First time windsurfing visitor to Cabarete

Status
Not open for further replies.

sambo

Aug 5, 2004
Hi,

My family and I are booked for a one week vacation in Cabarete starting next Monday. After reading various postings concerning disturbances outside Cabarete, various car related incidents, instability due to recent elections and lack of fuel for public transport (let alone possible changes in weather this weekend !) I was wondering just how safe things are there. As a globe trotting avid windsurfer I am very used to developing countries (Egypt, Cape Verde, South Africa etc) but I usually don't have my wife and young kids with me. This makes one somewhat more risk averse and I am on the verge of cancelling.

Then again things like this often sound worse than they really are, so would be interested in feedback from anybody on the ground in Cabarete (like how safe/easy is it to use a non pre booked taxi from the airport?)

Thanks in advance.

sambo

gjsuk

Apr 7, 2003
there is nothing to worry about and you will have no problems. Do NOT cancel.
The events you have read about will have no impact on your trip.
Taxis at POP (presumably) are quite OK.
Have a blast and check out www.windsofcabarete.com for the sailing info.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
You will have no problems. Taxis from POP have pre-published fares and the fare board is usually out in the open to look at. These taxis are safe to take - despite the way we all drive in the Dominican Republic. There is fuel now for public transportation (no propane for those cabs that run on propane) but we are getting gas regularly. Cabarete is a safe and enjoyable area for a young family - depending how young your kids are, the beach is safe. We spend a lot of time on the beach with our 3-year old granddaughter.

Come on down. Usually tourists or visitors are not affected by any action that is taking place now. It is a stressful period however for us who live here.

Enjoy Cabarete, besides Cape Town, it is just about one of my favorite places in the world. Where did you windsurf in South Africa?

sambo

Aug 5, 2004
Reassured

gjsuk said:

Thanks for the reply and reassurance, will take your advice and not cancel.

sambo

Aug 5, 2004
Reassured

Chris said:
You will have no problems. Taxis from POP have pre-published fares and the fare board is usually out in the open to look at. These taxis are safe to take - despite the way we all drive in the Dominican Republic. There is fuel now for public transportation (no propane for those cabs that run on propane) but we are getting gas regularly. Cabarete is a safe and enjoyable area for a young family - depending how young your kids are, the beach is safe. We spend a lot of time on the beach with our 3-year old granddaughter.

Come on down. Usually tourists or visitors are not affected by any action that is taking place now. It is a stressful period however for us who live here.

Enjoy Cabarete, besides Cape Town, it is just about one of my favorite places in the world. Where did you windsurf in South Africa?

Thank you so nuch for the reply. Am reassured and will not cancel.

I windsurfed in both Capetown (cold water) and Durban (warm water). Great places great people. Only stayed for a week though but spent most of it on the water. Did the hiho wsurfing race in the BVI in June of this year- 70 of us raced between 7 islands and covered over 140 km -unbelievable experience. There are so many beautiful places in the world with great people.

sambo

Aug 5, 2004
Great wind website

gjsuk said:

Have just checked out the site you mentioned which is really, really excellent. Wind analysis is superb. Thanks again.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
sambo said:
Thank you so nuch for the reply. Am reassured and will not cancel.

I windsurfed in both Capetown (cold water) and Durban (warm water). Great places great people. Only stayed for a week though but spent most of it on the water. Did the hiho wsurfing race in the BVI in June of this year- 70 of us raced between 7 islands and covered over 140 km -unbelievable experience. There are so many beautiful places in the world with great people.

Cape Town is my home town and Durban is where we used to spend family vacations when I was growing up. Like you say, great places, great people, and I'll add, great food. The BVI is where we go sailing, real boats! :classic:

Status
Not open for further replies.