Policia

sonny

Aug 6, 2002
I had an intersting encounter with the police yesterday which I would like to share with the board, maybe get some advice from other Expats living here on how I could better deal with the situation when (not if) it happens again. I was driving on 27 de Febrero in front of Centro de Cultura de Leon Jimenez with a couple of my friends from NY when they noticed that there were two guys following and pointing at us from a motorcycle. I looked back and saw that one of them had a nice pistol in his hand. The guy with the gun told me to pull over. At this point I'm thinking that this could be the police or some criminals, but I decided to pull over right no 27 where there are a lot of people praying that its safer. One of the cops showed me his police card and asked us all to get out of the jeep and started searching my friends and my jeep for guns. He asked me to show him all the papers which I did. Luckily I had everything prepared for just such an event. Also, I know someone in the police department who is a good friend of the general's so I got him on my cell phone and passed it on to the guy. About 10 minutes later, when he couldn't find anything thing wrong with our papers I got a call from my connection who spoke to the policeman and then told me to just give him 200 pesos for "gas" so we can get going. Well I told the guy that I am sorry but I do not have any money and that I'll give it to him later or something. This is the best part....this guy then proceeds to give me his name and phone number so I can call him when I have the money! Well we all left there pretty pissed off and my friends now have a nice story to tell when they get back to NY.

So now can someone please tell me what is the best way to deal with a situation like this? This time they were the police but who knows if next time they are some carjackers? What are we supposed to do when two gun weilding, unmarked men ask you to pull over? How could I have handeled this situation better, or what do you do when this happens to you?

Thanks,
Sonny.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Obviously out just looking for money. They would have to blow my tires out before I would stop for them. Depending on my location, would depend on my reaction to a similar situation.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Buy yourself a cheap old car and you will never get pulled over.
AZB

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004

Sonny, you did fine, however I'm suspect of your 'someone in the police department who is a good friend of the general's'. Obviously a little overplaying it there just to hit you for gas, but gas happens to be a prime comodity nowadays for the police. I'm a ham operator and I listen in most nights on police channels, and for the last four days night patrols have come to a virtual halt for lack of gas.

Mirador

franco

Nov 5, 2003
AZB said:
AZB

Or some new and luxury, they are afraid of an expensive cars. I frequently use my cell phone without "handsfree", they look at me, but never stop.

Some general lives with me in the same building and he drives same color jeepeta with regular (private 'G') "placa", maybe that's why they are afraid of my car. ;-)

sonny

Aug 6, 2002
Well thank you for all the comments, I really appreciate them. I am sick and tired of this shakedowns, especially with the firearms out. Now I know that its only a matter of time before this happens again and I think that thanks to this board we can really do something about it. Maybe we cannot vote for a better government but I want to do SOMETHING about this. As I mentioned before I happen to know someone who is close to a General. Since my family owns a factory in a Free Zone, I also have access to other higher level officials. Now I am not saying that I can solve all the problems for everyone, but I think that if we all help each other out with our connections then maybe the police will think twice before pulling over a foreigner to extort money. I think that its a baby step in the right direction, because I am tired of being taken for a ride! Please let me know what you guys think, I know the veterans here must be sick of this also, and if we continue to take it like its normal then we are as guilty of this corruption as the people who ask us for money. We all sit here and complain about the Dominicans, I think its time we took a look in the mirror. We have power ladies and gentlemen, and we should use it or be treated like sheep. I hope that I don't offend anyone, I need your help in this....together we can do something, maybe something small but something nonetheless.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Sonny, very few expats have any pull in this country. Most ex pats simply are close to putas and sankies in the coastal cities and don't even speak spanish. They are not interested in getting to know influential folks of this country. Even if they would get the opportunity to get introduced to a general or coronal they will find a waY to offend him by their arrogance. yes there are expats who are connected to the bone with high officials of this country but you will not see them getting involved in traffic incidents. these people are well protected and don't worry about some pistol waving police on motorcycle. The trick is to know powerful dominicans in important positions. Invite them to your house parties, BBQ or to even a river. Better yet, go to their parties and bring a nice bottle of wine or whiskey. Learn spanish and speak their language the way they speak it. Use the vacabulary that suits his taste. Once you bag a higher official, no one can touch you unless you kill someone, rape a little girl or get involved in drugs (you are on your own). These higher officials will always protect you from simple problem.
I was in cabarete in semana santa and you know the traffic situation there. No parking. I spoke to a Amet who seemed like he was from santiago. I told him that I was a friend of his supervisor. When he heard his name, he stopped all the traffic and prevented one guy from parking and gave me a spot right there and watched my car the whole evening.
Dominicans are very easy to entertain and they are good people. Just don't bore them with your gringo dry humor or talk about stock market or tell them how stupid they are for electing hippolito etc. They know they screwed up so give them a face to hide.
I suggest, you rip up his name and number and move on. Chances are, you will not be stopped again for years.
AZB

sonny

Aug 6, 2002
Its ok, the general met with the guy already. He gave some weak excuse that I was driving with the music loud and had 5 people in my jeep. I found this hilarious because I have a stock system in my jeep and most people drive with the speakers of Madison Square Garden in their cars. Regardless, you are correct Aftab, you have to have protection over here, also its always good to keep your head down along with your music. Hey how about some Biryani....KC should be arriving today.

ltsnyder

Bronze
Jun 4, 2003
www.x3ci.com
Well as far as cars go, I only drive rentals. . .

I was pulled over when driving back from Playa Dorada to POP because a light was out, (due to going though deep water on the main road during an earlier flash flood ). THe policaman was explaining to me that I could not leave with out the light working. I pleaded with him and explained that is was not my car is was the Poverisito rent-a-car company down the road's car, and Sever the owner would be so upset to have to pull his car out of the police lot (if it was there in the morning). The police man let me go. I don't think there was anything wrong or subversive about his intent. But if you have a fancy car, you have a fancy problem.

Of couse when I was alloed to leave, I promptly returned to the shack of my sankie and puta only to find them in bed waiting for me, and if you doubt me, ask AZB, he'll clarify if for you, let there be no doubt. ;)

-Lee

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
AZB is correct. Very few gringos have friends in high places. Those that do, know better than to "share" them. One cannot vouch for the quality of many gringos, & one would not want to lose one's "contact" by him being embarassed by a gringo who does not understand how to be pleasant, charming & respectful.
I applaud your good intentions that we all "pool" our resources, but in this instance, I honestly don't think it would work. Sounds like you've already got a good contact.....keep him.