24/7 Electrical Service in Condo and Apartment Buildings

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Which condo and apartment complexes are presently providing electrical service 24/7 besides El Neptuno where I live?

Which used to provide service 24/7 but have stopped doing so because of budgetary and fuel supply concerns?

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
And a follow-up Question...

If the electric is part of your maintence fee how often is this number adjusted? In addition, if you have always been provided with this service, how would it be possible for the management board to stop it?(ie run out of money?)

JOHN

gringo in dr

May 29, 2003
The generators were never designed to be used almost constantly. So many places have decided to cut back on usage. If they don't do this everyone will have to chip in for a new one when the old one self destructs. PUUMC generator resently died. That was a $100,000 USD unit.

The other option would be to get 2 or 3 gensets. That way you can rotate them 12 or 8 hour shifts.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
johne, money is one concern. I don't think any manager making a budget for 2004 anticipated running the generator 18 hours a day using fuel that cost about twice per gallon what it did when the budget for the year was prepared.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
So in your case

Ken said:
johne, money is one concern. I don't think any manager making a budget for 2004 anticipated running the generator 18 hours a day using fuel that cost about twice per gallon what it did when the budget for the year was prepared.

are you having 24/7 in your complex? Surely I understand your point about the budget-but how do you accomodate for this spike if you want to continue proviiding the service of 24/7 at El Neptuno?

JOHN

Jun 28, 2004
gringo in dr

Prime power generators are designed to run constantly. There is a job function looking after them though. Expect 50,000 hrs run time from a good one. Also expect lots of maintenance and parts replacements.

I dont understand the logic of having 2 or 3?

gringo in dr

May 29, 2003
221 said:
Prime power generators are designed to run constantly. There is a job function looking after them though. Expect 50,000 hrs run time from a good one. Also expect lots of maintenance and parts replacements.

I dont understand the logic of having 2 or 3?

The logic of having 3 is them work different "shifts". You use an automatic switch to change generators. Have each one work for 8 hours per day. That way you can have continuous 24 power covered by 3 generators that are relatively cheap.

Many of the continuous generators here have failed due to "continous" use. In my opinion, it is better to have 3 diesels. That way you don't have all your eggs in one basket. You can also perform maintenence with no down time.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
gringo in dr said:
The generators were never designed to be used almost constantly. So many places have decided to cut back on usage. If they don't do this everyone will have to chip in for a new one when the old one self destructs. PUUMC generator resently died. That was a $100,000 USD unit.

The other option would be to get 2 or 3 gensets. That way you can rotate them 12 or 8 hour shifts.
That must be quite the generator for 100k US dollars but I guess you would need quite the generator for a college.

Generators are made and designed to be worked real hard. Harder you work them the better off they are. Generators are mostly just deisel engines and a few hundred thousand miles on most heavy duty deisel engines in tractors that pull trailers are nothing. They go for a million miles plus.

Scott

Jun 28, 2004
gringo in dr

The logic of having 3 is them work different "shifts". You use an automatic switch to change generators. Have each one work for 8 hours per day. That way you can have continuous 24 power covered by 3 generators that are relatively cheap.

Many of the continuous generators here have failed due to "continous" use. In my opinion, it is better to have 3 diesels. That way you don't have all your eggs in one basket. You can also perform maintenence with no down time.

a "real" generator will run with minimum downtime for maintenance. an experienced person will know whats wrong and when to replace parts.

the accounting will show that's cheaper than owning 2 "real" generators ....... but it is expensive to make electricity no matter how its done

if $$$$ isnt an issue ...............buy 4 semicheap machines

Jun 28, 2004
Huh?

That must be quite the generator for 100k US dollars but I guess you would need quite the generator for a college.

Generators are made and designed to be worked real hard. Harder you work them the better off they are. Generators are mostly just deisel engines and a few hundred thousand miles on most heavy duty deisel engines in tractors that pull trailers are nothing. They go for a million miles plus.

i hope u know more about real estate than u know about this subject!!!!!

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
221 said:

i hope u know more about real estate than u know about this subject!!!!!
Who cares what you hope?

gringo in dr

May 29, 2003
Escott I only know the price of the University's generator because it was in the newspaper. They were complaining that because of the power outages they had to replace it since it died.

I know diesel engines run for hundreds of thousands of miles, even into the millions of miles, but they are not run for 20 - 22 hours per day. Plus I'm sure the diesel fuel here is not the same quality as in the states.

KenoshaChris

Jan 4, 2002
I'll be the First

I'll be the first one to answer your question Scott. Its a simple four letter word. None. At Tradewinds we're running the gen about 20 hours or more a day. Can you imagine what would happen to those government bastards if they were up here? Its incredible that the population stands for this crap.

KenoshaChris

Jan 4, 2002
Ooops, I Forgot

Yeah, I have 24/7 up here in Kenosha. That's why I'm sitting things out up here for awhile. Maybe see you guys over Labor Day.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
gringo in dr said:
Escott I only know the price of the University's generator because it was in the newspaper. They were complaining that because of the power outages they had to replace it since it died.

I know diesel engines run for hundreds of thousands of miles, even into the millions of miles, but they are not run for 20 - 22 hours per day. Plus I'm sure the diesel fuel here is not the same quality as in the states.
I have 2 40kw Wilson Generators. I have been advised to run them hard at a min of 50% and that these Perkin Diesels like to be working as much as possible.

I don't know much about the Diesel fuel but I buy all my gas from Coastal and NEVER had a problem. If there is good fuel to be had I have faith in Greg that I will get it from him.

These rigs are often driven for 20 hours and even when stopped have the engines running. Ask any of the drivers how they dope up the log books in case they get stopped. I have had tractor trailers unloading almost all day with them running and no second thoughts.

But what the hell do I know:) I can't even get the Real Estate right!

LOL

Regards,
Scott

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Anybody??????

Is there anybody interested in answering Ken's O.P. question???

JOHN

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Where is that?

ustelephone said:
i sent him a pm. We never loose light where i live.
Where do you live?

JOHN

P.S. Is there anyone else that has 24/7?

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Ken said:
Which condo and apartment complexes are presently providing electrical service 24/7 besides El Neptuno where I live?

Which used to provide service 24/7 but have stopped doing so because of budgetary and fuel supply concerns?

At Condos, I've reduced to 17:00hrs to 08:00hrs and 12:00hrs to 01:30hrs. Operating costs ie.fuel and maintenace are the big factor. June cost me overall nearly 75,000.00 RD. up from a 15/20K average. Everybody is very understanding, even my street "Customers" who saw their monthly planta bill increase by 50%. A couple of time came close to running out of fuel but Coastal Greg and allways come through.