Newborn baby / US Citizenship

ustelephone

Mar 31, 2004
www.ecoislandadventures.com
I am happy to announce that my Dominican fianc? and I had a baby girl 2 weeks ago. The baby was born here in Santo Domingo. I am an American citizen living here in Santo Domingo with my fianc? since January of this year.

At this point we have obtained a "Certificado de Nacimiento Provisional" from the hospital. This document shows my name as the father. My fianc? is telling me that to obtain an official birth certificate I must declare myself the father at the "Oficialia Civil", and that this will result in the child being a Dominican citizen.

Our intention is to obtain US citizenship for our daughter. My question is whether going to this office and declaring her is going to delay her obtaining US citizenship, or if it necessary to do so. I am also wondering if this needs to be a dual citizenship situation and how it works.

Thanks in advance for any advice anyone can offer.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
She is a candidate for dual citizenship. First step is to register her as a Dominican born to a Dominican mother and American father. You have 30 days to do so, or the procedure becomes very tedious.

Regarding her claim to US citizenship, there is lots on the Internet on the matter. You need to research the Child Citizenship Act 2000 that rules her application for dual citizenship.

For an explanation, starters, see http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_web/acs/passports/robirth.htm and http://uscis.gov/graphics/faqsgen.htm#naturalization

ustelephone

Mar 31, 2004
www.ecoislandadventures.com
Dolores said:
She is a candidate for dual citizenship. First step is to register her as a Dominican born to a Dominican mother and American father. You have 30 days to do so, or the procedure becomes very tedious.

Regarding her claim to US citizenship, there is lots on the Internet on the matter. You need to research the Child Citizenship Act 2000 that rules her application for dual citizenship.

For an explanation, starters, see http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_web/acs/passports/robirth.htm and http://uscis.gov/graphics/faqsgen.htm#naturalization

Thanks Dolores. Hope to meet you one of these days.

Cstase

Oct 31, 2004
A reply

I am very happy for you! Congratulations!!! I had a baby born in the Domincan Republic in February, though my husband and I are both Canadian citizens. We obtained a birth certificate in Higuey and we went to the Canadian embassy for a passport. When we arrived back in Canada it was all through Immigration/ Citizenship. We recieved a Citizenship card for Canada but No birth certificate. It was a 6 month process. I hope verything goes well for you!!! Congratulations again!-Crystal.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Congratulations

My son was born here in El Seybo which automatically makes him a Dominican citizen and we took his hospital paperwork to the town hall and they cquired the birth certificate for us. I then went to the US consulate and submitted the paperwork for his American birth certificate. The process was a bit drawn out as they wanted pictures of her during her term and copies of the hospital records along with our marriage license as they have this tendency to want to make sure that the child is in fact an offspring of an American before giving an automatic ticket to the USA (birth certificate). I had no pictures of my wife carring my son so she went to the hospital and had a picture of her up on the table being examined by her doctor as her belly was, and still is, very big and it looked like she was still carring or was in her 7th or 8th month. We also put a pillow under her maternity blouses and had 6 or 7 pictures taken in different surroundings with different people with her wearing different blouses. As I knew nothing about needing this proof I just improvised as I was not going to allow my son to be denied his born right through the whim of a US government worker. With these photos and the hospital records and the marriage license and his Dominican birth certificate we had no trouble getting his US birth certificate and the consulate did the paperwork for his Social Security card at the same time. Hope this helps. Wait time for the US certificate and SSN was about 2 months. ;)

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
We were in same situation...

but we waited two years before we married and went to embassy for my daughters passport. But I would advise that you do it NOW...the sooner the better. I would advise to get a camera now and start taking pictures...pictures with you, fiancee, and baby together. Go to the US embassy and get the initial packet from them. This packet will explain all you will need to gather together. That way, you can start working on it now.

Eventually you will be interviewed by embassy and our interview went like this...

we walked in...my wife, duaghter, and I. We took an oath to tell the truth. The interviewer said, I am going to ask you a few questions and then I will ask your wife a few questions. He started off by asking me when was the first time I had exited the USA and for what reason. He knew the answer because I had provided this in one of their documents and I could see the document in front of him with Mexico typed in at the top. I guess he was checking to see if my answer would jive. I told him. He then asked me for documentation proving that I have resided in the USA for at least five years....I gave him my military record. He then asked to see pictures. I gave him all the pictures we had. He then looked at my passport and asked me why one of the exit dates from DR was not stamped correctly. I provided him with a validation document for the incorrect stamp. He then did some typing on his computer and said...everything is in order. Return in two weeks for the passport. He never asked my wife a question. The interview took about ten minutes.

I was way over prepared. But I would advise that you do the same. It is better to do it right the first time so you don't have to return. It is just such a hassle going up there.

Check out VisaJourney.Com

this is the ultimate visa site for obtaining visa for your wife down the road.

Best of Luck.

jskr1us

Apr 29, 2003
Advice-Do It Now Later is/can be more expensive

If you fail to act now it is possible that you will be required to prove paternity through a DNA test and this is much more expensive and takes time. It is a alot more easily done earlier in the process when the proof required is much less. ;)

jskr1us

Apr 29, 2003
Getting it right

:glasses: Yes go to the embassy or go to the US immigration web sitehttp://uscis.gov/graphics/index.htm to get the papers I am also including the link to the US SDO web site http://www.usemb.gov.do/Consular/consular-e.htm - call ask questions and make sure you get answers. If they give you trouble contact your Congressmen (I would do so any way just to start a case file with him), with the new patriot act things have been made much more difficult and it sometimes helps to have the embassy know that you are determined to get the papers and answers you need. Good Luck! ;)