Medical Insurance

Rosemary

*** Sin Bin ***
Apr 13, 2004
Hi Everyone ! Planning a trip to D.R. for 3 months this time around, and was wondering about med insurance coverage ! Can any one tell me the best route to take on this and how expensive it may be ! Is it best to go through a Travel agent or an insurance agency ! Many Thanks !

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
What about your regular insurance coverage? I've been living here for 18 years and am still covered by the insurance I had in US. I pay bills and send them to company for reimbursement.

Rosemary

*** Sin Bin ***
Apr 13, 2004
Insurance

Ken said:
What about your regular insurance coverage? I've been living here for 18 years and am still covered by the insurance I had in US. I pay bills and send them to company for reimbursement.
Thanks Ken ! will get in touch with them ! just thought you could get insurance while in the D.R.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Insurance Coverage

Be careful to confirm that your private insurance from the U.S covers you outside the country. Medicare and Blue Cross plans will not. Also you want to be sure to have medical evacuation coverage. This will get you back to a U.S. hospital in case you need care which is either not available here or is inadequate. If these are not covered by your present insurance you can get a travel policy through most travel agents. They are usually fairly reasonable in price. Be careful about pre-existing conditions though.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
HOWMAR said:
Be careful to confirm that your private insurance from the U.S covers you outside the country. Medicare and Blue Cross plans will not.

HOWMAR, if you had left it with your first sentence, I wouldn't have had to respond. It's true that Medicare doesn't cover offshore medical service, but I have been covered by Blue Cross Blue Shield during the 18 years that I have lived here. If you have private insurance, no matter who the carrier is, check with them to see if the plan you have includes being outside of the country. Do not rely on blanket statements from others.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Ken said:
HOWMAR, if you had left it with your first sentence, I wouldn't have had to respond. It's true that Medicare doesn't cover offshore medical service, but I have been covered by Blue Cross Blue Shield during the 18 years that I have lived here. If you have private insurance, no matter who the carrier is, check with them to see if the plan you have includes being outside of the country. Do not rely on blanket statements from others.
Ken you're right. I should have said that my NJ Blue Cross contract will not cover me outside the U.S. Also, I don't want to depend on any private insurance to negotiate with Caribe Air about an air ambulance while I am gorked out in a Dominican Clinic.

Rosemary

*** Sin Bin ***
Apr 13, 2004
HOWMAR said:
Be careful to confirm that your private insurance from the U.S covers you outside the country. Medicare and Blue Cross plans will not. Also you want to be sure to have medical evacuation coverage. This will get you back to a U.S. hospital in case you need care which is either not available here or is inadequate. If these are not covered by your present insurance you can get a travel policy through most travel agents. They are usually fairly reasonable in price. Be careful about pre-existing conditions though.
Thank you Howmar ! Really appreciate your guide lines !