Parrot Problems

Maxster

Nov 13, 2003
What is the problem? I have had parrots before and do know a bit about them. :classic:

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
The problem is...

There are two of them. It will take at least six months for their flight feathers to grow back after some crazy Dominican got to them with a pair of scissors. They are not domestic pets - they need a sanctuary where they wont be disturbed. Ultimately, and as soon as possible, they need their freedom.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Contact Dr. Bob or Judy, they'll probably know. I thought from the title this was going to be a follow on from tree frogs & centipedes! Now I realise you've rescued 2 very lucky parrots, well done, keep up the good work!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If you can keep them for a while

If you can keep them in a cage for a while, they will be happy to return to the wild once their flight feathers grow back in.

Is there a flock nearby? It doesn't matter as these will join up with a flock no matter what. You could release them up in the hills.

If this is too difficult, let me know and I'll come get them.

HB

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Simon & Nicky said:
Does anyone know of a rescue centre for native parrots? Any advice from anyone who knows anything about local parrots would be appreciated.

Thanks

Nicky & Simon

You might want to contact the zoo in SDQ, they might have a "rescue nature" program or something. I'm not sure about this though. However, the National Aquarium in SDQ has a program that rescues manatees and turtles and things of that nature, so it makes sense to think that the National Zoo has something.

I'll see if I can get u the Zoo contact information.

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
You can make a cage cheap and fast with chicken wire. You will need a pretty good sized space ( about 6 feet wide and deep and 6 feet high ). It will need a roost bar and a food and water tray.

Try the vet for commercial parrot food, or if you can't find that try rabbit or calf feed, preferablely the pelleted kind. Sunflower seeds and dried corn from the agrovet store might do the trick too. If you get some help from other parrot owners on the board you might be able to find out what fruits and seeds they like.

you wont be able to release them until they can fly. the stray dogs will kill them...........

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
Thank-you to everyone who offered help

Thanks so much to everyone who offered us help. The parrots have taken up residence in our house and if they haven't eaten it, then they've sh*t on it but we're getting used to it! George and Mildred (that's their names) would also like to thank all the kind people who have helped us to make their stay more comfortable. We figured that they were our responsibilty so we had to do the right thing and look after them ourselves.

We are building them a house (at great expense) on our grounds which will still be cheaper than replacing all our chomped furniture.

If anyone would like to help other parrots like George and Mildred then you can by taking photographs of the people who trap and chop these poor little creatures and then offer them for sale on the main Saniago - Santo Domingo highway.

Perhaps if we get enough photo's together we can take them to the proper authorities to deal with it. (well you never know your luck eh)?

So the big release date is hopefully only several months away. - We'll keep you posted.

Simon, Nicky, George & Mildred :confused:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Well done, you two, or rather you four (or possibly it is you eight by now!). A really nice story.
Not sure how successful photgraphing the Rogues Gallery will be, but if I come across any perpetrators I'll let you know.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Well done you two!

I should have warned you. Parrots and macaws are terrible destructive-why do you think they put those stones to sharpen their beaks in the cages....??

If you see anymore, just let us know and we'll pitch in and try and help..

HB :D:D:D

Festero

Dec 15, 2002
JDJones said:
I too have rescued a few from the idiots that sell them along the road in Santiago. -----
To be honest with you, if I had a big enough cage, I would buy a lot more of them; it's heart wrenching to see what those clowns do to them to make a few pesos.

As charitable as it may be for the ones that are saved, doesn't that practice perpetuate the capture and subsequent mistreatment of others?

There may be a better way.... but unfortunately I have no answer. I suppose it's an education thing along with possible incentives to halt the practice.

- Festero del Norte

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
Festero - how right you are.

Indeed, buy two parrots and two more are taken. It is easy for me to say that there were special circumstances. I guess the parrots will be pleased with our purchase too when we release them but buying them in the first place is a dumb *** thing to do.

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
Born free .....

I'm sure you will all be glad to know that yesterday afternoon George and Mildred took to the skies again. They brought us a lot of smiles (and tears when it was time to say goodbye) but I would thoroughly recommend that anyone considering taking on a pair should think twice. - I'm pretty sure it's illegal to have them as pets anyway.

I can't remember what they cost but let's say $10. They must have scoffed their way through another $30 worth of food. Then came their activity centre that I built so they could entertain themselves $50? Plus the cost of a cage ($40) that we bought while we were building a bird house for them $1600 dollars. Then add the damage to our furniture (at least $500) and I hope you get the picture!

I wasted many months of my time trying to teach them their phone number before they left - do you think I ever got one bloody word out of them? All I got for my trouble was several scars on my hands where the little sods pecked me. - We'll miss them!