Travel to DR w/ medications?

mommytorres

Aug 9, 2004
My husband and I are planning on visiting DR in March for my brother-in-law's wedding. I myself have an autoimmune disease that requires medication. Chances are I will be leaving the Celebrex and steroids at home and just taking the pain medications (celebrex is over $200, pain meds about $12, don't want to lose the expensive meds). My question is, is vicodin (hydrocodone) an illegial narcotic in the DR? This would be a legal US prescription labeled with my name and such. I already know to bring copies of my medical record in case I get ill. I am also going a step further by having the doctor translate them for my trip. Any suggestions or warnings? Thank you!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I'd suggest doing what you are doing with respect to supporting documentation, but if your bags are checked like those of many tourists, the question of your meds will never come up.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I returned to DR from a UK trip a few months back, bringing a 2 year supply of glucosamine sulphate. This is a natural product, not a drug but it IS a white powder. I got a letter of explanation from British Consular Agent in Puerto Plata, before I left to go to UK & put it at top of suitcase on return journey. It was addressed to the Head of Customs. Absolutely no problem on return..........other than they got me for the perfumes (I did have rather a lot!). Sounds like you're doing very good preparation. You will only have a small quantity, I presume? Sometimes it helps to get the pharmacist to pack your meds. sealed with a pharmacist's label & green cross. I wouldn't have thought a consular letter was necessary for you. Tourists rarely get searched, residents are a different category.

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
My dad travelled with us this year and he is on steroids and other serious medication. he brought everything in their regular bottles and never got stopped. you should be fine.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Every trip I bring my cardiac meds.

I always bring them in pharmacist labelled bottles and boxes and in a Zip-Loc bag which I label Medicaci?n del Coraz?n.

I have never been delayed at all.

Gregg

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Heck I brought in Lidocaine and Novacaine (both narcotic class drugs)

to give to the local clinic with no problems. This last trip I also brought Celebrex (for hubby) along with a LARGE suitcase filled with my prescription meds (for heart) and ALL my food supplements with nary a word from the customs officials. All prescriptions were labelled but a lot of the supplements were just in ziplocs (takes less room) with a hand printed tape on the bags denoting which pills or capsules were which.

Carry any needed meds in your hand luggage/carry-on bag and you won't "lose" it.

Argo

*** Sin Bin ***
Aug 5, 2004
Odd drugs

MommC said:
to give to the local clinic with no problems. This last trip I also brought Celebrex (for hubby) along with a LARGE suitcase filled with my prescription meds (for heart) and ALL my food supplements with nary a word from the customs officials. All prescriptions were labelled but a lot of the supplements were just in ziplocs (takes less room) with a hand printed tape on the bags denoting which pills or capsules were which.

Carry any needed meds in your hand luggage/carry-on bag and you won't "lose" it.

Do they really classify local anesthetics (Novocain and Lidocain) as NARCOTICS where you live? How very odd (yes I realize they are also used for cardiac problems)

MaryS

Feb 13, 2003
I've never had a problem bringing pain pills or muscle relaxants to the DR. I did not bring my B12 with me last time and found that I had to buy the needles and the vial of B6 at the pharmacy and then take to doctor to get my shot.

The needles and med were very cheap compared to where I live.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
mommytorres said:
Chances are I will be leaving the Celebrex and steroids at home and just taking the pain medications (celebrex is over $200, pain meds about $12, don't want to lose the expensive meds). Any suggestions or warnings? Thank you!

Why would you deny yourself the access to the expensive meds that will help you just because you are concerned you may lose them?

Take the medications with you and when you are in pain and uncomfortable, especially in this foreign country you will have the piece of mind of knowing you have all your meds right at hand for your relief. If you refuse yourself of bringing your meds and a health emergency arises you or somebody may have to scramble around some unknown area to find a pharmacy/chemist who may or may not have the medicines you require.

A compromise would to take only as much you need for your duration of the trip plus one or two days and follow the suggestions of the previous posters. Make sure the medications are labeled properly and in their original packaging and you will have no problems.

Enjoy your trip and have a great time at the wedding.

Regards,
PJT

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Yes....according to an emerg nurse anything labelled "cain" is considered a narcotic

Argo said:
Do they really classify local anesthetics (Novocain and Lidocain) as NARCOTICS where you live? How very odd (yes I realize they are also used for cardiac problems)

and is subject to stiff penalties if not obtained via prescription. The stuff I had was obtained from a home care murse in the US and carried first into Canada then transported to the DR. According to my emergency room source had I been searched at the border either coming into Canada from the US or entering the US from Canada (we had to travel through Miami to get to Santo Domingo) I could have ended up in jail! (good thing I didn't know about it at the time......the doctor at the clinic was ecstatic to have the drugs to use for freezing before putting in stitches!).
However it was no problem at all to bring them into the DR (so much for zero tolerance!) :D

tondra

Dec 12, 2002
www.professionalsintouch.com
I transported much more!

I came down in Feb. of 2003 with a lot of medical supplies for barrio clinics--syringes, drainage supplies, various medications, inhalers, etc. and did not have a problem. I also brought with me a letter from the local doctor stating why I was transporting the supplies. I think a letter from your physician and your original prescription bottle will be sufficient.

Enjoy your stay,

Tondra

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
tondra said:
I came down in Feb. of 2003 with a lot of medical supplies for barrio clinics--syringes, drainage supplies, various medications, inhalers, etc. and did not have a problem. I also brought with me a letter from the local doctor stating why I was transporting the supplies. I think a letter from your physician and your original prescription bottle will be sufficient.

Enjoy your stay,

Tondra

& they were GREATfully received by Gregorio & Luis!!!! I ALWAYS get a BIG smile from both of them whenever I go in these days!

If anyone has excess medicines left at the end of their holiday (or can get excess medical stuff to bring down with them) the Barrio clinics & farmacias are ALWAYS happy to receive them. Please insist that they are for FREE issue to the needy when you leave them at famacias - if you want me to come with you, I'll gladly do so! - Grahame.