Dozens of gift shops in Sosua to be removed

Coastal

Jul 14, 2003
I just read this article that says the gift shops in the beach entrance area of Sosua beach, El Batey side, will in fact be removed.

http://www.diariolibre.com/(f2qel1jqalxn1k55aqygn255)/aspx/article.aspx?id=17143

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
Jimmydr said:
Thats great news, now I can walk to the beach and not be bothered anymore.

Keep your fingers crossed that you will be able to "walk" to the beach!!!! Perhaps the trek to the may get a bit longer!!!

Joe

gringo in dr

May 29, 2003
Jimmydr said:
I never had a problem cutting across hotel properties before. Why now?

Because while they can't keep you off the beach, they can legally stop you from entering their private property to get to the beach. Of course they will sell you a day pass for 2,000 - 3,000.

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Re Jimmy
Most people will not do that. So if that beach entrance is closed, most of the businesses both on the beach and uptown will be out of business and will have to close down. The whole Sosua like you know and love it will be gone.
If they don't close that entrance, (wich I always thougt was a public road) there would not be any danger.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Public entrance

CyaBye3015 said:
Keep your fingers crossed that you will be able to "walk" to the beach!!!! Perhaps the trek to the may get a bit longer!!!

Joe
There is no logical reason to think that they would block access to the beach from the East side. Why would they?
Do they not already have a multitude of new shops built on the North side?
Would any businessman in his right mind want to stop the public from accessing what amounts to his "outdoor mall"?
What do you think they are going to do with the land regained after expropriating the casetas going down the road, if not build other retail outlets of their own?
Would they want to turn Sosua into a ghost town, after they themselves building a multi-million dollar complex here?
Don't you think that they are tired of listening to their guests complain about the aggressive vendors on the way down to the beach?
Doesn't it make sense that they would build nice little shops like on the opposite side of the street, where tourists would be enticed to go in and shop, rather than scared that they'll be mauled and almost held hostage unless they buy something?

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
re Rocky
I realy hope you are right, nothing is better than that. They could have some reasons thoug, expanding the resort, and make the beach more privat for their guests, and turn the whole place to be a new Playa Dorada.
But i don't know whats going to happen, and sincerly hope that you are right.

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Rocky said:
Doesn't it make sense that they would build nice little shops like on the opposite side of the street, where tourists would be enticed to go in and shop, rather than scared that they'll be mauled and almost held hostage unless they buy something?

Sure, makes sense to me. On the other hand, I didn't realize some tourists are afraid of the vendors, I have never seen them getting out of hand, just pushy of course. I'm sure you've seen it all though. Definitely not a good thing for tourists to feel unsafe while shopping.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
As Rocky has indicated, there is a long line of new shops along the side of the road leading down to the beach--from the Voodoo Lounge to the beach parking lot. The design of the shops matches that of the hotel. These shops are not cheap to rent. It makes no sense to think they are going to try to attract renters to these shops, paying the rent they are asking, then close the road so that there are no customers.