Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Made in DR

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Made in DR

I thought it would be educational for our future residents, to make up a list of all the great things made and/or seen only in the Dominican Republic! And please feel free to ad on to the list! So here we go!

On the road:
    - Home made convertible: Remove the doors if you can’t close them anymore and make sure to wear your seatbelt so not to get a ticket!

- While on the road if the driver beside you puts his arm out, it does give him the right to cut you off at any time!

- A while ago a new law stated that helmets were obligatory for motorcycle drivers. The only thing the law did not specify was the kind, and how the helmet should be used. We were in for a parade of colorful helmets; construction hats, plastic baseball hats, cycling protective hats, military combat hats, etc. And if you’re lucky enough to find yourself a real helmet, you can wear it; on your harm, attached to your bike, at the tip of your head or in between your legs!

- Family transportation: A moped with your 4 siblings holding on for their life behind you, for more room; hold your 4 month old baby on your side.

- Can’t afford AC in your car? Install an 8” fan on your dash. As a sun blind for your side window, take your husband’s used t-shirt and carefully hang it from the roof before closing the door.

- While driving your moped on the highway, if you feel a little tired, simply lie down on your back and drive with your feet. And for those of you who would like to speed up, use the “aerodynamic” position; simply lie on your belly and stretch out your legs on the back seat. (This is for real!)

Tips:
    - If you can’t afford a satellite dish, you can make your own out of: A metal bucket, a fan’s helices and some cable! See picture on the Media Gallery.

- Ladies, forget umbrellas! Always make sure to carry a supermarket plastic bag in your purse for those rainy days; put it on your head and Voila!

- The “multi-function pinky”: Let your pinky fingernail grow as long as possible and use it as a Q-tip or toothpick.

- If you are sitting in a public place and a nice young man walks up to you and gives you some chocolate bars as a gift and walks away, have your wallet ready he will be back 3 minutes later to get paid.

- While in a conversation, if you don’t understand the question, simple make the “moving nostrils” sign, and if you need to point something out, use your lips instead of your finger.

- If you have AC in your office use only these two settings; off and FULL, and wear your winter coat!

Shopping:
    - When you enter a store, be prepared to have your own personal bodyguard following your every move. Careful not to step on her feet, as she will be standing 1 inch behind you.

- While waiting at the cash register, even if 15 minutes passes by, do not disturb the cashier’s personal telephone conversation as she could be talking to her future husband!

This is what I love about this “pueblo”; they have a solution for everything and they’ll always have you smiling!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Lmao!!

Loved it!!! And the best part is that I've seen each and every example!

To add another one to the list, if your job is mowing lawns and you have your own lawnmower, don't waste money getting a pickup to transport it. Just get a motorcycle, pass the handlebar under your bottom and drag it around even if the wheels are totally spent. And make sure to go over 30km/h!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Just saw another one!

If you have a flat on the back tire of your motorcycle, simply ride sitting on the gas tank so not to put any weight on the back!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by juanita
    - If you can’t afford a satellite dish, you can make your own out of: A metal bucket, a fan’s helices and some cable! See picture on the Media Gallery.
    I looked all over the media gallery for that picture and couldnt find it

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I know!

I put it up twice and it doesn't work? Robert says it has to be approved first! Did I do something wrong or what?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's another one that had me stuck in a traffic jam for 25 minutes this morning...

When there's "luz" the Amet policemen are all over the place creating chaos instead of letting the traffic light do their job. When there's no "luz" you can't see one anywhere.

Then you've got the drivers. When you see the traffic's stopped up across the street, make sure you cut off other cars to get yours in the middle of the intersection and block off 2 sides plus the cars behind you. Then if you're lucky, someone else will drive up perpendicular to your car door, effectively blocking off the only lane that could have moved. Then you get to play shuffle puzzle to get out! How fun!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Funny

AS I READ YOU POST........I FELT AS IF I WAS THERE, WATCHING ALL THESE INTERESTING THINGS GOING ON FROM MY PORCH IN DR.
    IT'S A VERY INTERESTING COUNTRY, WHERE ELSE CAN YOU BUY MOST OF YOU FRUITS AND VIANDAS FROM VENDORS ON YOUR WAY HOME WITHOUT GETTING OUT OF THE CAR.

AS I RECALL THE RIGHT HAND CAN ALSO BE USED BY THE DRIVER TO HOLD
    THE DOOR IN PLACE

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Street shopping!

You’re right! Seating in your car waiting for the traffic light on the corner of 27 de Febrero, you can buy the following: Fruits and vegetables, puppies, birds, rabbits, calling cards, cactus, water, homemade satellite devices, mirrors, cellular phone accessories, cashews, cheese, and of course, roses for your lady!
    Last edited by juanita; 08-11-2004 at 01:14 PM. Reason: oopsss bad spelling!

Goddess
    Post Thanks / Like

Utterly hillarious. And true.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Homemade Satellite dish

Ok folks! The picture is up on the Media Gallery, check it out for a good laugh!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast