Local business customs

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I've got some meetings set up on an upcoming trip to the DR.

What is the proper dress for a fairly casual frist meeting? I don't want to wear a suit, but I don't think my cutoffs and tank top would be appropriate either. First impressions are important.

I'd appreciate some input.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
cobraboy said:
I've got some meetings set up on an upcoming trip to the DR.

What is the proper dress for a fairly casual frist meeting? I don't want to wear a suit, but I don't think my cutoffs and tank top would be appropriate either. First impressions are important.

I'd appreciate some input.

What you wear depends on where and who you will be meeting. Another factor is if you are applying for a job, are seeking to become a business partner through the casual meeting.

If you are meeting in Santo Domingo, the city is more formal than a meeting in one of the tourism destinations, where suit or jacket is not required.

If the meeting is casual, then I would not wear a jacket. This is summer.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Dolores said:
What you wear depends on where and who you will be meeting. Another factor is if you are applying for a job, are seeking to become a business partner through the casual meeting.

If you are meeting in Santo Domingo, the city is more formal than a meeting in one of the tourism destinations, where suit or jacket is not required.

If the meeting is casual, then I would not wear a jacket. This is summer.
Meeting with realtors, lawyers, and business people in basically a tourist area. But I want to be taken seriously, so dress is important.

I'm in Florida. trust me, I know it's summer.

Oche

Jan 6, 2004
Standard office clothes will do. (i mean, long sleeve shirt, pref white plain or striped, no jeans, you can wear casual dark color pants instead of formal ones, as long as they are light and fresh, dark formal shoes, brown or black, dark socks and do wear a modern but conservative tie that is not too tropical. As dolores said wearing the jacket is not imperative, but if you want to wear it, don't wear the tie)

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
cobraboy said:
Meeting with realtors, lawyers, and business people in basically a tourist area. But I want to be taken seriously, so dress is important.

I'm in Florida. trust me, I know it's summer.
Slacks and a longsleeve shirt would be what I would wear to this sort of gathering and people. After you are ok in the tank top and cutoffs:) They forgive Americans:) If you are going to be on the North Coast and need any recommendations PM me.

Scott

T

TiberiusMineola

Standard 'dress up' business wear

I agree with Escott; standard, "near universal" businees wear here seems to consisit of a long sleeve dress shirt, unbuttoned, dark slacks, socks & shoes [not sneakers nor sandals]. Even in the Capitol, I rarely see businessmen with suits, sport jackets nor neckties. 1 notable exception: judicial proceedings, the judges, clerks, & lawyers [when in court] have a totally seperate dress code. After you're here 2, 3 days, observe how the Domincan males you're associating with dress; then, . . imitate them. Good luck with your business ventures.