Questions on Divorce

help411

Aug 5, 2004
Someone I know wants to get a divorce in Santo Domingo and wanted to know if this price sounds right.

She is a US citizen but has been studying in Santo Domingo for almost two years. Her husband abandoned her and thier baby.

She went to a lawyer and they wanted $400 dollars for paper work for the divorce so she can take it her husband to sign in the US. Hasn't told her lawyer fees yet though.

He also told her that to get a restraining order on him and to make sure he doesn't take baby out of the country will be $370 dollars.

Does this sound right? She's all alone over there and doesn't want to be taken advantage of. Especially right now.

If anyone knows or has gotten a divorce from Santo Domingo that can tell me if these prices are correct, especially the $370 for restraining order form and the other one so he can't take baby. Just let me know. We're kind of pressed for time because she's afraid he might try something and would like to get restraining order soon.

Thanks.

May

Jan 27, 2004
I was quoted $1200 for a divorce.. all costs included. I guess in the scheme of things, you have a very low price.. Make sure there are no hidden fees later on.. And now I have to find out if I have an inflated price. I am due to send half of the money this Monday, so if anyone can let me know if I have an inflated price. Thanks

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Both those sound high

But you should consult with Favio

Divorce in the Dominican Republic is very inexpensive, but the lawyers need to buy fuel for their Beemers and Mercedes...Beware..

It is a relatively easy process. I will ask my daughter how much she paid for her's..

HB

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
If it's a mutual consent divorce to be done according to the standard procedure (i.e., not a quick divorce), you should expect to pay between $500 and $750 total, including all fees and expenses and English-speaking attorneys. Cheaper prices may be found with smaller firms and non bilingual attorneys.

What I don't understand is why you need a restraining order. In a mutual consent divorce, mandatory provisions regarding child custody, visitation rights, separation of assets, etc. must be included in the agreement between the spouses submitted to the Court (?Acta de Estipulaciones?).

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
My daughter paid

RD$10,000. It was done by a friend of hers. She says that RD$15,000 is probably more like it. Of course she speaks Spanish.

GV

salsaismyworld

Jul 7, 2004
If that is the price of a quick divorce, then why did your firm quote me 1600 Dollars?

Fabio J. Guzman said:
If it's a mutual consent divorce to be done according to the standard procedure (i.e., not a quick divorce), you should expect to pay between $500 and $750 total, including all fees and expenses and English-speaking attorneys. Cheaper prices may be found with smaller firms and non bilingual attorneys.

What I don't understand is why you need a restraining order. In a mutual consent divorce, mandatory provisions regarding child custody, visitation rights, separation of assets, etc. must be included in the agreement between the spouses submitted to the Court (?Acta de Estipulaciones?).

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
salsaismyworld said:
If that is the price of a quick divorce, then why did your firm quote me 1600 Dollars?

Read the post again.

"If it's a mutual consent divorce to be done according to the standard procedure (i.e., not a quick divorce)"

salsaismyworld

Jul 7, 2004
I stand corrected!

Thanks for the correction....

Robert said:
Read the post again.

"If it's a mutual consent divorce to be done according to the standard procedure (i.e., not a quick divorce)"

LaPinea

Mar 18, 2004
To Salsaismyworld...

Probably not the best venue to vent your gripes about his prices either...

KenoshaChris

Jan 4, 2002
Get it in Writing

A strong recommendation from a guy that has practiced law for well over 20 years is to get any retainer agreement in writing.

LaPinea

Mar 18, 2004
What happens to property and debt in the US? How is that worked out in the divorce settlement?