Milk in the DR

golfing1

Aug 4, 2004
Just wondering if any of you have ever consumed the milk served at the AI's in PC...we are taking our baby to the IB Bavaro and she will need to drink milk...are there any health risks with this? Any info would be much appreciated! Thanks

timelessdreams

Apr 5, 2004
Milk in Bavaro

Golfing1,

Trip to the Catalonia Bavaro AI this past Feb...
Oh how I missed my coffee back in the US, could only get it at certain times of the day. I usually like it light, lots of milk to cool the temp. UNOFRTUNATE surprise was that the milk there was had a slight yellow creamy tint and was served HOT. It is a rich milk, somewhat sweet (maybe goat's milk???) and thicker than half and half.

Due to it's consistancy, it will probably well keep your tot's belly full. and is not bad tasting. I'm not sure whether it is homoginized, or has addeed vitamins. Of couse, you can request 1 or 2% milk from a local grocery on the AI site, if you prefer, or perhaps Parmalat. It caused no problems here... Wished I could have brough it home to make a good rice pudding or custard.

Best,
Susie

SafireDream

Jul 5, 2004
Milk at IB Bavaro

The milk at IB Bavaro is fine for consumption. I was there in June and many of the children were drinking it with their morning breakfast. Enjoy your vacation!!

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
If the milk you had was served rich, thick, and hot it was likely straight from the farm without any processing. It was hot because it was freshly boiled and is safe to drink. Not many north americans get to drink the good stuff anymore.

If you like to drink over processed tasteless milk the stuff sold in boxes at the grocery store is safe too.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Down here you can get milk in basically three presentations. Normal refrigerated milk like in north america (Leche Rica), milk boiled at Ultra High Temperature (UHT) (La Vaquita, Listamilk, Parmalat) that can be store outside the fridge until opened and tastes slightly salty, and powered milk (Alaska and can't remember other names) which is what most hotels use. From what I've been told, they often serve it hot because they prepare it the same morning and it has to be prepared with boiling water, so it's easier to just serve it hot. You could probably ask one of the cooks if it would be possible to get some cold milk or you could buy some at the hotel or local grocery store and put it in your fridge or ice bucket.

Sharron

Dec 19, 2002
You will find cold milk served in the buffet in the mornings for cereals. If you require more during the day just ask one of the staff, they are used to guests travelling with babies.

Have fun and don?t forget the sun block and a hat for baby.