South Coast Real Estate

icey

Aug 2, 2004
Hi All: :cheeky:

New member, but longtime reader of this site. I've traveled to DR about 15 times in the last 3 years. Always South Coast. Santo Domingo, Boca Chica,Juan Dolio, and San Pedro.

Very interested in buying seaside land or already built house. Just returned from a visit 8/1/04. I wrote down a number of phone numbers posted on "FOR SALE" signs in Juan Dolio. Problem is that I can't find any of these people that speak English. Anyone know of a good website or skilled Realtor on the South Coast in these Beach Areas ? I'm in the business myself (Boston) so, no Bozos please.. :)

I see a lot of discussion on this board about the North Coast. Can anyone comment as to why they believe North is better? Seems like the value may be in the under developed South Coast between Boca Chica and La Romana.
Interested in all opinions. Escott.. you sound like a good source on this.

Regards,

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
icey said:

New member, but longtime reader of this site. I've traveled to DR about 15 times in the last 3 years. Always South Coast. Santo Domingo, Boca Chica,Juan Dolio, and San Pedro.

Very interested in buying seaside land or already built house. Just returned from a visit 8/1/04. I wrote down a number of phone numbers posted on "FOR SALE" signs in Juan Dolio. Problem is that I can't find any of these people that speak English. Anyone know of a good website or skilled Realtor on the South Coast in these Beach Areas ? I'm in the business myself (Boston) so, no Bozos please.. :)

I see a lot of discussion on this board about the North Coast. Can anyone comment as to why they believe North is better? Seems like the value may be in the under developed South Coast between Boca Chica and La Romana.

Regards,

www.super-casas.com

The site does not belong to a particular real estate agency, but it has a listing of properties from all types of agencies all over the DR.

And for why the North Coast appears to be more glamorous than the south coast, I would say the scenery. The south coast is mostly flat and boring, the north coast is mountanous and exciting. Plus, it is slightly more prosperous than the south coast and the north coast has actual towns, compared to the south and eastern coasts which tend to have a few towns and then those willy-nilly tourist developments that eventually would become a town, but not yet.

If you want to buy property with the idea of making cash out of them, then the south coast is a good choice. Eventually the south coast will become as heavy trafficked as the north coast by the tourist crowds. But, if you want a nice expat lifestyle with other expats and a nice blend of mountain, sun and sand, the north coast is the place.

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The South Coast is also more likely to be hit by hurricanes and tropical storms.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Check your PM

icey said:

Regards,
I sent you a PM with some information.

JOHN

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
icey said:

Regards,
I am located on the North Coast primarily for the reason that Hurricanes do not touch down here and not as prone to the major damage you get on the South Coast. I also like this area because it is rich in Expat population which I use as a support network in a foreign land. I also have a lot of friends on the South Coast who both visit the North and I visit when I am near the Capitol. One other thing that I marvel at is how lush it is on the North Coast and how easy it is to grow things. Cut trees for fence posts here, stick them in the ground and soon you have living fence posts which turn into trees.

Value is where people are buying and forcing prices up. I am not a Countrywide experienced guy and not even a complete North Coast guy. I am really only familiar and fairly well informed in the Sosua/Cabarete area. I don't even have a clue about the Puerto Plata area.

I am not sure that the North Coast is better, just that I am comfortable here. I have very interesting breakfast conversations in English with people that are interesting and intelligent every day. I just like it here.

Hope that this helps and if there is anything I can do to help you in your quest all you have to do is ask.

Scott