I resubmit my question in a recent thread "Rising Real Estate Prices"
my reply "Land Reform" # 22 post. (if I knew how to link it, I would)

If legally titiled land with 3 story structures/businesses were victims of this onslaught, what rights do any of us have? Were there no attemps to verify documents prior to the destruction?

Please, I'm requesting some encouragement to move forward....

Thank you!
Susie

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Timeless

If you will do a little research into land speculation in the DR you will find that what happened in Cabarete is but the tip of the iceberg.

if you have the right friends and connections in the military and Police in this country and provide them with the appropriate "incentives" you can get whatever you want, whenever you want it. All it takes is MONEY greasing the right palms.

The 'government" won't do anything to help you because they are powerless to do so in the face of the power that the military and police have over this society. Additionally, they're scared to death of retribution from those sources should they cross them.

My advise is don't buy a damn thing. Rent what you want and have an ironbound contract to protect your interests, pay the local police amd Colonel their due and live happily ever after.

Texas Bill

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
For all of you would be residents who are being scared to death (again!) by the expatriates here in the DR, let me give you some insight.

Many of these folks are preaching the truth, but as always it gets a little "carried away".

Sure, private property here is a notion that has caught on somewhat, despite the fact that the Europeans introduced such thing back in the late 1490s! But ask yourself this question:

Many of these expats posting here have properties in the DR. Many mention how they are buying up property in Rio San Juan, Puerto Plata, etc. etc. I'm talking about the Dominicanized expatriate, the ones that have been here forever now. Now, the question is this. Why is it ok for the seasoned expatriate to buy land in the DR and build houses or start businesses, but not for foreigners contemplating a move to the DR? Based from what TB or CC has been saying here it would seem that they don't own any property, but to my understanding CC owns his plot (I'm not sure of TB, but he probably owns something here too).

In short, if you want to move to the DR and you want to buy land and build go right ahead and do so. Just make sure that when squatters begin to squat the land around your property or yourown property, kick them out because when the Bulldozers come in, its everything that will be sweeped clean. Maybe if your house looks expensive and fancy it might be spared simply based on the notion that it belongs to some rich guy, but then again, maybe not.

Just buy and take care of your sorroundings and you'll be fine! Secure your land title through the Stewart Little company and capish, case closed.

When someone that lives in the DR at will tells you or gives you negative reasons why you shouldn't, always ask them why they themselves live in that place that is unliveable.

CC, TB, I'm not discrediting your statements or anything, just calming the nerves of this guy. You guys really do a heck of a job at keeping the DR to yourself!

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Also keep in mind, that even in the US the government there can force you to give up your property if the government has a different plan for it.

Try standing up to uncle Sam when uncle Sam wants your house to built a highway or to make a park or something, you can't say no. Either you accept their monetary offer for your property or you are kicked out! When uncle Sam wants it, he gets it. So, in a way it can be said to be like in the US, but in a little more chaotic manner.

Also keep in mind, there are many false claims to properties on this island. If the title was not done by a recongnized company, doubt the titles.

Kimadj

Oct 23, 2003
Stewart Little

Nal0whs said:
Just buy and take care of your sorroundings and you'll be fine! Secure your land title through the Stewart Little company and capish, case closed.

!

Stewart Little also has starred in great movies. He is billed as an adorable little mouse with a big heart.
I am sure in his spare time he also runs a fantastic tile company.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Kim & Paul said:
Stewart Little also has starred in great movies. He is billed as an adorable little mouse with a big heart.

He he he, ooops, it's Stewart Title. You know what I meant!

timelessdreams

Apr 5, 2004
Kim & Paul said:

Double WHAMMY!

Thanks, Kim and Paul...I will be happy to contact Stewart Little whilst I search for new TILE for my kitchen and bath!

Thanks, guys, I inevitably needed a good laugh! :nervous:

Susie