How are things in Santiago?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I was reading how Santiago was flooded. If our Santiago members sign in let us know how everything is going for you.

Thanks

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
We're dry now

Remember, in case you didn't know, Santiago is perched on a hill that overlooks the Yaque River. That's good and it's bad.

For those of us that live in the upper parts of town the rain forms giant puddles at the busiest intersections and in the low spots of the major roads. However, in a few hours it drains off (much too slowly) , and then it is reallly flooding the lower parts of town. (edited to add) Many years ago,A friend and collegue was drowned in his car when it flipped over under high flooding of the roadway known as the Circumvalci?n down by the Zona Franca. They were in the roadway going slowly when a BIG tractor trailer went splashing through in the other direction making a huge bow wave that flipped their little car over. He pushed her out but was caught under the car by the continuing wave action as other vehicles went by. Phucking idiotic tragedy.

We'll know tomorrow how many victims there were this time. We know of one or possibly two. I saw a lot of local flooding in low areas of some of the nicest areas....

HB

Last edited:

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
DAMN, .... why do these things always happen to the nice guys????? I suppose the tractor driver doesn't even know what he did? Can he be got for involuntary manslaughter or something?

Peace & tranquilty be with YOU HB - I need you in a couple of weeks with Chris (GreyGhost) so stay safe for us please!! - Grahame.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
As I was telling someone, mostly the rain just meant alot of mopping for me, since it came down almost vertically and found all of the cracks between the window panes.

Also traffic was really slow, took nearly an hour to get from Hache to Ochoa, mostly because everyone was stoppng at the bridge to look down and see if the little shacks were still there. (they were)

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I came home to a tiny lake settled in my living room. The fat chopo (maestro Antonio) who designed my house made the floor slanted into the house. When ever it rains heavily, i get water coming inside. Took me over an hour to clean the mess and almost half the time in mopping.

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
Darn it! I missed that sight! Did you take pictures? Did you use Mistolin? Were you in an apron? What else were you wearing, a head rag to absorb moisture? AZB did you work up a sweat? I would have loved to see you in action! :laugh:

I couldn't resist AZB, it was too good to pass up.

Hope all is well...and go finish squeezing that mop. I want you to ring it good.

D
AZB said:
I came home to a tiny lake settled in my living room. The fat chopo (maestro Antonio) who designed my house made the floor slanted into the house. When ever it rains heavily, i get water coming inside. Took me over an hour to clean the mess and almost half the time in mopping.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
mRmIKE KNOWS COMPUTERS BETTER THAN mICHAEL dELL, BUT HIS GEOMETRY IS A LITTLE OFF!

He meant that the rain was near horizontal!! With near tornado force at some spots. Like Mike and AZB, we did a lot of mopping up at the Hovel. Going through Reparto Oquet yesterday I saw one place taking out all of their merchandise that had been on SHELVING and they were drying it out! It is one of the lower spots in the area and the natural drainage to the arroyo which has been stoppered by the housing that is there.

This is the type of storm that can cause millions of pesos of damage to the plantain and banana crops if it hits one of those areas.

HB