Promesa (compromiso) de matrimonio

anonymous1960

Jul 7, 2004
Hello everybody,

I recently met a Dominican girl, and we fell in love.
Soon we were talking marriage, but she was going much faster than I liked to, so I started putting on the brakes.

At that point, I suggested I meet her mother and ask her permission to marry her daughter, but she insisted instead on me signing a marriage promise, she said either "promesa de matrimonio" or "compromiso de matrimonio", so that she could be certain that I would eventually marry her.

She is unmarried and she has a daughter, 6 years old (from another guy).

What am I getting myself into?

bye bye

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Don't do it.

Rule numero uno. Sign Nothing!!
I believe there is a Sticky on Dominican Dating and what to look for, also check previous threads on dating and marriage.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Cojones!!!!!!!!

Are you for real?. Please tell me that this is a joke and you are just trying to pull our legs?. Ok, the joke is on us. I hope that you made fun of those, including me, that responded to this "great" thread.

First of all, by your nickname, you are telling us that you are 44 so now let me ask you something: ARE YOU FRICKING CRAZY?????. If this is true, this girl did a big number on you (sexually) in order for you to even think about asking what you just asked. If anybody wants me to sign antyhing by force, I would just send that person to hell and move on. In case you don't see the sign, and I really do not know how in hell you can not, this girl is desperate to land someone, anyone!.
Now, I just going to sit here and I will wait for your reply telling us that it was an "April Fool", in August, joke.

anonymous1960

Jul 7, 2004
miguel said:
Are you for real?. Please tell me that this is a joke and you are just trying to pull our legs?. Ok, the joke is on us. I hope that you made fun of those, including me, that responded to this "great" thread.

First of all, by your nickname, you are telling us that you are 44 so now let me ask you something: ARE YOU FRICKING CRAZY?????. If this is true, this girl did a big number on you (sexually) in order for you to even think about asking what you just asked. If anybody wants me to sign antyhing by force, I would just send that person to hell and move on. In case you don't see the sign, and I really do not know how in hell you can not, this girl is desperate to land someone, anyone!.
Now, I just going to sit here and I will wait for your reply telling us that it was an "April Fool", in August, joke.

Well it is not an April Fool and I am not 44, but I see a pattern here, it looks like I should not be signing it.

Still, why not? In my country, you would not even find a lawyer to draft it, since you cannot sign anything that is not a contract, and judges would want it to get it framed as a laughing piece.

So why is it dangerous here? The way i see it, I would sign something that says "I promise to marry Fulana de Tal" and then I could sign another piece of paper saying "I promise I changed my mind". What's the problem?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
anonymous1960 said:
Still, why not? In my country, you would not even find a lawyer to draft it, since you cannot sign anything that is not a contract, and judges would want it to get it framed as a laughing piece.

So why is it dangerous here? The way i see it, I would sign something that says "I promise to marry Fulana de Tal" and then I could sign another piece of paper saying "I promise I changed my mind". What's the problem?

In your country you know the rules. But this is not your country. You won't know until the day you change your mind whether you are in deep trouble or not. Here you can find a lawyer to draft and notarize it and a judge who will not consider it a "laughing piece".

What is the girl going to do if you don't sign it? Break off the relationship? Not a chance. Unmarried, 6 year old child, and a gringo lover; she's going to keep this going for as long as she can.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't you the person who was concerned about an "impedimiento" preventing you from leaving the DR? If you are, I'll forbear from any opinionated comment, but merely suggest you look at both of these questions alongside each other......I think you will get my drift!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Mrom my Olympic Heights of experience. I'd say

You wuz about to get "screwed. blued and tatooed"!

Lambada has it right:" Se?or Magistrado. this man promised to marry me and now he is abandoning me with this six year old baby!"

While you unravel this mess, your money is going to lawyers and your health is not improving.

This seems like it needs that sophmoric treatment of F F F F

Find 'em
Feel 'em
F*** 'em &
Forget '' em!

HB

Jerry K

Jan 1, 2002
4 F's

But HB, you forgot to ask that all important question, does she work at a resort? That truly would be icing on the cake.....

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Lambada said:
Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't you the person who was concerned about an "impedimiento" preventing you from leaving the DR? If you are, I'll forbear from any opinionated comment, but merely suggest you look at both of these questions alongside each other......I think you will get my drift!

You are right, Lambada. Whether or not he will get your drift is another matter. But then, I can't understand why anyone would even think of signing such a document.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Dear 1960

You have taken advantage of a hundred years of living experience here in the DR. Please feel free to chip in again wheneever you feel like it.

We really are thinking of your welfare, and I, for one wish you all the best...but don't sign anything buddy...

HB :D:D:D:D

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
'Promesa de matrimonio'? That is a good one for Mr. Guzm?n. I've never, EVER, heard any such thing.

Hmmm... what's next? Having Codetel sign a 'promesa de servicio', Edesur a 'promesa de electricidad', the president a 'promesa de no corrupci?n'.

I am purposely ignoring the motivations behind it, just wondering about the mechanics.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
In the old days before the Treaty with the Vatican in 1954, the "compromiso de matrimonio" was actually a civil wedding. Most couples in those days had two marriage ceremonies: one with the Oficial de Estado Civil and another with the priest.

Although only the civil marriage was legally binding, many couples intending to marry also by the church used it as a kind of formal engagement (?compromiso?) which preceded, sometimes by weeks or months, the real marriage. Cohabitation would only take place after the church ceremony.

Perhaps this is what your girlfriend's mother was talking about.