Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Promesa (compromiso) de matrimonio

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Promesa (compromiso) de matrimonio

Hello everybody,

I recently met a Dominican girl, and we fell in love.
    Soon we were talking marriage, but she was going much faster than I liked to, so I started putting on the brakes.

At that point, I suggested I meet her mother and ask her permission to marry her daughter, but she insisted instead on me signing a marriage promise, she said either "promesa de matrimonio" or "compromiso de matrimonio", so that she could be certain that I would eventually marry her.

She is unmarried and she has a daughter, 6 years old (from another guy).

What am I getting myself into?

bye bye

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anonymous1960
    What am I getting myself into?
    A huge mess...

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

bye bye
    That's it, exactly what you should say to the girl.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Don't do it.

Rule numero uno. Sign Nothing!!
    I believe there is a Sticky on Dominican Dating and what to look for, also check previous threads on dating and marriage.

I didn't last long...
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Cojones!!!!!!!!

Are you for real?. Please tell me that this is a joke and you are just trying to pull our legs?. Ok, the joke is on us. I hope that you made fun of those, including me, that responded to this "great" thread.

First of all, by your nickname, you are telling us that you are 44 so now let me ask you something: ARE YOU FRICKING CRAZY?????. If this is true, this girl did a big number on you (sexually) in order for you to even think about asking what you just asked. If anybody wants me to sign antyhing by force, I would just send that person to hell and move on. In case you don't see the sign, and I really do not know how in hell you can not, this girl is desperate to land someone, anyone!.
    Now, I just going to sit here and I will wait for your reply telling us that it was an "April Fool", in August, joke.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by miguel
    Are you for real?. Please tell me that this is a joke and you are just trying to pull our legs?. Ok, the joke is on us. I hope that you made fun of those, including me, that responded to this "great" thread.

First of all, by your nickname, you are telling us that you are 44 so now let me ask you something: ARE YOU FRICKING CRAZY?????. If this is true, this girl did a big number on you (sexually) in order for you to even think about asking what you just asked. If anybody wants me to sign antyhing by force, I would just send that person to hell and move on. In case you don't see the sign, and I really do not know how in hell you can not, this girl is desperate to land someone, anyone!.
    Now, I just going to sit here and I will wait for your reply telling us that it was an "April Fool", in August, joke.
    Well it is not an April Fool and I am not 44, but I see a pattern here, it looks like I should not be signing it.

Still, why not? In my country, you would not even find a lawyer to draft it, since you cannot sign anything that is not a contract, and judges would want it to get it framed as a laughing piece.

So why is it dangerous here? The way i see it, I would sign something that says "I promise to marry Fulana de Tal" and then I could sign another piece of paper saying "I promise I changed my mind". What's the problem?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Still, why not? In my country, you would not even find a lawyer to draft it, since you cannot sign anything that is not a contract, and judges would want it to get it framed as a laughing piece.

So why is it dangerous here? The way i see it, I would sign something that says "I promise to marry Fulana de Tal" and then I could sign another piece of paper saying "I promise I changed my mind". What's the problem?
    In your country you know the rules. But this is not your country. You won't know until the day you change your mind whether you are in deep trouble or not. Here you can find a lawyer to draft and notarize it and a judge who will not consider it a "laughing piece".

What is the girl going to do if you don't sign it? Break off the relationship? Not a chance. Unmarried, 6 year old child, and a gringo lover; she's going to keep this going for as long as she can.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't you the person who was concerned about an "impedimiento" preventing you from leaving the DR? If you are, I'll forbear from any opinionated comment, but merely suggest you look at both of these questions alongside each other......I think you will get my drift!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mrom my Olympic Heights of experience. I'd say

You wuz about to get "screwed. blued and tatooed"!

Lambada has it right:" Seņor Magistrado. this man promised to marry me and now he is abandoning me with this six year old baby!"

While you unravel this mess, your money is going to lawyers and your health is not improving.

This seems like it needs that sophmoric treatment of F F F F

Find 'em
    Feel 'em
    F*** 'em &
    Forget '' em!

HB

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool 4 F's

But HB, you forgot to ask that all important question, does she work at a resort? That truly would be icing on the cake.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast