Made in DR

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
I thought it would be educational for our future residents, to make up a list of all the great things made and/or seen only in the Dominican Republic! And please feel free to ad on to the list! So here we go!

On the road:
- Home made convertible: Remove the doors if you can?t close them anymore and make sure to wear your seatbelt so not to get a ticket!

- While on the road if the driver beside you puts his arm out, it does give him the right to cut you off at any time!

- A while ago a new law stated that helmets were obligatory for motorcycle drivers. The only thing the law did not specify was the kind, and how the helmet should be used. We were in for a parade of colorful helmets; construction hats, plastic baseball hats, cycling protective hats, military combat hats, etc. And if you?re lucky enough to find yourself a real helmet, you can wear it; on your harm, attached to your bike, at the tip of your head or in between your legs!

- Family transportation: A moped with your 4 siblings holding on for their life behind you, for more room; hold your 4 month old baby on your side.

- Can?t afford AC in your car? Install an 8? fan on your dash. As a sun blind for your side window, take your husband?s used t-shirt and carefully hang it from the roof before closing the door.

- While driving your moped on the highway, if you feel a little tired, simply lie down on your back and drive with your feet. And for those of you who would like to speed up, use the ?aerodynamic? position; simply lie on your belly and stretch out your legs on the back seat. (This is for real!)

Tips:
- If you can?t afford a satellite dish, you can make your own out of: A metal bucket, a fan?s helices and some cable! See picture on the Media Gallery.

- Ladies, forget umbrellas! Always make sure to carry a supermarket plastic bag in your purse for those rainy days; put it on your head and Voila!

- The ?multi-function pinky?: Let your pinky fingernail grow as long as possible and use it as a Q-tip or toothpick.

- If you are sitting in a public place and a nice young man walks up to you and gives you some chocolate bars as a gift and walks away, have your wallet ready he will be back 3 minutes later to get paid.

- While in a conversation, if you don?t understand the question, simple make the ?moving nostrils? sign, and if you need to point something out, use your lips instead of your finger.

- If you have AC in your office use only these two settings; off and FULL, and wear your winter coat!

Shopping:
- When you enter a store, be prepared to have your own personal bodyguard following your every move. Careful not to step on her feet, as she will be standing 1 inch behind you.

- While waiting at the cash register, even if 15 minutes passes by, do not disturb the cashier?s personal telephone conversation as she could be talking to her future husband!

This is what I love about this ?pueblo?; they have a solution for everything and they?ll always have you smiling!
:confused:

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Lmao!!

Loved it!!! And the best part is that I've seen each and every example!

To add another one to the list, if your job is mowing lawns and you have your own lawnmower, don't waste money getting a pickup to transport it. Just get a motorcycle, pass the handlebar under your bottom and drag it around even if the wheels are totally spent. And make sure to go over 30km/h!

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Just saw another one!

If you have a flat on the back tire of your motorcycle, simply ride sitting on the gas tank so not to put any weight on the back! :classic:

jcarn

Jun 28, 2004
juanita said:
- If you can?t afford a satellite dish, you can make your own out of: A metal bucket, a fan?s helices and some cable! See picture on the Media Gallery.

I looked all over the media gallery for that picture and couldnt find it :confused:

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
I know!

I put it up twice and it doesn't work? Robert says it has to be approved first! Did I do something wrong or what? :(

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Here's another one that had me stuck in a traffic jam for 25 minutes this morning...

When there's "luz" the Amet policemen are all over the place creating chaos instead of letting the traffic light do their job. When there's no "luz" you can't see one anywhere.

Then you've got the drivers. When you see the traffic's stopped up across the street, make sure you cut off other cars to get yours in the middle of the intersection and block off 2 sides plus the cars behind you. Then if you're lucky, someone else will drive up perpendicular to your car door, effectively blocking off the only lane that could have moved. Then you get to play shuffle puzzle to get out! How fun!

JANET/NJ

Jun 21, 2004
Funny

AS I READ YOU POST........I FELT AS IF I WAS THERE, WATCHING ALL THESE INTERESTING THINGS GOING ON FROM MY PORCH IN DR.
IT'S A VERY INTERESTING COUNTRY, WHERE ELSE CAN YOU BUY MOST OF YOU FRUITS AND VIANDAS FROM VENDORS ON YOUR WAY HOME WITHOUT GETTING OUT OF THE CAR.

AS I RECALL THE RIGHT HAND CAN ALSO BE USED BY THE DRIVER TO HOLD
THE DOOR IN PLACE :classic:

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Street shopping!

You?re right! Seating in your car waiting for the traffic light on the corner of 27 de Febrero, you can buy the following: Fruits and vegetables, puppies, birds, rabbits, calling cards, cactus, water, homemade satellite devices, mirrors, cellular phone accessories, cashews, cheese, and of course, roses for your lady! :cross-eye

Last edited:

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Homemade Satellite dish

:cool: Ok folks! The picture is up on the Media Gallery, check it out for a good laugh!

aaemet

Nov 11, 2003
who turned the lights off?

:paranoid:

I was just at the Super Mercado in Santiago at night and the lights went out. Everyone stood still for a minute until the generators kicked in. Then immediately everyone continued walking and shopping as if nothing happened. It was like putting your VCR on pause for a minute.

.....only in DR!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
juanita said:
You?re right! Seating in your car waiting for the traffic light on the corner of 27 de Febrero, you can buy the following: Fruits and vegetables, puppies, birds, rabbits, calling cards, cactus, water, homemade satellite devices, mirrors, cellular phone accessories, cashews, cheese, and of course, roses for your lady! :cross-eye

Don't forget newspapers.

Great thread, funny but true. Asi es la vida en la Republica Dominican.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Missing body parts

I always wondered why we see so many people around Santo Domingo with missing body parts like; arms or hands, than I started to look at the public car?s drivers and how they always drive with half their body hanging out the window to make more room for the 3 passengers sitting in the front. Don?t mean to make this a sick joke, but could this be the reason? They always have their whole arm out the window!! :ermm:

eudi

*** Sin Bin ***
May 7, 2004
This i see crazy and funny

This is only see in the dominican republic ,My grandmother used to make a whole 10 plus people soup out of a little condensed soup . (this soup would not fill not even one person).And i dont know how she manage to do that . It was like a miracle no lie. But is funny

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Don't care if they make a sale or not?

newuser said:
How about store owners/employees that don't care if they make a sale or not? The other day I entered a colmado and asked for two 250 peso calling cards plus some miscellaneous items and the total came up to 640 pesos.

I handed the owner/employee a 1000 peso bill. She opened the cash drawer and counted out my change of 360 pesos. Just as she was about to hand me the change she changed her mind and told me that she could not give me change because if she did she wouldn't have change for other customers that might come to buy something. HUH?

She gave me back the 1000 peso bill and I was on my way to another colmado.

This reminds me of my shopping experience from 2 weeks ago. These days it?s like the ?white? is in big fashion, so I went out to get myself an outfit to go with the trend. I spend 3/4 of an hour looking for the perfect outfit, finally I find it! I also manage to pick up a cute bathing suit and a pretty bra on the way! I wait for my turn in the line at the changing room and finally make it to the nice little ?number? lady who says to me; ?sorry, you can?t try out anything in white, can?t try out the bra or the bathing suit either?!!!!!!!!! What???????? Mad, I thought fine and just put everything in the basket besides her, when I hear; ?sorry, you have to take the items back to where you got them?!!!! What????????? Red as a lobster, I responded ?sorry that is not my job? and walked away while I could hear her scream in my back! Talk about loosing sales! You just have to love this country! :ermm:

Chareena

Apr 3, 2004
janssoncarina.blogspot.com
juanita said:
?sorry, you can?t try out anything in white, can?t try out the bra or the bathing suit either?!!!!!!!!! :

I think I lost you here... Why couldn't you try out any of those clothes? Because they would be dirty or...?

In my country you can try out white clothes, even bras or bathing suites, but the with the latter you can't go back to the shop afterwards and change them if you find there is something wrong with them or they don't fit you after all.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Cross your fingers and hope it fits!

Chareena said:
I think I lost you here... Why couldn't you try out any of those clothes? Because they would be dirty or...?

In my country you can try out white clothes, even bras or bathing suites, but the with the latter you can't go back to the shop afterwards and change them if you find there is something wrong with them or they don't fit you after all.

Nope! Most stores in the DR won't let you try anything white or light color so not to get them durty! You're only lucky if they have the same item in another dark color. If they only have it in white; you cross your fingers, buy it and hope it fits! Same with bras and bikinis. Damn in Canada you can even try on panties! :laugh:

quejeyoke

Jun 20, 2004
santacachuchas batman!

I finally went to the what the noise is with the home made satelite dish and almost fell off my chair. That is SOME piece of equipment. Back in the teleclub days "the dish" was just the back grille of a pedestal fan and a metal hanger making a triangular shape attached to the fan grille and you had to hang it on window bars or the like for it to stay up. But this device I just witnessed in the gallery looks like it got enough metal to be able to listen to extra terrestrial activity. Good job to whoever beat the system...

Last edited: