Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parrot Problems

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Parrot Problems

Does anyone know of a rescue centre for native parrots? Any advice from anyone who knows anything about local parrots would be appreciated.

Thanks

Nicky & Simon

Post Thanks / Like

Default Parrot Problems

What is the problem? I have had parrots before and do know a bit about them.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default The problem is...

There are two of them. It will take at least six months for their flight feathers to grow back after some crazy Dominican got to them with a pair of scissors. They are not domestic pets - they need a sanctuary where they wont be disturbed. Ultimately, and as soon as possible, they need their freedom.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Contact Dr. Bob or Judy, they'll probably know. I thought from the title this was going to be a follow on from tree frogs & centipedes! Now I realise you've rescued 2 very lucky parrots, well done, keep up the good work!

Post Thanks / Like

Default If you can keep them for a while

If you can keep them in a cage for a while, they will be happy to return to the wild once their flight feathers grow back in.

Is there a flock nearby? It doesn't matter as these will join up with a flock no matter what. You could release them up in the hills.

If this is too difficult, let me know and I'll come get them.

HB

Poll's Forum Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simon & Nicky
    Does anyone know of a rescue centre for native parrots? Any advice from anyone who knows anything about local parrots would be appreciated.

Thanks

Nicky & Simon
    You might want to contact the zoo in SDQ, they might have a "rescue nature" program or something. I'm not sure about this though. However, the National Aquarium in SDQ has a program that rescues manatees and turtles and things of that nature, so it makes sense to think that the National Zoo has something.

I'll see if I can get u the Zoo contact information.

aka - shadley
    Post Thanks / Like

You can make a cage cheap and fast with chicken wire. You will need a pretty good sized space ( about 6 feet wide and deep and 6 feet high ). It will need a roost bar and a food and water tray.

Try the vet for commercial parrot food, or if you can't find that try rabbit or calf feed, preferablely the pelleted kind. Sunflower seeds and dried corn from the agrovet store might do the trick too. If you get some help from other parrot owners on the board you might be able to find out what fruits and seeds they like.

you wont be able to release them until they can fly. the stray dogs will kill them...........

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Thank-you to everyone who offered help

Thanks so much to everyone who offered us help. The parrots have taken up residence in our house and if they haven't eaten it, then they've sh*t on it but we're getting used to it! George and Mildred (that's their names) would also like to thank all the kind people who have helped us to make their stay more comfortable. We figured that they were our responsibilty so we had to do the right thing and look after them ourselves.

We are building them a house (at great expense) on our grounds which will still be cheaper than replacing all our chomped furniture.

If anyone would like to help other parrots like George and Mildred then you can by taking photographs of the people who trap and chop these poor little creatures and then offer them for sale on the main Saniago - Santo Domingo highway.

Perhaps if we get enough photo's together we can take them to the proper authorities to deal with it. (well you never know your luck eh)?

So the big release date is hopefully only several months away. - We'll keep you posted.

Simon, Nicky, George & Mildred

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done, you two, or rather you four (or possibly it is you eight by now!). A really nice story.
    Not sure how successful photgraphing the Rogues Gallery will be, but if I come across any perpetrators I'll let you know.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Well done you two!

I should have warned you. Parrots and macaws are terrible destructive-why do you think they put those stones to sharpen their beaks in the cages....??

If you see anymore, just let us know and we'll pitch in and try and help..

HB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast