Baseball fans...

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
How about this kid Cabrera on Baltimore that threw against the Yanks tonight? What part of the DR is he from? The kid is a gem I tell ya. Big lanky kid, very composed, good fastball, great 12 to 6 curve. Too bad he is stuck pitching for the O's. I'll bring this thread back up when he pitches his first no-hitter. He is a future star for sure.

Larry

audboogie

Jul 4, 2004
doing good this year after being pulled up from double A...don't let his age fool you .......

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Don't let his "age" fool you???

Do you mean he is extremely composed for his age or that they are misreporting his age?

Last night the said he is 23.

Larry

Tordok

Bronze
Oct 6, 2003
Cabrera is from San Pedro de Macor?s.

Scouted and signed for the Orioles by Salvador R?mirez and Carlos Bernhardt, who where also his first pitching coach and manager. Never pitched higher than Class A ball in the U.S. before 2004 - for good reason, as he needed maturing. Went to the major league club in Spring Training this year, to show his stuff around major league batters and coaches. Started the 04 season with AA Bowie and later called-up to the majors, where he has stayed since his debut. I've known him for a few years. He is a very good natured young man, but also very serious and focused. The O's have suffered tremendously in this campaign from an inexperienced starting rotation and inconsitent bullpen. Ponson has been a big waste of money, but he may be coming back now with 3 wins in a row. But they have a few pitching prospects en route to maturity. There's a Venezuelan kid playing low A ball who earlier this month struck-out 12 batters one after the other. Mementos were sent to Cooperstown; never before at any level of American professional baseball had such feat been recorded. !! I know the O's suck this year, but they will become stronger and go deeper into seasons in the next couple of years.

- Tordok (O's fan: gotta believe!)

http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/player.jsp?player_id=425555

http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/player_career.jsp?player_id=425555

Tordok

Bronze
Oct 6, 2003
Larry said:
OK. How old is he then? He looks very young.

Larry

Like I said before, I've known this fellow since his start with the O's in instructional leagues. I've witnessed his physical development, entirely natural, and he has gained several inches in height in the last 3 years. Only young men under 21 can still continue to get taller. Now he has reached his physiologically mature stage. The psychological maturity comes from the combination of a natural temperament, good coaching, and staying in the minors to get more innings under his belt. So yes, he may seem older than 23, but I can attest to him being no older than 23.
- Tordok

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Not to hijack, but just an addition.

The Raul Mondesi time in Anaheim is over.

He was released.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Cleef said:
The Raul Mondesi time in Anaheim is over.

He was released.

Selfish and immature player. Had all the tools but was severely lacking in plate dicipline, maturity and understanding teamwork and winning as a team.

Larry

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
There is a rumor flying wround that Nomar was just sent to the cubbies............

Larry

KrackedKris

On Vacation!
Apr 8, 2004
Larry said:
There is a rumor flying wround that Nomar was just sent to the cubbies............

Larry

No more rumor Larry, idiot Sox did it again

Expos sent shortstop Orlando Cabrera to Boston, the Cubs sent shortstop Alex Gonzalez to the Expos, the Minnesota Twins sent first baseman Doug Mientkiewicz to the Red Sox and the Twins received minor league possibles :(

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Well, first let me state for those of you that dont know that I am a die hard yankee fan.

OK, taking an objective point of view, I BLAME all this on Nomar. He could have been the best hitting shortstop in the game. A few years ago he was an absolute monster at the plate but he became a crybaby. He had trouble dealing with the media, the fans, and in the end, I really think his desire to win and to win IN BOSTON was strongly questioned. Despite all his talent, his personality got in the way of what he should have been, and that's the cornerstone of a winning franchise for years. As a result, the Red Sox correctly off-loaded him for a lesser talent before he became a free agent at the end of the year. Nomar, too bad you couldn't have the class, personality and will to win that Derek Jeter has. Red Sox fans are forced to continue their suffering.

Larry