Advice needed on a short move

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
I have been to the DR 6 times in the last six years and i have been following posts on this site for almost a year. I feel that in this time i have come a long way in my knowledge of the DR when compared with my honeymoon (when my wife thought that the DR was off the coast or the Republic of Ireland).

We are very seriously considering a complete new life. Some serious things have happened to us over here and the best thing is a new life. We dont intend on living in the DR, we just want to come over for 2/3 months.

I have a small business here in England that would sell for ?4,000 to ?5000 ($7k). I also have a very good Dominican friend over here who has married an English friend of mine. He has a very big family in Montellano. I am a Jehovahs Witness and so is he, I dont know everyones knowledge of us but.........needless to say.........we would be looked after with regard to accommodation. When we visited the Kingdom Hall (Salon de Reino?) in Montellano in June we found that a number of Jehovahs Witness families live right next to the Kingdom Hall on one particular street.

I would like some advice from all you please, this would be the biggest thing that we have ever done in our lives. We would be coming over with the amount of money that i have mentioned. We wouldnt have intentions to work but i don't understand the 'ins and outs' of visas and the whole 'living in another country'. We need to relax for a good couple of months, visit all the places we don't get chance to when we have a 2 week vacation. As long as we are fed and have accomodation then (in my mind) we are more than half way there. Yeah, my wife would have more bites on her legs than bare flesh but.........we feel it would be worth it.

In advance.........thanks for your posts, this is a huge thing to us and we really appreciate your input!

I have a relatively good idea on the price of accomodation (maybe i could even get free lodgings with people i know), what i have no idea about really is the cost of food and how that might work out on a daily or weekly basis. Please continue to give suggestions on accomodation though, we really need DR1's help !

Last edited:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
How are you, tired_boy? You must still be coping with the loss, & our hearts go out to you.
To answer your question about food costs, I spend about 10,000 pesos a month on food shopping, that is for 2 of us. That is about 125 pounds sterling. Obviously my cupboards contain a stock of spices etc which last a while, you may have more start up costs on these sorts of things initially. I, too, am British, been here 12 years & live in Puerto Plata, which is not far from Montellano. Any help you need, do get in touch. You can PM if you would like to.