What brings you to the DR!

nicaraguense

Aug 9, 2004
www.jpcreative.ca
First, awesome board. I've been reading the forums for about two years, after my first trip to the Dominican, and it has been a valuable resource for information and entertainment. My questions are:

-What brought you to the DR?
-Where do you come from?
-What was your life like and how has it changed as a result?
and
-What made it possible for you to live here?(ie. local work, business, lottery winnings,...etc.)

I'd love to hear your stories. I've seen them scattered all over the board, but if they could be gathered in a thread, that'd be great.

Nicaraguense

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
nicaraguense said:
First, awesome board. I've been reading the forums for about two years, after my first trip to the Dominican.......................................................

.........................................................Republic

AA brought me, and still does, 6 or 7 times a year.

Are you actually Nicaraguense? I just got back from Managua, Masaya and Leon on Wednesday.

tiitu

Jun 29, 2004
Not living in there (yet?)

nicaraguense said:
First, awesome board. I've been reading the forums for about two years, after my first trip to the Dominican, and it has been a valuable resource for information and entertainment. My questions are:

-Where do you come from?
and
-What made it possible for you to live here?(ie. local work, business, lottery winnings,...etc.)

I'd love to hear your stories. I've seen them scattered all over the board, but if they could be gathered in a thread, that'd be great.

Nicaraguense

1. My first visit happened years ago. It was just good luck I chose Dom.Rep. Maybe it was the times I was living at that moment
( http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33622&page=3&pp=15 )
or something else, but I felt that I found something new about myself from there. Next time I came, I rented a house from Sosua, and started to investigate what more was there. And after that there has been no turning back. When I met my husband, I immediatly introduced Dom.Rep. to him too. The reasons we keep coming back over and over again are mergengue, friends, the weather, easy way of living (not taking everything so serious). And then there is one family there, who we help from time to time and they are the ones, who let us feel, that we have a part of our family living in Dom.Rep.

2. I come from Finland

3. Don't know YET

4. We have our own business in Finland, and our plan is make it to run on it's own, so in the future we could spend at least a part of a year in Dom.Rep.

So this is my story...
What is your story, nicaraguense?

Chareena

Apr 3, 2004
janssoncarina.blogspot.com
Crazy about DR

nicaraguense said:

We made our first trip to DR in year 2000. My husband had his 40th birthday and we wanted to something special. We decided to travel somewhere far away and happened to choose DR. A that time we knew practically nothing about DR and chose to go there because a woman in my spanish course had been there and showed beautiful pictures and furthermore she had only good things to say about DR.

At the first trip when I stepped out of the plane a got a feeling like "yes, this my place, I have finally come home". Since then we have been visiting DR every year and don't wish to go anywhere else. I think this is because the Dominicans are wonderful and warm people and we have become very good friends with a Dominican family. They treat us like we belong to the family.

-Where do you come from?

Finland. When you come from Finland DR is really far away on the other side of the world.

Personally I think I have learned many things about life and I more and more question the way of life we have here in Europe. There are other ways to live your life than collecting houses, cars and other material things like people do here in Finland.

And, our phone bill is huge nowadays because of (weekly) phone calls to friends in DR.

and

I'm still only dreaming about living there.

Last edited:

nicaraguense

Aug 9, 2004
www.jpcreative.ca
What is your story, nicaraguense?

Well, not too much of a story i'm afraid. I'm living in Toronto and working as a web designer at the moment. I've been to the DR 2x and I loved it immediately. I was actually born in Esteli (Nicaragua), so I'm able to speak spanish fluently. Dominican people are awesome once you get used to the Tigres, and though the 'poverty' factor is unfortunate, Dominican's know how to enjoy what blessings they do have.

I love the DR because in it I feel free. I love the weather, the beach, the culture, and the risk that entails living there,...just look at those roads :) My wife and I had a wipeout on a moped in our last trip, nothing serious, but it made a good story. I guess i'm sick of having a predictable existence. Here you can plan your life from start to finish, the weather sucks, there's no sense of freedom, and the culture is anti-social.

I only dream of living there at the moment, the only thing keeping me in Can. is the $$. Thanks for the replies everyone.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
Hey there.

Went to the DR for the first time about 5 years ago...and go back any chance I can get. I kinda stumbled on the DR when trying to plan a trip to PR. The PR trip was becoming way to expensive for my budget (120 us for a really crappy hotel)...and a friend of mine recommended the DR...he had been there twice and commented on how much fun he had.

My first trip was my first carib experience. I kinda went to check out some of the hot guys....but soon found myself intoxicated by the culture and the island. I am half latino myself...and loved the fact that I had to actually use the language...and by the time I left I was thinking and dreaming and spanish. Although I am hardly fluent....I DO really like practicing the language...and when I am here in nyc and am in a latino restaurant or store...I try to use the language to the best of my ability.

Just today...i ate my breakfast totally en espanol with my waitress...and when my apt was broken into i pretty much speak espanol with my super.

So.....i think even though my original intent in traveling to the dr was kind of shallow (looking for cute guys)....i have come back with so much knowledge and experience about my own 1/2 latino side, and i continue to explore and travel more and more around the island (ok...i still check out some of the cute guys too :) but its just so much more to me. The beaches, the city, traveling in a guagua, snorkeling....(i want to check out the mountains).

In the meantime tho...i live in nyc (actually jersey city....just across the river). Work as a graphic designer for a major wall street firm (it pays the bills), and i have been seeing a closeted Dominican man for the past 1.5 yrs. Reading the many threads here has actually helped me maintaining my "friendship" with this man. I have just noticed certain cultural differences between us...and having this site and being able to travel to the DR....i sorta "get" him.

Sigh...my only problem is that i have the lack of resources to actually LIVE in the DR. Im not sure if i would want to spend the rest of my life there...but would really love the opportunity to spend more than 2 weeks there a year. When i FINALY win the Lottery....i would love to spend about a year or so there...teach english and computers skills......and of COURSE ...check out the hot guys :)

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
Nica and Jrsy..

Nica,
There's are some Dominicans in Toronto. I think you should do a thread search. And many more that are in Toronto and love DR. So do check out the Toronto threads.

Jrzyguy,
You are too much...I can FEEL your sigh! Keep crossing your fingers. BTW, do you know Francisco Lazada (hope I didn't misspell). He's Dominican and out and politically active. Even started his own org. Tap into him. He's worked on some of the programs in the tri-state area and in DR. He's mad good peeps.

Peace
D

Riu

Jun 11, 2004
Welcome Nicaraguense

My story is short. I went on vacation about 1 year ago to the Bavaro area. I was in awe in the way people lived, friendlyness, they way they go about everything. They are truly incredible people. The weather is great, the beach second to none and my list would go on and on.

Originally from NYC, my job takes me around, I am currently in Buenos Aires. My plans are to move to the DR once my project is completed in Buenos Aires for New York City, although is one of the greatest city in the world, is no longer a good choice for living, specially to raise a family. So I am looking to be as far south as I can from NYC and the DR is it.