k-1 visa process legal help?

SalsaBlondie

Aug 28, 2003
is it helpful to get a lawyer in the DR to help with my fiance's k-1 visa?
i have a US lawyer, but ive heard its helpful for the lawyer to go in person and request a case update. so far, when we call, including my lawyer's office, we have only heard 'sit tight" "soon" and all that. his case was approved in february and we are still waiting for an appointment.. this seems like way more than the time frame we were quoted. plus, case numbers AFTER his seem to be scheduled and his has not been. i did just write to my congressman... is there anything else i can do? i'm afraid they are postponing his case to the benefit of otehr people who are higher up on the food chain (i.e., pay bribes and have connections).
help!

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Be careful with lawyers here....

they will definitely take advantage of your lack of knowledge if they can. There are no regulations here. Some on this board will point you to good attorneys...but that does not mean they will do a good and fair job for you.
Fabio probably has the most to lose if he does not do a good job for you...so he may be a good bet.

My advice is to read, read, read...and talk to everyone you can so that you understand all very clearly. When you talk...they know you know what you are talking about.

You should be able to voice your concerns to your attorney...and he/she should give you a very clear answer...one that you are comfortable with. Don't be timid with your attorney...he works for you...and he is not God. And if he comes off like he is condescending then fire him. Here in USA you can take him to court for not doing his job. Again, you gotta read.

If my attorney told me to sit tight...I would ask him to clarify that until I understand it. What does that mean...how long...and how does he know it is the length of time he says it is. What has he been told by the state department? And if you suspect he is not going to bat for you then you can ask to see his notes from when he spoke to state department...he may not give them to you...but then that would make you suspect....wouldnt it.

An attorney works like this....if he can make a thousand dollars off you and spend one hour doing it then that is fine by him.more later....

SalsaBlondie

Aug 28, 2003
thanks for your advice. my lawyer tried to call the consulate (US lawyer) and it's the CONSULAR OFFICE people telling them to WAIT. it's been approved here in the US, so the only thing left is to get his appointment in the santo domingo consulate. also my boyfriend called and they say the same thing.
my thought was getting a lawyer to go in person to the consulate and ask might work. if it takes some greasing the wheels and doesnt cost and arm and a leg, then who am i to complain? that's the way things are done and i dont want to end up last in line. my boyfriend had a lawyer tell him he would charge 1000 pesos (20 bucks) to go there and ask in person. just wanted to know if it might help .. of course trusting the lawyer is another thing entirely ;-)

Snuffy said:
they will definitely take advantage of your lack of knowledge if they can. There are no regulations here. Some on this board will point you to good attorneys...but that does not mean they will do a good and fair job for you.
Fabio probably has the most to lose if he does not do a good job for you...so he may be a good bet.

My advice is to read, read, read...and talk to everyone you can so that you understand all very clearly. When you talk...they know you know what you are talking about.

You should be able to voice your concerns to your attorney...and he/she should give you a very clear answer...one that you are comfortable with. Don't be timid with your attorney...he works for you...and he is not God. And if he comes off like he is condescending then fire him. Here in USA you can take him to court for not doing his job. Again, you gotta read.

If my attorney told me to sit tight...I would ask him to clarify that until I understand it. What does that mean...how long...and how does he know it is the length of time he says it is. What has he been told by the state department? And if you suspect he is not going to bat for you then you can ask to see his notes from when he spoke to state department...he may not give them to you...but then that would make you suspect....wouldnt it.

An attorney works like this....if he can make a thousand dollars off you and spend one hour doing it then that is fine by him.more later....