Well, back from our trip *WARNING - LONG POST*

Status
Not open for further replies.

CPYou

Jun 28, 2003
www.vehicleraffle.com
Well, we are back in the states now and I can't wait to get back. Trip started as you would expect, getting taken here and there for a few dollars.

*BAD STUFF*
The day we arrived we had Don Miller (someone had suggested him) pick us up at the airport and take us to Casa Linda. So far so good. We ate and asked if he could run my father and sun to the store to pick up some odds and ends we needed to stock the fridge. He proceeds to take my father from Casa Linda (Sosua) all the way to PoP telling him that was the only good market around, charging $30 for the trip. This guy runs a website ( roomspop.com or http://www.geocities.com/poprentroom/) that people need to be aware of. Stay far away from this person at all costs.

The next fun experience we had was with our maid. We were paying her 7k for the month even though we were to only be in town for 3 weeks. Our 1st mistake was inviting her to eat our meals with us. The 2nd mistake we made was letting her swim in the pool. Yeah yeah, I know, Chester4 and Escott both already set me straight on this. She then tells the people who hired her for us that she needs MORE MONEY because we are MAKING her eat our meals with us and swim in the pool. I could not believe what I was hearing. She was told no.

A few days later she starts bringing one of her two children to work with her in the morning... Feeding that child breakfast then lunch, then taking that child home and bringing the other for dinner. So now we are feeding her, her two kids, and he brother who comes to pick her up. We knew we had to put a stop to this and told her no more bringing the kids. This was a Saturday. On Monday... guess what, kids again. We made it VERY clear to her this time that this was not a daycare and that no more kids. She went home at lunch, and never came back. The person that hired her called her and she gave some crappy story about how she thought we lost faith in her. Bah... another lesson learned, and another Dominican out of work.

*GOOD STUFF*
I must say, the ribs at Rocky?s are to DIE for. I can taste them even now as I type this and drool. The menu at La Roca was very tasty as well and you can't beat the prices. The two brothers that run Jungle Juice on Sosua beach are some of the coolest guys you ever want to meet and have a great little spot. Met some GREAT people there... Chester4, an Aussie or 2, The Aussie's girlfriend who I call the energizer Dominican cause she keeps going and going and going...Dean Brown and Anabela from Century 21 were also a big help. Met Escott and Dawnwill and a few others as well.

The country does have its problems (power for one) but for the most part is a beautiful country with VERY friendly people. The beaches are incredible, and the sunsets are even better. Plan on heading back in the next 30 days or so, depending on how long it takes to wrap up some loose ends here in the states. All in all, it was an incredible trip and we are extremely glad that we got to experience a little slice of the heaven that most of you live in on a daily basis already.

See you VERY soon!
CPYou

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Glad you had fun, and yes, Rocky has the best ribs! You live and learn about the maid.

Bacalao

*** Sin Bin ***
Jun 5, 2003
Cruel and Evil Labor Practices are no joke to me:Slavery is not Dead in DR

I want to ask you a question? You paid this girl how much to be your maid? Did you say seven thousand pesos for a month? What is that like 120 for the month you said and then you cry property when she eats your food? That comes to like three dollars a day you paid her. Let me summarize this,You pay her slave wages, and cannot even let her feed her child and you act like she was wrong. Do you know what it is like to be hungry and poor?That's horrible, and inhumane and sad. I bet you made her work all day and night, you could not give twenty buck to buy some food for herself but you could go to Rockys for Ribs ? Can I ask you, how many hours did require from the maid during the day? I love it, you go to some else's country treat them like slaves and act like they were in the wrong when all they want is a food for a child. Please Can you give me her name and phone number because I want to post here, and I also want to post how much you paid her and how you treated her as an employee while she was in your services.

Bacalao

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Hey Bacalao,

What's the matter - you don't like it when someone tells it like it is about your so called business?

This guy is a spammer who has had multiple posts deleted on Tim Hall's POPReport board. Usually he posts a question and then answer's it using a sock puppet but on that board the IP shows so everyone knows what he really is.

He even has a post on this board that links him to the guy who was slammed in the OP's posting so it's not like he is a disinterested party who is really offended by anything he read.

www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?p=210072#post210072

Sour grapes because he did not like it when the Sosua to Puerto Plata grocery run was criticized. Had to drive right past Supermercado Playero to do that one.

Sorry Bacalao - that's how I see it.

Gregg

Bacalao

*** Sin Bin ***
Jun 5, 2003
Bacalao

Greg,
I'll admit to at time being overtly zealous in my posting but I never say anything derogatory about other people's business and those are different issues that do not apply here. Since when is everybody an angel or so sanctimonious that they beyond criticism. Does the DR hot one hundered have links from sites promoting prositution or does it? The last time I checked the prositution sites were top ten on the list, So are you guilty from this association ? Please do not tell me how rightous you are when your are cashing money from the same pimps who exploiting these same young girls. Does that make you a pimp by proxy? For you to assume that we guilty just because of this is ludicrous. You are supposed to be object here, but you are assuming that I guilty of because inappropriate actions on a web site that have nothing to do with this issue but the truth is, since my so called businesses has being in operation we have had plenty of satisfied customers and been highly recommened. and CP herself was recommend to us from someone who was obvious satisfied with our services? I have to admit that I am not object and I that have a personal beef with this one post but the truth is this: if this women is so cheap that she would not feed a poor maid food, and you expect me to believe her? I have to think that her accusations against Mr. Miller are unfounded. How could he charge someone thirty dollars just for going to the supermarket, didnt they ask for a price and if they did not like the price why did they pay? I know there is more to this story and maybe all the facts are not in because something is not kosher . Here is what I do know and that is Donny is sixty years old, so what did he do threaten them to pay?I would think prices on Taxi services would be negotiable, and if did not like the price why pay? Greg , I think that you are wrong for assuming that we are guilty here, and I'll tell you what I rather defend my friend for overcharging this women than support an elitist hypocrite who goes to a poor country and cries about feeding poor Dominican children. I also know for a fact that there is more to this story than what CJ is saying and tommorrow it will all get exposed . CJ has opened a can of worms.

Bacalao

Last edited:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
On 7000 pesos for 3 weeks work, the maid could afford to feed her children, Bacalao. You & I both know it is a LOT more than many maids get. I think what the OP was complaining about was not being asked. This is a cultural thing, the OP would expect to be asked, the maid may not expect to ask. But she can learn.
This post is from someone who pays her maid way over the odds, is happy to do so & is ALWAYS asked first if an item can be "borrowed", (but she has been with me 10 years).

Bacalao

*** Sin Bin ***
Jun 5, 2003
Lambada said:
On 7000 pesos for 3 weeks work, the maid could afford to feed her children, Bacalao. You & I both know it is a LOT more than many maids get. I think what the OP was complaining about was not being asked. This is a cultural thing, the OP would expect to be asked, the maid may not expect to ask. But she can learn.
This post is from someone who pays her maid way over the odds, is happy to do so & is ALWAYS asked first if an item can be "borrowed", (but she has been with me 10 years).

Please explain to me why this a cultural thing when you pay someone less than Ten dollars a day and cry about giving them food? It not a cultural thing. it is exploitative and sad. Tell me how it is a cultural thing? What culture the slave culture?

Bacalao

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Wonderful. I'm a resident, not a tourist, have been for 12 years. Go to thread in Living - How much do you pay your maid? You will see that many of us were told we overpay. We know. But the point is the OP was paying more than those of us who overpay do.
Your strange attempts to elicit guilt? anger? or what? will not work, amigo. You do not compare salaries here to another country, you analyse them in the context of the DR.

Bacalao

*** Sin Bin ***
Jun 5, 2003
Lambada said:
Wonderful. I'm a resident, not a tourist, have been for 12 years. Go to thread in Living - How much do you pay your maid? You will see that many of us were told we overpay. We know. But the point is the OP was paying more than those of us who overpay do.
Your strange attempts to elicit guilt? anger? or what? will not work, amigo. You do not compare salaries here to another country, you analyse them in the context of the DR.

Just because you are resident does not means you know more about the Dominican Republic than me or are just assuming this because you are asumming that I do not. reside in the DR. How do you not know my family has a big house in San Franscio de Marcoris? Let me say this, I knew more about Dominican culture than you do now, even before I step foot on the Island and Nice elitist attitude there really showing compassion there ."I am not a tourist I am a resident" big deal,really I am not impressed so, my interpretation is of what you said is, Just because I am poor and I cannot afford to live in the Caribbean my opinion should be dismissed as irrelevant? Really because that is what that statement implys, Is that what you think about you maid that just because she's poor you can pay her like a slave and make her beg for food ? So now you are saying because I do not live there I do not know about these things and that in the context of things its ok to pay people slave wages because its a cultural thing, and I ve never had a maid in my life and god knows if I did I would make sure that she was feed and her whole family like you said you can feed a lot people with seven thousand pesos .. ..I do not analyse this in the context of the Dominican Republic but the context of a human being being cheap and exploitive dose not transcend boarders and the fact that you would take the time to defend all this really disgusts me.

Bacalao

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Hey bacalao,

Bacalao said:
...Does the DR hot one hundered have links from sites promoting prositution or does it? The last time I checked the prositution sites were top ten on the list, So are you guilty from this association ? Please do not tell me how rightous you are when your are cashing money from the same pimps who exploiting these same young girls. Does that make you a pimp by proxy? For you to assume that we guilty just because of this is ludicrous. You are supposed to be object here, but you are assuming that I guilty of because inappropriate actions on a web site that have nothing to do with this issue...

Neither the OP or I mentioned prostitution - why are you so eager to defend yourself? I have been accused of many things in life but "pimp by proxy" - that's a new one. Is that kind of like thinking about eating an ice cream cone and getting the "ice cream headache" without the enjoyment that usually accompanies it?

"Methinks thou dost protest too much."

As far as the rest of your ramblings; I will leave them to the other posters and lurkers to decide whose position actually has merit.

Five minutes spent debating a spammer is five minutes too many.

Gregg

P.S. - Now where do I find that ignore button again?

Last edited:
Hmmm

A Ralph Nabor type, defender of the labor force! An elongated dissertation that in part makes no sense. Lingual diarhea at most.
One must wonder if intelligence will ever be legislated?

Gregg, when did you go into the oldest profession on earth? :bunny:

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Bacalao said:
Just because you are resident does not means you know more about the Dominican Republic than me or are just assuming this because you are asumming that I do not. reside in the DR. How do you not know my family has a big house in San Franscio de Marcoris? Let me say this, I knew more about Dominican culture than you do now, even before I step foot on the Island and Nice elitist attitude there really showing compassion there ."I am not a tourist I am a resident" big deal,really I am not impressed so, my interpretation is of what you said is, Just because I am poor and I cannot afford to live in the Caribbean my opinion should be dismissed as irrelevant? Really because that is what that statement implys, Is that what you think about you maid that just because she's poor you can pay her like a slave and make her beg for food ? So now you are saying because I do not live there I do not know about these things and that in the context of things its ok to pay people slave wages because its a cultural thing, and I ve never had a maid in my life and god knows if I did I would make sure that she was feed and her whole family like you said you can feed a lot people with seven thousand pesos .. ..I do not analyse this in the context of the Dominican Republic but the context of a human being being cheap and exploitive dose not transcend boarders and the fact that you would take the time to defend all this really disgusts me.

Bacalao
You are a trip. This guy paid 7000 pesos for 3 weeks when Dominicans pay 2500 pesos for a whole month and probably work them harder. I do have a question for you since you know so much about the DR. Do Dominicans like when they are on a beach and leave their garbage or in a car and toss a ton of crap out the window do the same in their homes? Do they just throw all the crap on the floor and expect their maids to clean up after them?

Sheesh you tossed in Prostitution, pimps and I was wondering if you can please toss around drugs and lets see, maybe the visitor should bail out the Dominican Economy while he was down for 3 weeks also.

Thats the ticket, I think he should have bailed out the economy when he was down. Maybe then I would have electric for more than 2 hours a day! Hell if he paid the maid what she deserved she would have paid that much in taxes to the government to bail out the economy and the electric grid.

I digress... Carry on.

Escottisterical

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Bacalao said:

Bacalao

As my Granny always used to say... "You need to live it to talk about it".

Next....

Chester4

*** Sin Bin ***
Feb 12, 2004
Can I come and work for you CPYou!!?

Oh my God CPYou .... what have you started here ????

See you soon !

Chester4 :rambo:

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
I think I will fly down and be a maid for 7,000 pesos per month. Only thing is that I only come by at dinnertime and you have to serve a nice surf and turf with a nice bottle of vino. Oh, and then a quick swim in the pool and then I will go...

Oh, and if you make me eat and drink too much or swim in the pool too long, I will want more money.

Larry

Bacalao

*** Sin Bin ***
Jun 5, 2003
Cyber bullies

You guys are not funny are but really sad. Pathetic people who get off on the misery of others responding with crude condensing remarks in an attempt to go for laughs instead of confronting the reality of the situation. Seriously, Is that how you get off here by belittling other people on this forum when their opinions not agree with your own. Is tha how it works here? You seem like the type of people who were bullied your whole lives and now you get off on this fourm by being bullies just to show people how smart and crass you can be.

Bacalao

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Bacalao said:
You guys are not funny are but really sad. Pathetic people who get off on the misery of others responding with crude condensing remarks in an attempt to go for laughs instead of confronting the reality of the situation. Seriously, Is that how you get off here by belittling other people on this forum when their opinions not agree with your own. Is tha how it works here? You seem like the type of people who were bullied your whole lives and now you get off on this fourm by being bullies just to show people how smart and crass you can be.

Bacalao

So....do I have the job or not?

Please throw in some motoconcho money for good measure.

Larry (maid for hire)

You are indeed "reality"

When you argue with reality, you lose - but only 100% of the time.

To understand reality is not the same as to know about outward events. It is to perceive the essential nature of things. The best-informed man is not necessarily the wisest. Indeed there is a danger that precisely in the multiplicity of his knowledge he will lose sight of what is essential. But on the other hand, knowledge of an apparently trivial detail quite often makes it possible to see into the depth of things. And so the wise man will seek to acquire the best possible knowledge about events, but always without becoming dependent upon this knowledge. To recognize the significant in the factual is wisdom.

Robert is right "You need to live it to talk about it".

Perhaps your days are numbered here, no doubt simply because we are pathetic. Reality is the name we give to our disappointments.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Bacalao,
"Resident not tourist" refers to the fact that I know what prices are here. If you care to read my other posts I think you will see that I am not lacking in compassion. As I thought, you are trying to elicit guilt......by posting the terrible news above. I would not wish to demean those deaths by commenting on that in this thread - theirs was a trip, but it should not be in "Trip Reports". That is disrespectful to the dead & the traumatised survivors.
It is abundandantly clear that the original poster fell over backwards to be kind to her maid, & got taken advantage of. She has learned a lot from this, obviously. We ALL know the score on this one & how it works.....first one child, then another, then the brother, aunts, second cousins etc etc.
The really sad thing is that that maid took a job which could have gone to a decent, honest Dominican woman, who would have done the job properly, been more than happy with the salary, & made the employer happy too.
The exploitation was by the "street smart" maid of her Dominican sisters.

Bacalao

*** Sin Bin ***
Jun 5, 2003
Hlywud said:
When you argue with reality, you lose - but only 100% of the time.

To understand reality is not the same as to know about outward events. It is to perceive the essential nature of things. The best-informed man is not necessarily the wisest. Indeed there is a danger that precisely in the multiplicity of his knowledge he will lose sight of what is essential. But on the other hand, knowledge of an apparently trivial detail quite often makes it possible to see into the depth of things. And so the wise man will seek to acquire the best possible knowledge about events, but always without becoming dependent upon this knowledge. To recognize the significant in the factual is wisdom.

Robert is right "You need to live it to talk about it".

Perhaps your days are numbered here, no doubt simply because we are pathetic. Reality is the name we give to our disappointments.

You speak as if you know me personally. I am a confident man who likes to speak his mind Just because I see an issue in a different I should be dismissed as unrealistic? Wasn't it reality that sent those people from the NAGUA, to Puerto Rico on that boat for something better? I probably have more a grasp of what is happening that 90% of the people you encounter everyday of your life. You are the quintessential example of pseudo-intellectual bullshit that I ve ever encounter. Just because you can articulate yourself in above literate manner does not make you an authority of any subject. I bet you have a stutter or are really ugly and this is way of getting revenge on all the people who mocked you as young child. You are not going intimidate me with your abstract diatribe on the ways of the world. It sounds good but it all but it lacks substance and content.Just because my father could not afford to send me to college to take up philosophy dose not mean I do not understand way the world worlds nor am I unrealistic. I ve never seen a bigger group of elitists and bullies in my life. I have to ask why do you go to the Dominican Republic if you are constantly mocking the people and their culture?

Bacalao

Status
Not open for further replies.