SMS to / from DR???

Voyager

Mar 1, 2004
Does anybody know if it is possible to send SMS (text messages) to and from mobile phones in DR? What do my friends in DR have to do to receive my SMS and be able to send SMS to me?

I think "texting" from mobile to mobile it is a very good way to keep in touch! At the moment, I send SMS from my mobile here in Saudi-Arabia to my friends in Europe, Thailand, the Philippines and Australia. And they send to me.

I have desperately tried to send SMS to people in DR, but with no success. If they can do it in the Philippines, surely they can do it in DR?

mariel

Dominisueca
Apr 7, 2004
when i was there i could receive sms from europe with no probs (once i got one delayed!). i have my phone with telia, so i used the orange network and to my surprise all the sms i sent were received within minutes (i say to my surprise because when i lived there i had a cellphone with orange and NEVER could send a sms).

maybe you could try www.bipeame.com.do (at the left you'll see something like "send message to cellphone" and the 4 providers' links - that will redirect you to another page).

vi h?rs!

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
You can send a text message to a Codetel customer from the internet. I don't have the link right now, but search "mini mensaje codetel" on Google and you will see it. It's free to send and receive.

Voyager

Mar 1, 2004
Nelly said:
You can send a text message to a Codetel customer from the internet. I don't have the link right now, but search "mini mensaje codetel" on Google and you will see it. It's free to send and receive.

Thanks for the info!

However, I already know that I can send a text message from internet to a cell phone. The point of SMS is to be able to send text messages from cell phone to cell phone WITHOUT having to use the internet! I thought DR was high tech enough for that, but it seems not... Hm?

p2020

May 28, 2004
Nelly said:

There are two methods to consider like some of you have already mentioned: (1) Internet to mobile and (2) Mobile to mobile. GSM networks are a lot more developed in terms of global interconexion to allow sending mobile to mobile SMS to and from any part of the world. CDMA networks are still far behind. In the Dominican Republic the only GSM network that would allow you to receive a message from virtually anywhere in the world with a GSM phone is Orange Dominicana.

Internet to mobile: Currently it is possible to send this type of message to all mobile/cellular providers in the Dominican Republic. The only one charging for it is Orange and the reason for that I believe is because most people using it would be outside of Dominican Republic trying to bypass the cost of sending an SMS from a mobile phone.

Mobile to mobile: As I mentioned before, GSM networks are a lot more developed in this area so it is easier for GSM carriers to "plug-into" the SMS gateways world-wide, so sending and SMS to an Orange number will probably work from a GSM phone outside of the Dominican Republic. For other Dominican carriers however, you would have to find out if they have specific agreements for international messaging.

Also at D.R.TELECOM you will find links for sending SMS to Dominican carriers on the left side of the page.

I hope that helps.

Voyager

Mar 1, 2004
mariel said:
when i was there i could receive sms from europe with no probs (once i got one delayed!). i have my phone with telia, so i used the orange network and to my surprise all the sms i sent were received within minutes (i say to my surprise because when i lived there i had a cellphone with orange and NEVER could send a sms).

maybe you could try www.bipeame.com.do (at the left you'll see something like "send message to cellphone" and the 4 providers' links - that will redirect you to another page).

vi h?rs!

Hej Mariel! I guess you have international roaming and the SMS were re-distributed via your Swedish operator (Telia). Sweden is some country, huh? Wow! ;)

franco

Nov 5, 2003
I've sent a lot of SMS to different GSM providers around the world from my Orange phone, everybody can recieve my messages without any problems (Russia, UK, Hungary, etc.), but I can't recieve any SMS from outside DR... :-( And I don't know why...

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
funny

franco said:
I've sent a lot of SMS to different GSM providers around the world from my Orange phone, everybody can recieve my messages without any problems (Russia, UK, Hungary, etc.), but I can't recieve any SMS from outside DR... :-( And I don't know why...

I am able to send text messages from Indianapolis the the DR with out any problem but un able to receive. I have Cingular and messages i send home are from my DR Orange account.
Charlie

p2020

May 28, 2004
to Franco and Chuckunindy

chuckuindy said:
I am able to send text messages from Indianapolis the the DR with out any problem but un able to receive. I have Cingular and messages i send home are from my DR Orange account.
Charlie

Franco, if you are not able to receive messages from outside the DR it might be that Orange Dominicana does not allow it and they want people to pay them directly and use their website to do it, but if they allow you to send an sms to another country they probably have the agreements to allow incoming sms as well, so that is strange.

Chuckuindy, are you using the web to send messages with your Orange account? or your mobile?. If it is the web, then it makes sense with what Franco wrote, if it is your mobile phone, then maybe you can share how you are entering the number for it to work. As to the receiving part, maybe Orange or Cingular don't have an agreement for sms interconexion, but people could try sendig you sms over the web at the cingular website.

baileyboy

Jun 27, 2004
I can receive texts

from my boyfriend on my cell phone which is GSM,however when I send them to him, it shows on my phone that it is sent, but he doesn't receive it. I heard that it's because Orange stops any incoming internationally text messages. So I'm not sure, because when I go to the DR, my cell phone works there, I don't need a a SIM card, so I thought I would be able to send him text messages, but I can't.
lisa