XM Satellite Radio in the DR???

rmerritt

Aug 5, 2004
Can anybody tell me if XM Satellite Radio will work in the DR? I'm moving down next week and want to know if it's worth bringing along.....

Jerry K

Jan 1, 2002
No cigar

From personal experience it won't work on the north coast, even bought the fringe antenna they sell. Like Robert said, we're not in the footprint. The bird is over southern Mexico beamed north. No problem in Jamaica and central Cuba but we're too far east.
The Puerto Ricans have been singing the blues since in launched but no spot beam for them either.

pasha

Sep 4, 2003
How about XM's competitor....

Sirius Radio? Their satellite coverage is very different I believe.

Best, P

jerryme

Feb 1, 2004
I used Sirius in Cabarete. Not a car mounted antenna, the home unit. Had to point it just right but it works great.

Jan 5, 2006
Sirius worked just fine for me. Listened all the way from La Vega to Puerto Plata with no problems and the antenna just laying on the dashboard.

beachfront

Mar 8, 2006
i don't doubt you. and i hope its correct , however,
i went to my local best buy to inquire. they said satallite radio is for the lower 48 states and goes 500 miles off the usa shore. are you getting consistant signal. i hope so i really want to get one for my place in cabarrete

jerryme

Feb 1, 2004
Sirius works in Cabarete with the little square antenna that come with the starmate model ( I am sure all the unit antennas work.) By the way the Sirius satellite is over Mexico thats why it works as far as St. martin.

The Dominicans love hearing Howard Stern.

gmiller261

Dec 29, 2002
Strange

My Sirius also.

North coast. Cloudy/rainy almost perfect continuous reception.

Sunny, breaks up a lot.

thedrguy

Jan 25, 2006
if you're in santo domingo, and you start drving down independencia toward the hilton from abraham lincoln, you will see a building that has a sirius sign on it. The bldg will be on the right.

Anyone seen this?

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
thedrguy said:
if you're in santo domingo, and you start drving down independencia toward the hilton from abraham lincoln, you will see a building that has a sirius sign on it. The bldg will be on the right.

Anyone seen this?

That place is just after the Vesuvio Restaurant. I don't think it has anything to do with Sirius radio. It's some kind of training facility.

mikeo1313

Nov 22, 2005
I did notice someone mention success with a JVC sirius reciever.
I wonder if the model is the kt-sr2000 and if anyone that uses a home model has been able to get decent reception without a special extra antenna?

I would also like to know if anyone has had success with the portable MP3 Sirius reciever in DR? (i.e. stiletto 100, s50 or something similar)

{since I can only assume the portable units have a lower power reciever, I understand I may be mistaken.}