A visit to Canada from a Dominicana's viewpoint

Lottusflower

Dec 15, 2003
Dear All.. This is the whole draft....

Comming to Canda was a great and lovely experience... From a dominican point of view my first and most candid surprise was to see when flying from Toronto to Sudbury Lake Ontario... I thought it was the sea and had to ask... just to find that it is the smallest of the 5 great lakes.... Then when arriving to Sudbury, I was greated with rain and wind and cold.. and we where in summer....!!! But as I alwayes said, I brought some Caribeean sunhine with me and the following days never showed any rain....

I travelled the same day thru the Spannish Forest to Chapleau, where I felt the urgent need to pee and my dainty ars encountered the first of many big ontario mosquitos... My opinion on them is the following, being bigger does not mean being smarter... I found them to be quite dumb flying and easy to spot and kill... Not the same for Pine bugs... but luckily I got out safe of those...

I can proudly say that Canadians are Canada's best asset. They are well educated and sincerely nice. They have this warmth to them and a good and sincere kindness that is easy to spot. They will trust you to say the truth and will trust your answers... that was a bit disturbing since I deal everyday here in D.R. with so many people that lie.

I was awed by the amazing beauty of the scenery and the quietness and the respect for the individual that they had. Although I missed guys turning around the minute I walked by, to stare at my a.., I can say that their respect while adressing me at all times was more than compensation for us dominican girls egos...

I had the opportunety to visit White Lake Provincial Park, and go for a true camping experience... My first try at fishing I caught a small Pickerel.. which my beau with his brother and nephew made me return to the water...The next day, when I finally got the casting right, I caugth a big Pike... Which we also ended up returning since, I found out the fish meat is not so nice...

When in confrontation of a Canadian lake, you can't help but to ask GOD, why did he give them so much and us so little... But even God compensated us by keeping the cold winter months away... A deep sense of Peace was encountered.. a feeling of not having to control what is indeed beyond us humans was also reafirmated....

I made friends who ask my beau about me all the time... They asked him as well how did he get this Caribeean girl to come to Canada and cut some yard grass... But any Dominican girl would know that we like things pretty and neat. I can also say that in Summer, Canadians are very proud of their flowers and their yards.... No wonder, I saw all kinds of beautifull flowers...I couldn't help but taking as much pictures as I could for my grandma...

Canadians can also be very open about discusing sex, that was always a surprise for me beacuse we are more tabuish about it, and any good old dominican girl does not discuss such things in public. But they do, and seem to be OK with it...

When comming back, I experimented two new feelings. One, a deep sense of compasition for all of those and us Dominicans who will never see a place as clean and beautifull as Canada, or who will never know that a society like that exists... along came rage, against those who are in our Goverments, and in our Politics, beacuse they have seen what we could become, and knowingly take advantage of the dominicans ignorance....My last fealing was that of comfort to know that Canada does exist and that such multicultural society works with tolerence and a preach of non-violence. It's not a myth...

Finally, when comming back to apagones that last 24 hours, lack of gas, corruption at the airport, and that darn President we still have (HM), I broke down to tears in the JetBlue Flight... to which a nice attendant, replied providing the necesary Scotch, to gulp it up...Free of Charge....

Hope you liked the story...

Loti

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Thank you for that wonderful story. I guess we that live here sometimes forget how lucky we truly are. Hope you come back soon eh! :)

Rosemary

*** Sin Bin ***
Apr 13, 2004
OH Dear !

After reading about your trip Loti , perhaps the fishing idea for a romantic date is not that great after all ! LOL ! I'm so happy you found Canada and Canadians to be the way I knew they would be ! I can well imagine your feelings looking out over the lake, I always feel that way when I try to take in the vastness of this country ! And the deep respect Canadians have for it and it's elements ! We truly are lucky to live here ! I'm glad you shared some of it ! Cant wait till Oct. to hear how the wedding proposal goes ! Much Luck!

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Glad you liked the Great White North .......

along with those Northerners you got to meet.
Too bad I didn't know you were coming or we could have met in Sudbury (just a short ride from North Bay) and spent a day seeing the sights there!
Maybe your next trip you can PM me and we'll do that! We could visit in Juan Dolio after the 23rd of October this year (my arrival date for our winter stay).
Glad you liked what you saw and had the opportunity to get to know us Canadians a bit better. We do tend to be a "strange" lot at times -must be those cold winter months :) but we love to show off Gods' country to newcomers no matter where they come from.

There's several Dominicans living here in North Bay (altho' I haven't met them personally my hubby has!) and I listen to Spanish daily in my back yard as there is a Mexican/Canadian family who lives across the stream on the next street over. We holler greetings across the way when we are tending our gardens (altho' I haven't really met them either) and when my grandson plays soccer there is a girl on his team who hails from Peru so it's kind of nice to be able to speak Spanish occassionally.

Even the mosquitos are friendly in that they warn you of their arrival (they sound like a dive bomber) and being large enough to see you can swat them before they do much damage.

Hope you visit again soon (as does your bf! :bunny: )

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Speechless

I am neither Canadian nor Dominican but this story actually brought tears to my eyes. How refreshing it is to hear of this experience. I am at a loss for words right now, as this story has touched my heart. Anna, please repeat this in the trip report section so more will read it. I will make more comments later.
Charlie

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Loti,
What a wonderful story & so well written. Now if only that rage against politicians could be harnessed...........please, share that anger with your Dominican brothers & sisters, if enough people know what you mean, we could all move forward!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Loti: Your visuals were outstanding

Apparently not all Canadians ignored your nice arse. The mosquitos didn't!! :D:D:

Nicely written post. Thanks.

HB

Lottusflower

Dec 15, 2003
Thank you for your feedback...

The ones that have asked to meet when I am back in Canada in December... we will.. I always visit the site, so I will be in touch.... The complete experience was very fullfilling and it has lasted... Regarding those who asked about the visitors visa process... It was easier than I thought it would be a simple invitation letter, and a bank reference letter, plus employer letter and patience, and patience did it.... I hope that this story has a happy ending for all of you as well....

Loti :D

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
More thoughts

May be not all who read this thread will feel the way that I do but you will have to admit that it is a breath of fresh air. So many things in it touched my emotions.

First was the joy of hearing a Dominican speak of how wonderful my neighbors to the North are, and how she was welcomed with such open arms. Her joy in seeing the Great Lakes parallels my excitement in seeing the crystal clear waters of the DR for the first time. I must say that those Canadian guys who did not take notice of a Dominican woman?s a** in those tight pants they ware must be nuts. I can hardly drive in the DR, because I am always looking and getting slapped by my novia.

The way Lottus said ?they have this warmth to them and a good and sincere kindness that is easy to spot?, could as well have been said about most of the Dominicans I see in my visits there.

Her thoughts on things we take for granted like, flowers and yards made me laugh a little. I try to explain to my novia that I am planting 25 pots of petunias and 13 flats of other annuals, and it only cost me $275 this year, she thinks I am crazy. Just imagine if I told her that the grass needs to be cut twice a week, or that I like to get in my outside Hot Tub when it is zero degrees in January.

I must say that I got chocked up as she wrote of her return to the DR. It is such a shame that in a country like the DR that so many wonderful people will never have the opportunity to live the lifestyle we enjoy in North America. I guess it is because I have a loved one in the DR that I am outraged my novia and her child are dentin to live in poverty in a nation that could be so much more.

How profound is this statement?

?When coming back, I experienced two new feelings. One, a deep sense of compasition for all of those and us Dominicans who will never see a place as clean and beautiful as Canada, or who will never know that a society like that exists... along came rage, against those who are in our Governments, and in our Politics, because they have seen what we could become, and knowingly take advantage of the Dominicans ignorance....My last feeling was that of comfort to know that Canada does exist and that such multicultural society works with tolerance and a preach of non-violence. It's not a myth...?
For those of us who love the Dominican Republic and its people it is so sad.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Thanks so much for sharing your story. I haven't been back home (Quebec) for over 4 years and reading your post reminded me of all the stuff I miss most. Even the flowers...

I'm glad you had a nice time and once again thanks sharing with us what you felt.

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
switch ... ??

Wanna switch Lottusflower ??? .... you can have my spot here in the T dot O and ill have yours in DR ??? ..... I know you wanna .. commonnnnn ...

... My time will come soon enough to get outta this crappy so called summers and winters from hell ..

SOONER THAN LATER !!!

........ nice story though, we're all up in the sex talk :)

simpson Homer

Bronze
Nov 14, 2003
well

You are right about how great is CANADA, I hard to say the true about how dirty is the DR. Garbage every where and I don't blame the Dominican people because is goverment fault.

There is not point to put the garbage in places where the Dominican goverment is not going to work for it, Not point to pay electricity because you never will get the service.

I am a proud Dominican in Canada, I love Canada and for real bring tears out just to see how bad is getting the DR.

Canada is Organize in all the way.

Health
Police
Fire department
Ambulance
Garbage services
enviroment
Politic
MAIL service
School
water (you can drink in most places)
Human rights
Transportation
People have oportunities to work and SAVE money
you can solve many problems on the phone with out go in person
you have rights to return or change things that you get at the stores if you d like or not.
the best thing "Not Matter where you go" any Canadian citizen has protection
overseas.

Where Dominican Rep. has the potential to be the Best Country in the Caribbean. or at the least has a few good services. that's sad ehh! :cry:

The only good thing we have in the Dominican is the friendly people.

The problem is not the Dominican Rep. as country, the problems are the Dominican leaders :cry:

Homero aka

Last edited:

NubeLuz

Jul 23, 2004
Wow Loti, that was a very nice story. I am Canadian and so happy to hear from you and know that you had a great time here. Thank you for sharing your story and hope you will be back soon :) !!!!!
NubeLuz xxx

tondra

Dec 12, 2002
www.professionalsintouch.com
I second the kudos for Canada!

I first visited the DR in Feb. of 2003 and then was lucky enough to take another journey in Nov. of 2003 to Nova Scotia. I loved them both! They both share a population of friendly and generous people and have a topography that is breathtaking! I loved the sun of Puerto Plata and its sandy beaches, but also relished the foggy mornings across a pine sheltered cove in Nova Scotia.

I hope I am lucky enough to visit them both again soon and wonder once again at the untainted environment they both offer those of us who do not share nature's beauty on a daily basis. (I know........I am sounding sappy.........but they both evoked an initial response from me in this way.) Thank God there are still places on this earth that allow me to leave the rat-race behind and enjoy an unhurried time.

Thank you for keeping these spaces for us,

Tondra

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
tondra said:
I hope I am lucky enough to visit them both again soon and wonder once again at the untainted environment they both offer those of us who do not share nature's beauty on a daily basis.
"Untainted environment"? In the DR??? :confused: What part did you visit?

tondra

Dec 12, 2002
www.professionalsintouch.com
Well,......

I guess I am speaking poetically. I mean the spirit of the people have not been depressed with a "hustle and bustle" world and the vegetation still appears lush (I know the water is not so hot :) ). It is lovely to view from the air and from the land. The energy of the place allowed me to let go of the losses I had experienced for the past few years.......a great place to regenerate.

Tondra

puppylove

Nov 24, 2002
You said it so well....

Wow, as many others said, your description of your trip was breath taking. I am a Canadian living in the Prairies, the flat land of Saskatchewan. I grew up in Southern Ontario and often visited the northern area you spoke of. I find the relaxed atmosphere of Northern Ontario is similar to Saskatchewan, only the prairies are even less stressed on timelines ? everything can wait until tomorrow.
I now call Saskatchewan home, but truly plan on making the DR my home in about 10 ? 15 years from now. I keep hearing ?living in the DR is nothing like vacationing?? but your country touched me in such a way, I want to make a try of it.
I?ve been to Puerto Plata on three separate trips, and have already booked my next visit to Punta Cana.
I could go on and on, but this is your story and I just wanted to say how touching it was. Thank you for sharing your experience!

Sharon