Copyright Question for the Bosses

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I see at the bottom of the forum there is a copyright notice. The way I understand it, is that anything I post here, may not be taken by others and used for publication in any form. Do I have this right?

Yeah, yeah, I know many of you who are not the bosses will put in their penny's worth, but I have a lot of patience today, so go ahead.

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Not the Boss

Chris said:
I see at the bottom of the forum there is a copyright notice. The way I understand it, is that anything I post here, may not be taken by others and used for publication in any form. Do I have this right?

Yeah, yeah, I know many of you who are not the bosses will put in their penny's worth, but I have a lot of patience today, so go ahead.

What Cannot be Protected by Copyright?
Works in the public domain:
Ideas are in the public domain.
Facts are in the public domain.
Words, names, slogans, or other short phrases also cannot be copyrighted. However, slogans, for example, can be protected by trademark law.
Blank forms.
Government works, which include:
Judicial opinions.
Public ordinances.
Administrative rulings.
Works created by federal government employees as part of their official responsibility.
Works for which copyright wasn't obtained or copyright has expired (extremely rare!).
The Internet IS NOT the public domain. There are both uncopyrighted and copyrighted materials available. Assume a work is copyrighted.

Just some food for thought.
Charlie

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Chris said:

This appears on every page of DR1, not just here.
It's more to protect the content we develop at DR1.

Saying that, if a particular poster has an issue with their posts being used on other sites or other media, then we will follow this up and take the necessary steps to have the publishers of that media remove the content.

Copyright can be a grey area, but we have been successful in the past at having our content removed or properly credited to us.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Hi Chris,

On sites I moderate I do not allow complete or substantial "cut and paste" of any material from other boards or websites, to address this very issue. I insist that a link be inserted which directs those interested to the material therby crediting the author at the same time.

I admittedly do occassionally break this rule myself...BUT I know that I will credit the author and not claim the work as my own.

Gregg

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
My interest is more from the individual poster's perspective, and specifically on the DR1 forum - and doing a lot of internet related work ourselves, I think I grasp what Robert is saying, ie. protection for the stuff developed by and for DR1. But, what about the individual posters? Obviously if I post something on DR1, this is where I want it to be, and I do not want to see anything I do here, used on other sites. Obviously Robert is not going to fly to my rescue if I think my own posts are misused... and I would not ask or want him to.

So, to rephrase for a little clarity, what would be my protection as an individual if I post my 'masterpiece post' on DR1 and someone else uses it?

With the copyright already claimed on the DR1 forums, would it be any good to 'disclaim' or 'claim' the rights to every post I make?

Bear with me, there is reason to these questions.

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Chris said:
My interest is more from the individual poster's perspective, and specifically on the DR1 forum - and doing a lot of internet related work ourselves, I think I grasp what Robert is saying, ie. protection for the stuff developed by and for DR1. But, what about the individual posters? Obviously if I post something on DR1, this is where I want it to be, and I do not want to see anything I do here, used on other sites. Obviously Robert is not going to fly to my rescue if I think my own posts are misused... and I would not ask or want him to.

So, to rephrase for a little clarity, what would be my protection as an individual if I post my 'masterpiece post' on DR1 and someone else uses it?

With the copyright already claimed on the DR1 forums, would it be any good to 'disclaim' or 'claim' the rights to every post I make?

Bear with me, there is reason to these questions.

As you never applied for the copyright yourself, I am not sure that you can use DR1's blanket. I will do some research with a friend of mine who will know. BTW: are we talking about US copyright law?
Charlie

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
I am a frequent victim myself. So far

a) A magazine published one of my photos without so mucha as asking me.
b) A chain of restaurants used one of my photos in their menu without so much as asking me.
c) Many websites have used my material and photos without so much as asking me.

First case I recently found out. We will soon enough have 'the talk'. Second case, they had to get rid of all the printed menus in all 6 restaurants (I suppose there were at least a few hundred flyers) and change the 6 wall-menus too. In the third case(s) some sites have later included their source, some have removed the materials, one has not complied yet.

What I found out in my research:

Registration is not necessary to establish copyright. Copyright is inherent to the creation of the work itself. It is copyright at the very moment you create it. Nobody can use your work without having obtained your permission.

In this case by posting on DR1 you are granting DR1, and DR1 alone, the right to use your post.
From Fabio Guzman:
The right to your photos is independent of any formal copyright registration (Art. 154 of Law 65-00).

Last edited:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Chris said:

As I said above...

...if a particular poster has an issue with their posts being used on other sites or other media, then we will follow this up and take the necessary steps to have the publishers of that media remove the content.

As Pib said...

you are granting DR1, and DR1 alone, the right to use your post.

Bottom line, we will do whatever we can legally to have content produced by us or submitted by our users removed from other media if we feel the copyright has been infringed.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
thanks for the clarification.

Now I know. I guess it would now be fair to go ahead and publically post a warning to another poster on this board.

KrackedKris, you do not have permission to use anything I post here on any other site. You do not have permission to cut and paste to other boards, what I post here. Let this be a very clear statement to you. You are endangering the owner of the other board, and believe me, you do not know who the owner is.

You cut and pasted extensively the words of other posters from this board, into another board. Do you understand what copyright means? It means you may not do this without permission. You do not have my permission, and I doubt if you have the permission of the other posters who you so freely quoted. The other posters who were quoted, will receive e-mail or private mail from me, to alert them to your non-ethical, and possibly illegal behavior.

I will not comment about the unethical and possibly illegal behavior of the hosts or owners of boards that allow this. To KrackedKris, a personal comment, are you so poor of spirit that you cannot think up your own content and have to use content from others?

Robert, this is a public request to ban posters who behave in this unethical manner.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
KrackedKris took a vacation from DR1 yesterday, I beat you to it.

If you would like to take your posts issue further, please email or PM me.

Yes, we do our best to remove anything that is copyrighted and keep the site 100% original content. The only exception are the daily news photos, which we always ask permission to use, tedious, but necessary.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Chris,
KrackedKris similiarly cut and pasted a thread that I created on here onto another board ( most likely the same one you are referring to) several weeks ago. I did not complain to anyone because it really did not bother me but apparently, he makes a habit out of doing this. FYI.

Larry

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Robert said:
KrackedKris took a vacation from DR1 yesterday, I beat you to it.

Cool! You're fast! No further issues from me - thanks Boss!. I simply get real mad when people cannot live their own lives, and then try to find their space in the sun by living on the backs of others...

Larry, I know it is a habit, that is why I spoke up!

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Booo f. hooo! plagiarist are right there with spammers for me. They have their own special hell.

It's not funny when somebody appropriates your work as his own. Even if it is 'unimportant', and if it is 'unimportant' then they can do it themselves, can't they?

Why not just %&#& ASK?